Thread: WWII Kittyhawk found intact in desert

England

WWII Kittyhawk found intact in desert

Pretty impressive that it is still pretty much pristine after all this time, they'll have to be quick if they hope to salvage it though seen as locals have already been scavanging it since its location was revealed...
    (cant post links properly as this site is absolutely buggered for me, mods help me out!)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avia...he-Sahara.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/11468256...at=directlink#

Ireland
    The title of that article is rather silly, it's hardly the same as Tutankhamuns tomb!

It is interesting that the plane is in such good nick though. I'm surprised that the sand hadn't stripped the desert yellow camouflage off completely, over the years.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Its similar to the story of the "Lady be good" which was found in the desert in the late 50's, although that one also has some supernatural stories surrounding it too, namely parts that were salvaged from it and fitted to other aircraft, only for them to crash later. The story of the armrest being the most spooky! (dont believe in ghosts myself, but the stories are still interesting)
    Apparently the Lady was rescued by the Libyan government (the same ones we were bombing the shit out of last year) to be preserved and displayed.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Pretty impressive that it is still pretty much pristine after all this time, they'll have to be quick if they hope to salvage it though seen as locals have already been scavanging it since its location was revealed...
    (cant post links properly as this site is absolutely buggered for me, mods help me out!)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avia...he-Sahara.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/11468256...at=directlink#
    Poor pilot!

The story reminds me a little of - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...oast-Kent.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Oh wow, this is a cool find! Being the fan of planes in general that I am (especially war time planes), this is really cool. It would be nice to see it restored and put on display somewhere as it most certainly deserves to be.

Very cool, thanks for the links, Tricky. Just don't get any funny ideas about jumping out of it once it's been restored.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 11-May-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: .

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Imagine how much cool shit is still sitting out there and buried beneath the sand.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Imagine how much cool shit is still sitting out there and buried beneath the sand.
    We need to relocate all those old farts with their metal detectors out there. Let's give the retired some purpose again...

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    We need to relocate all those old farts with their metal detectors out there. Let's give the retired some purpose again...
    +1

gives 'em something to do and keeps them off the freeway and out of my way.

England
    What really interests me is the German equipment still sat out in remote forests and buried in swamps in Russia that is yet to be discovered, I bet there is hordes out there somewhere. I read the other day that they are still finding and re-burying 40,000 German soldiers a year on Russian soil. Much is talked about the battles the allies fought in France, Holland, Italy etc, but our entire effort was small compared to the utter carnage on the eastern front
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-832063.html

The last video is a Panther that was pulled out of a river in Poland, now restored fully to running condition!
    Last edited by Tricky; 12-May-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: ....

Ireland
    That T-34/76 with German markings was found in an Estonian swamp and the diesel engine was still opperating. In fact, they drove it, once it was cleaned up and a few minor repairs were completed.

Here's another T-34/76 found at Pskov. It's the hexangonal turret version and the cast steel wheels, most likely built after April 1942 at the massive Urlmash zavod in Yekaterinburg. It's the version without the later cuppola. It was nicknamed "Gayka" (hex nut) by the Russians and "Mickey Maus" by the Germans, because of the twin turret hatches, that looked like Mickey Mouse's ears when left in the open position.

Last edited by shootemindehead; 12-May-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Every few months, I like to check terra server and google earth and investigate what Davis Monthan has sitting out..lots of F-16s lately, must be in the process of being mustered out in favor of the F-22.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los