Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar 2 & 3 (& 4?)

Administrator

England

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...o-productions/

We’ve spent the last year and a half on software development and pipeline development. The virtual production methodology was extremely prototypical on the first film. As then, no one had ever done it before and we didn’t even know for two and half years into it and $100 million into it if it was going to work. So we just wanted to make our lives a whole lot easier so that we can spend a little more of our brainpower on creativity. It was a very, very uphill battle on the first film. So we’ve been mostly working on the tool set, the production pipeline, setting up the new stages in Los Angeles, setting up the new visual effects pipeline in New Zealand, that sort of thing. And, by the way, writing. We haven’t gotten to the design stage yet. That’ll be the next.

Same story here too - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/James...Now-30790.html

James Cameron is one of the most gifted filmmakers alive today. Yes, I mean it, and yes, I stand by even his worst lines of dialogue and hokiest messages. Nobody films action scenes like Cameron, nobody combines mythic-simple narratives with stunning special effects and locations, and nobody understands like he does how movies are the modern-day fables that audiences everywhere, of every age, can latch on to and enjoy.

Unfortunately, James Cameron is also involved with a lot of other things that don't require his services as a filmmaker, from executing the deepest solo deep-sea dive in history to traveling to China to encourage that country to open up to more co-productions with the United States and give more American films a shot at screening in that enormous moviegoing market. While in China, Cameron spoke with The New York Times and admitted what we fans of his movies often fear: with so much else on his plate, he's committing even less to making films that aren't called Avatar:
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I think of all the indie filmmakers who create works of art with blood sweat and tears and a few thousand dollars. How many pieces of cinematic fresh air will never happen because money is aborted on these wastes of space instead.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I can hear the conversation:

"Well now what? We spent all this money on developing new technology for Avatar but now that films released and forgotten."

"Uhm... Avatar 2?"

"Still not worth the millions we poured into this project."

"... And 3 and 4?"

"That's so crazy it just might work!"

I literally slapped my own face when I read this.

Administrator

England
    It makes me really happy to read your comments guys, really.. id come and hug you both if i could, everyone around me seemed to rave on about how great avatar was when really.. i thought it was one of the most boring things id ever seen.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It makes me really happy to read your comments guys, really.. id come and hug you both if i could, everyone around me seemed to rave on about how great avatar was when really.. i thought it was one of the most boring things id ever seen.
    I quite enjoyed Avatar. The plot felt a bit paint by numbers and needed some more depth to it, but none-the-less it was a pretty well made film using ground breaking tech which undoubtably caused problems during it's life-cycle.

You can see from Cameron's comments he/they've invested into the tech to make it less painful in future, and undoubtably this will be used not just on any future Avatar films, but other titles too.

-- -------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I can hear the conversation:

"Well now what? We spent all this money on developing new technology for Avatar but now that films released and forgotten."

"Uhm... Avatar 2?"

"Still not worth the millions we poured into this project."

"... And 3 and 4?"

"That's so crazy it just might work!"

I literally slapped my own face when I read this.
    Huh? Avatar made ten digits? They've invested a tiny fraction of that in tech/software if anything just to save money on future productions, and no doubt reap income from other productions too!?

Think Weta in NZ for example? They spent a huge amount from the LOTR budget setting up their own tech facilities. Would you deem that investment a loss too?

-- -------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I think of all the indie filmmakers who create works of art with blood sweat and tears and a few thousand dollars. How many pieces of cinematic fresh air will never happen because money is aborted on these wastes of space instead.
    Ummm... Another way of looking at it... If Avatar hadn't happened, how much less money would the film companies have to invest (risk) on projects!?

Do I detect negative-ninnies?! I don't get it? If you didn't enjoy the first one, and don't like the look of the next one when it comes out, fine, skip it. But maybe, the improvements mentioned above will aid the overall process and the second will be more to your liking!? What's to lose? Why all the boo-hoo-ing?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Do I detect negative-ninnies?!
    YES!

...and now, in parts 2, 3 (and maybe 4) we're going to be looking for "almostunobtainum"!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    YES!

...and now, in parts 2, 3 (and maybe 4) we're going to be looking for "almostunobtainum"!

The only thing that concerns me about future Avatar films is this green ( 'save the planet') theme Cameron seems to be implying they will have?! I'm scared it will come across poorly ie: Might feel like propaganda rather than an escapism!

Guess we'll find out in about 2-3 years...
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Do I detect negative-ninnies?!
    Yeah. It's a broken record.

Create something that makes over 2 billion dollars and you can blow the money on whatever you want.

United States
    I saw the first in 3D, which was fine because I was thoroughly baked and it looked really great in 3D, no doubt. I saw it on tv later and it didn't look so hot. I'd see the others for the vision alone at a theater, but it definitely threw alot of preachy crap in there, not so thinly veiled either.
    Wah wah, bad America. Raping and pillaging, blah blah...
    Anyhoo, ehhhhh. I'll check them out on a sequel by sequel basis.
    I like giant blue cat people. But only in 3D.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think thinly veiled is putting it mildly when it literally has rednecks in american flag trucker hats talking about shock and aweing the natives...

United States
    i think thinly veiled is putting it mildly when it literally has rednecks in american flag trucker hats talking about shock and aweing the natives...
    Well, I did say not so thinly veiled. I was just putting it nicely. I've pretty much learned by now to just scoff and move on when I hear and see that crap. Anyone's mind who can be turned that easily isn't worth saving anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Well, I did say not so thinly veiled. I was just putting it nicely. I've pretty much learned by now to just scoff and move on when I hear and see that crap. Anyone's mind who can be turned that easily isn't worth saving anyway.
    The fact that it was there at all is what pissed me off. Its intellectually insulting to the audience. That or Cameron actually thinks thats an example of subtlety and nuance. Then hes got bigger problems than thinking we are all morons.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Boring is a nice way of putting it. I guess that's what you call a film with no original value whatsoever. It's up there with that damn Green Lantern...

Administrator

England
    The fact that it was there at all is what pissed me off. Its intellectually insulting to the audience. That or Cameron actually thinks thats an example of subtlety and nuance. Then hes got bigger problems than thinking we are all morons.
    I think that's a little unfair... The main story line is simple, but there certain aspects that were fairly original/clever IMHO.

So I would definately agree that any sequels definately need their story line improved, but I hardly see Avatar as "insulting," and I once again simply get the feeling people bounce off the films success and feel they need to strangely over play their problems with the film to counter balance that popularity/success!? ie: Choose a less successful film, with as (if not more) questionable story, and story telling, and see the same individuals not bring the same negativity to the table...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with opinions running contrary to the popular consensus, if those opinions are arrived at in an honest way. It's up to the individual to be honest with their own judgment.

It's also hardly surprising that when a film, such as 'Avatar', is trumpeted so loudly and expectations are managed to such a high degree, that it would draw criticism on its content, when that content is found to be so superficial. The film's talking point opportunities will also be far more numerous due to the fact that a great many people will have seen it and discussion on its merit and failure will inevitably be front and centre.

And while there will, undoubtedly, be people who'll just jump on the bandwagon of either direction, I don't think it's correct to dismiss every negative opinion on films, such as 'Avatar', as people "bounc(ing) off the films success".
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....