Thread: The Anti-Bullying Bully

Undisclosed

The Anti-Bullying Bully

What an a-hole. He was supposed to be giving a lecture towards impressionable young minds about the effects of bullying, instead he goes off on some half-ass bash against Christianity. I personally don't blame the students who walked out.

This idiot could have gotten his point across about learning to be more tolerate of others, even if they are different from what you believe is right, instead of wildly insulting quite a few kids' beliefs. This dude, like every other bully I've had the displeasure of running across in my life, finds no problem about having open season on those who he doesn't agree with.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The dude is 100% right. No one freaks out and goes on a fast when they discover they have sat on the same chair as a menstruating woman. Because that's bullshit. No one advocates stoning unwed mothers to death. Because that's bullshit. No one worries about eating shellfish or bacon. Because that's bullshit.

Not even the Vatican, the Eastern Orthodoxy, or pretty much any Protestant denomination on earth try to enforce these elements of dogma, because even they now accept that these things are bullshit too (although they might not actually use the word "bullshit").

The man is attacking the bible, not Christians. Before anyone says "oh, that's the same thing", it isn't. All Christians make judgements on which parts of the bible they follow and which they don't, even if they are not consciously aware of it (see above).

Therefore, if any person (or organisation) wants to discriminate against homosexuals, they should not be allowed to hold up the bible as a defence whilst also tucking into a seafood salad. That's called hypocrisy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The dude is 100% right. No one freaks out and goes on a fast when they discover they have sat on the same chair as a menstruating woman. Because that's bullshit. No one advocates stoning unwed mothers to death. Because that's bullshit. No one worries about eating shellfish or bacon. Because that's bullshit.

Not even the Vatican, the Eastern Orthodoxy, or pretty much any Protestant denomination on earth try to enforce these elements of dogma, because even they now accept that these things are bullshit too (although they might not actually use the word "bullshit").

The man is attacking the bible, not Christians. Before anyone says "oh, that's the same thing", it isn't. All Christians make judgements on which parts of the bible they follow and which they don't, even if they are not consciously aware of it (see above).

Therefore, if any person (or organisation) wants to discriminate against homosexuals, they should not be allowed to hold up the bible as a defence whilst also tucking into a seafood salad. That's called hypocrisy.

preach one, brother kraken

i couldn't have it better. i'm really, really sick of people and their frakin' "beliefs." i simply don't care about that because as you've said: it's bullshit. belief in NO WAY equals reality. there are only two states: knowledge and ignorance. you either know something and can prove it or you can't. simple as that. what you "believe" has nothing to do with anything at all.

if a billion people believed with all their hearts and souls, even to the point of starting a religion around the idea that 2 + 2= 5, would that make them right simply because they believe it? would we have to accept and respect an assertion that is demonstrably false? no. belief is the retarded cousin of knowledge much as faith is the retarded version of reason.

when people ask what i "believe" in, the answer is nothing. because if it cannot be proven, it simply doesn't matter. religion, esp. monotheism, revolts me. the old testament is a horror show. it is a glorification of a bunch of homicidal, genocidal fucking manics that thought god had chosen them. anyone who holds the old testament up as some sort of good example of how to live is an utter and complete fool. it's nothing but rape, murder and pillage in the name of a non-existent god.

i will make it very clear that i have zero problem with modern jews and am very pro-israel. the ancient jews, however, were a nasty piece of work from jump street and all you have to do to find that out is read the old testament. hell, not even modern judaism embraces some of that bullshit.

by the way: if you want to find some wisdom on life and what it's worth, what it means to be human there are places to find it: the works of Marcus Cicero, Aeschylus, Sophocles, and the other ancient humanist writers say far, far more about these things than the bible ever can.

the "Oresteia" by Aeschylus says more by itself about these sorts of things in 3 plays than the entirety of monotheistic thought ever has.

"cry, cry for death but good wins out in glory in the end."

there are sacred places on this earth though. they have nothing to religion. they are places with names like Marathon, Thermopylae, Plataea, Salamis, Omaha beach, Yorktown, Lexington, El Alamein, and all the other places where people have stood shoulder to shoulder with their brothers and fought and in many cases, died for freedom.
    Last edited by Mike70; 30-Apr-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Big deal. Dan Savage is just another angry homosexual. They are soooooo sensitive these days "dontcha know"...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing401 View Post
    What an a-hole. He was supposed to be giving a lecture towards impressionable young minds about the effects of bullying, instead he goes off on some half-ass bash against Christianity. I personally don't blame the students who walked out.

This idiot could have gotten his point across about learning to be more tolerate of others, even if they are different from what you believe is right, instead of wildly insulting quite a few kids' beliefs. This dude, like every other bully I've had the displeasure of running across in my life, finds no problem about having open season on those who he doesn't agree with.
    Sorry, but I think the guy is right and his final sentence sums it up perfectly IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not surprised someone with the name rightwing thinks this guy is an a-hole.

F*ck the students that walked out before he could even get his point across. I get the feeling at least half of the ones that followed were just walking out because... well, remember being in high school? If you saw your chance to ditch something, you took it.

Undisclosed
    I find him to be an a-hole because he chose to insult impressionable kids and then had the nerve to call them passy asses when they didn't feel like taking his bullsh*t. (And I don't mean bullsh*t by his views, merely his method of delivery of said views)

I didn't bring this topic up because of his attacks on the bible, I could care less about his personal views/beliefs. I care about the fact that he was supposed to be talking about anti-bullying stuff and chose to try to get his point across by thrashing stuff that some kids are very sensitive about and then called them names- essentially being a bully himself.

I would feel just as offended if a pastor had come to the school to speak about tolerance and went on some wild rant about gays pushing their beliefs on others. If you're there to teach about being against bullies, you don't get your point across by acting like one yourself. That's just plain hypocritical.

Aaland
    When I read the topic subject, I thought you were talking about Perez Hilton.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
    When I read the topic subject, I thought you were talking about Perez Hilton.
    Dan Savage and Perez Hilton are both very similar in nature.

United States
    I thought it was going to be about Bucky Bailey's Bully Busters TRADEMARK.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The fact that people still take the bible seriously in this day and age frightens and confuses me.