Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poltergeist remake (film)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    You need to unknot your knickers Neil.

First of all, logic has not "left the building", it's a matter of opinion...and opinion based on having watched every one of his pictures, bar his very early efforts before 'The Evil Dead'. Some of which have been multiple affairs. To me, his final products have left a lot to be desired. I don't find them particularly enjoyable, or THAT well made. 'The Evil Dead' can get a pass (somewhat), because he did pump anything and everything into it. However, the finished article is FAR from a great, or even good film and it only enjoys its elevated position amongst horror movies fans because of its troubled and dodgy history. I like 'The Evil Dead II' because of Bruce Campbell primarilly. But, it's essentially a retread of the first film, so after one has seen the first one, the second one is inevitably a letdown.

Also, just because somebody has "directed something original" doesn't make him or her a good director. I also don't agree that he has directed particularly well, either.

Again, it's a matter of opinion. Opinion based on actually viewing his material. I can't abandon those opinions, just because they might be unpopular with some people. I don't particularly rate Cameron for much of his output (I didn't call him shit though) and I see the vast majority of Raimi's output as rubbish. Highly disapointing, could have been much better and not of that high a calibre.

...and I have no doubt WHATSOEVER, based on his previous material, that his proposed remake of 'Poltergeist' will be rubbish.

Of course, if it turns out to be good, then I'll glady eat my hat.

I think my headgear is quite safe though.

My knickers are on perfectly thank you - Anyone who proclaims the director of Spiderman 1 or 2 as rubbish has a very skewed reference point IMHO. By all means proclaim you don't like the films, that you don't like the interpretation of the superhero, or the lead actor, or what ever you like. But the films were solidly made and pretty lovingly crafted. If you can't see that or appreciate that, then I'd again suggest you're being incredibly unfair.

You might have settled for questionable descriptions for Raimi of "average" or "over rated", but nope, you went with "rubbish". And I'd suggest you chose that word not because you felt it was fair, but solely for effect.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sorry folks, logic has left the building...

We really need to sort these silly unnecessarily extreme binary views out folks!

Has he directed well? I'd suggest he has?

Has he directed something original? I'd suggest he has?

Has he written something original? I'd suggest he has?

So even if you didn't enjoy any of the resulting products, how can he be deemed "rubbish"? This is just like the nonsense we had with Cameron a couple of weeks ago where he was "$hit"? I'm sorry, but when someone uses terms like "$hit" and "rubbish" about individuals of this calibre - be it that you enjoy their films or not - I'd suggest it pretty much gives everyone the impression the individual's opinion is far from fair and/or considered, so is more of a rant than anything constructive.

"Forget about it Neil. It's Shootem."

Ireland

"You're a very nosy fellow, kitty cat. Huh? You know what happens to nosy fellows..."
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 30-Apr-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Aaland
    Everyone makes mistakes, even Cameron. I feel like judging someone on their worst project rather than looking at their career as a whole is unfair, unless that project was the most important project in their existence.

Ireland
    I agree. There's always a dud in someones catalogue and it would be wholly unfair to judge based on the odd dud. To look at 'Eyes Wide Shut' and damn Kubrick would be silly, given the offset of '2001'. 'The Shining' and his masterpiece, 'Paths of Glory'. But, likewise, to look at an average, or decent effort and elevate, is equally silly. Looking over Raimi's output, I don't see anything to actually be THAT excited about. Perhaps, calling him "rubbish" is using a colloquialism that may be a little unfair and I didn't mean to upset Neil or anyone here. But, it's my opinion that Raimi isn't that good a director and it's certainly not an opinion that I will withdraw from, because it's based on his past output.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    The thing with Cameron is that he should stick to making movies and playing with submarines instead of self-appointing himself spokesman for hyped causes dujour like global warming. First he went around calling people insulting names who didn't buy into the whole anthropogenic global warming fad. Then he made a complete ass out of himself after challenging anyone to a AGW debate only to back out at the last minute using pathetic excuses when actual scientists took him up on his offer.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Wait.....so because the girl that played the oldest daughter was strangled to death by her deranged boyfriend and the girl the played the youngest daughter died of medical reasons, THAT is why you think they shouldn't remake the film???

Instead of urban legend myths and curses, I'll stick with the thought that they shouldn't remake the film because the original still holds up as a great film today.....

yes because thats all that happened........cmon dude.....people were nearly killed in all three films trying to make them. it was just something they shouldnt have been doing. PERIOD.

United States
    There's no way they could ever top the part of the movie where the guy tears his face off, or the chicken leg with maggots.
    Grody to the max!!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    yes because thats all that happened........cmon dude.....people were nearly killed in all three films trying to make them. it was just something they shouldnt have been doing. PERIOD.
    People nearly die or DO die during every film. It's part of life. People die everyday. Don't buy into the marketing hoopla that surrounds supernatural films like this. They've done it for them all. Exorcist, Omen, Poltergeist, the list goes on and on. It's just to build publicity and pull in any suckers that may believe it...
    Last edited by bassman; 01-May-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: .

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    People nearly die or DO die during every film.
    Yeah, if you're making a film and people aren't dying then you're not doing it right!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Yeah, if you're making a film and people aren't dying then you're not doing it right!
    Maybe I should drop out of film school...

Undisclosed
    C'mon. That's hardly any evidence of any paranormal shenanigans going on? That shit's not real man.
    BTW why did the angry ghosts pick poltergeist and not the paranormal (yawn) activity series?

Speaking of haunted house movies; have any of you guys seen Amityville 2 by that Italian spaghetti western director (too lazy to look up his name now)? It's a lot of fun and way better than the stale first one.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Maybe I should drop out of film school...
    not unless you're planning on doing something on film with that quarter stick of dynamite that you usually save for halloween.
    Last edited by Mike70; 02-May-2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: g
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Aaland
    Bassman knows what he is talking about. He HAS to be in marketing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    dude, there's no such thing as curses. bad stuff happens to people all the time. the little girl in the first movie was already suffering from an incredibly severe case of Krohn's disease. that's what she died from, complications due to her medical condition, not a curse.

this all reminds me of when i lived in the northeast and used to go hiking way off the beaten path in the Adirondacks and in Maine (which you should NEVER attempt unless you are highly experienced in using topographical maps and a compass) one of my friends nearly shat himself in Maine once because he was sure he was hearing a Wendigo- all because we had been told stories about the particular valley we were going into, that it was haunted and was a place not even the indians would dare venture into. it was a frakin' coyote and i never let him live it down. the power of suggestion and the psychological principal of closure are extremely powerful.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."