Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poltergeist remake (film)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Don't buy into the marketing hoopla that surrounds supernatural films like this. They've done it for them all. Exorcist, Omen, Poltergeist, the list goes on and on. It's just to build publicity and pull in any suckers that may believe it...
    Kinda like this, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    the little girl in the first movie was already suffering from an incredibly severe case of Krohn's disease. that's what she died from, complications due to her medical condition, not a curse.
    Actually, I believe the Crohn's disease was a misdiagnosis by her doctors. She actually died from 'septic shock' a/k/a TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome).
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 02-May-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Kinda like this, right?

Actually, I believe the Crohn's disease was a misdiagnosis by her doctors. She actually died from 'septic shock' a/k/a TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome).
    yep, you're right my bad. and it's Crohn's not Krohn's. that's what i get for knowing other languages that hate the letter C.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    yep, you're right my bad.
    It's all good, man. I thought the same thing for years myself until someone said "ummm, no."

"This post was brought to you by the letter C and the ghosts in your television."
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 03-May-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    It's all good, man. I thought the same thing for years myself until someone said "ummm, no."

"This post was brought to you by the letter C and the ghosts in your television."
    you forgot to mention an asinine friend who thought he heard a wendigo. one of the funniest moments of my entire life, laughed until i quite literally cried.

Aaland
    Aren't we missing King Tut's curse. That was legitimate. And remember how all the French soldiers in 1798 opened up the tombs of other pharohs and they all die..... oh wait, never mind.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
    Aren't we missing King Tut's curse. That was legitimate. And remember how all the French soldiers in 1798 opened up the tombs of other pharohs and they all die..... oh wait, never mind.
    are you serious?? i hope not. in 1789 the "curse of the pharohs" wasn't even known about. Champollion didn't decipher the ancient heiratic language until 1822. before then NO ONE on planet earth was left who had any idea what the ancient egyptian writings even said.

even if this story about french soldiers is true, they were more likely killed by disease or if they happened to be standing right in front of a tomb sealed for thousands of years, they were probably killed by asphyxiation.

i think we all forget that people died quite easily before Alexander Fleming's discovery of anti-biotics.

as for king tut's curse that's utter bullshit. Carnarvon died from blood poisoning. infections were commonly fatal, even in the 20s. Howard Carter lived to be 64 and died in 1939. of the 58 people present when the tomb was opened, only 8 of them died with 12 years of the opening. the remaining 50 lived normal lives and died of natural causes. the curse is more likely due to the presence of bacteria and molds in ancient tombs and the fact that gases like ammonia and hydrogen sulfide build up in them over the centuries, both of which are toxic.

my ex-wife is a classical archaeologist who has worked at Troy and several other places in Greece and Turkey and i am a trained classical historian (late Roman Republic being my specialty). the one thing we know now that they didn't know in 1922 and certainly not in 1789, is that you do not stand in front of anything that that has been sealed for centuries when it is first opened. hydrogen sulfide can kill you immediately if the concentration is high enough.
    Last edited by Mike70; 03-May-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: s

United States
    are you serious?? i hope not. in 1789 the "curse of the pharohs" wasn't even known about. Champollion didn't decipher the ancient heiratic language until 1822. before then NO ONE on planet earth was left who had any idea what the ancient egyptian writings even said.

even if this story about french soldiers is true, they were more likely killed by disease or if they happened to be standing right in front of a tomb sealed for thousands of years, they were probably killed by asphyxiation.

i think we all forget that people died quite easily before Alexander Fleming's discovery of anti-biotics.

as for king tut's curse that's utter bullshit. Carnarvon died from blood poisoning. infections were commonly fatal, even in the 20s. Howard Carter lived to be 64 and died in 1939. of the 58 people present when the tomb was opened, only 8 of them died with 12 years of the opening. the remaining 50 lived normal lives and died of natural causes. the curse is more likely due to the presence of bacteria and molds in ancient tombs and the fact that gases like ammonia and hydrogen sulfide build up in them over the centuries, both of which are toxic.

my ex-wife is a classical archaeologist who has worked at Troy and several other places in Greece and Turkey and i am a trained classical historian (late Roman Republic being my specialty). the one thing we know now that they didn't know in 1922 and certainly not in 1789, is that you do not stand in front of anything that that has been sealed for centuries when it is first opened. hydrogen sulfide can kill you immediately if the concentration is high enough.
    *pffft* You and your REASON & LOGIC getting in the way of baseless superstition. You're gonna get someone kilt up in heah. Poltergeist, Curse of Superman, all true. Even Tut's curse. I have evidence that is too horrifying to show, but go ahead & look if you don't believe me:

You were warned.

Aaland
    Mike70,

I was kidding. I know none of what I said was true. Although I'm sure there are people who do believe it.
    Last edited by Rumsfeld; 05-May-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Edit Needed

Administrator

England
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...first-details/

Filming to start in September...

We just received inside Intel that Gil Kenan has officially begun casting his vision of Poltergeist.

He will begin shooting the movie as soon as September in Toronto, Canada.

In exclusive first details, the new version follows Eric Bowen and his family who, after he loses his job, relocate to a new town to start anew. His daughter, Madison, is abducted, making him truly understand what’s important in life: family. In the new version, Eric’s wife, Amy, can communicate with the dead.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I just can't imagine this being much cop really. The original is so good and so iconic. What's the point? Sure, it'd be nice if it turns out to be a good flick - but the success rate of remakes (creatively speaking) is pretty low in general.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I can't begin to express how much I don't care; thus I'm posting to a thread about a remake I don't care about seeing to just say that - well - I don't care ... so there. Did you get all that? Because I think I got distracted about halfway through.

As for the original film, I'd always thought it was a scary movie designed for people who really don't like being scared. On the plus side, Jo Beth Williams? Nice.

Wayne Z.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You seem to have accidentally posted the short teaser for the release of the trailer(ugh those are so ridiculous...). The full trailer is now available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdnsO_e5pDs

I love Sam Rockwell, but that trailer just screams "whats the point?!?". Most of it looks like a direct copy of the original only with new effects and a certain stench of recent tween horror cash-grabs. I'll no doubt see it eventually, mainly because of Rockwell, but this trailer doesn't fill me with any confidence.

I would have much preferred an anniversary re-release of Hooper's(or Speilberg's, depending on how you look at it) original.....
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Feb-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Just looks cheap scares and silly TBH
    -Carl Sagan