Thread: An Experiment

United States

An Experiment

So, this morning, my plan is go to and purchase a new 1911 project gun. It's a bare bones Rock Island Armory GI, made in the Phillipines and imported. This will be my first handgun purchase in..many moons, and I decided to document it here for funsies.

Why you ask? Because I want to see just what can go wrong when a 29 year old male who has never committed even a traffic violation tries to purchase a handgun in the great commonwealth of Virginia.

For a little background..I've had a concealed carry permit in the past, but it's lapsed, as I got a new job where having a handgun in the car or on the person wasn't feasible. (working with the mentally handicapped and sometimes, criminally insane). I've had one ticket for a lapsed inspection sticker given to me by a bronze from another state I was travelling through that didn't understand that MY state inspection doesn't expire until the END of the month.

I've passed background checks to work with the mentally disabled and handicapped, I've passed background checks to work on classified weapons guidance systems for Tomahawk and TOW missiles, and I've passed background checks to work on power systems for naval power transformers.

(I even worked on some of the electrical stuff for the new WTC)

So basically I'm saying I've never done anything, not one single thing that should logically preclude me from owning a firearm of any type.

But I have a feeling this morning..can't explain why, but I feel like something is gonna jam the works.

So either I get to show what a fart up something like this can be, or I can be putting shots on paper in a few hours..either way, it's gonna be funny.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Super Moderator

United States
    Is there a waiting period in Virginia? Good luck, but I would hope there'd be a waiting period.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Have you ever been convicted of any domestic violence misdemeanors?

There have been numerous cases of people being denied or even losing their right to own any firearms when the background check discovered such things as fights with roomates 30-40 years prior.

United States
    Nawp, no waiting period and no domestic violence misdemeanors. Like I said, I'm a very boring person who has only been in one fight in my life..not exciting in the least, just enjoy my hobbies and leave others to theirs.

Today was my fiance's (that word is so awkward isn't it? it sounds so..distant) birthday, so me her and her 2 best friends piled into the suv, rolled the windows down and had a fun roadtrip.

There was a bit of a hiccup. Could NOT find a bill with my name on it to save my LIFE! Going paperless for the environment, HAH!

Anyway, the actual physical address is the absolute same, but a few years ago, they changed the 911 system here, no more Route this or Country Lane that allowed. (they let people pick what their culdesacks and hollers were named. i have literally seen a mad cow road. gotta love south western virginia!) That caused a little hiccup, but I finally found an old bill showing the old address and the new, so I was set.

Background check went quick and smooth, and I browsed the store while waiting. Saw some great stuff, including a Norinco import 1897 Winchester..if that badboy had the heatshield and bayonet lug a la a WW1 Hun stomper, I might have walked out with something completely different than I originally intended.

Instead, I walked out with what I wanted. Sort of.

After examining a few different 1911s from a few different manufacturers, I actually went ahead and got the semi-compact Rock instead of the regular length. It's just so tiny and still in .45..reminded me of a little bulldog runt or something, just fell in like with it. And it was slightly cheaper to boot!

I'll have pics up tomorrow, but the initial range report is awesome. Three mags (don't get me STARTED on the mag, it looks like rubbish) later, and from about 20 to 25 yards, poor mans reckoning, each of the pop cans I had set up were knocked askew with big old holes in them. Once I get some proper targets and to the real range and not a backyard I'll know what it's capable of, but I love it. Very smooth action once a few mags went through, the slide release was a right proper bugger at first, but it's smoothing up too.

All in all, I think I may have found a true diamond in the rough for less than half of a Colt. And don't get me going on the higher end stuff, I don't need a gun that can out shoot me, I can only see so good!
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Undisclosed
    Kimber used to be one of the best buy of 1911s when comparing features to other manufacturers but with increased popularity came increased prices. Colt commands a higher price solely because of the name. There are so many companies putting out quality 1911 variants nowdays at competitive prices, unless you are buying a never shoot safe queen with the sole purpose of future resale, there is no reason to buy a Colt anymore.

One thing to remember with 1911's is that they are designed for reliable use with ball ammo, that is unless they are custom guns or have throat/ramp work (i.e. "reliability work") gunsmith work done to the barrel as to also reliably cycle hollow points. YMMV and the best course is to test different bullet types to see which ones work with your gun.

United States
    [IMG][/IMG]

Undisclosed
    Nice. It's cool that it came with a beaver tail grip safety, that is one of the gunsmith addons that many people put on their 1911s because of hammer bite. The self defense rounds you want to get for it are Speer Gold Dots, but make sure they cycle reliably by shooting a mag of them.

This guy has done lots of ammo tests with ballistic gel equivalent and would be a good reference for alternative rounds if you can't get or your gun doesn't work with gold dots:

TNOUTDOORS9 Shooting & Reviews

United States
    Yeah, I plan on trying to go to the range this weekend while the lady is out of town and try to give it a good going over..I've heard differing opinions about whether they will run hollowpoints straight from the factory without a port and polish. Some do, some don't. This is my first 1911 and there seems to be little bit of play from the feed ramp to the barrel. That's really the only thing worrying me alot, after almost half a box of REALLY cheap Federal Estate, I haven't had a single hiccup. Was very pleasantly surprised, as I figured a short spring like out of a compact might be a recipe for jams.

There is a CCW course on the 22nd of this month, but I can't make it to that one. Too much going on right now.

And yeah, the beaver tail is nice..my dads old WW1 Colt was never fun to shoot because of that. One of the reasons I decided to pick this one up. Not crazy about the sights though. I was able to hit with em sure, but I wish they were a little larger. May wind up putting some nail polish on the front at least.

The recoil is actually much lighter that I'd expect considering the short barrel. I don't really think I'm going to run any hot rounds through it.

Any recommendations for a good IWB holster? Everything I've looked at is either backlogged or at a really rather ridiculous price point. I'd rather have something that can run either compact or full size, but I'll buy separately if I must. I'd rather not get something that will mar the finish, but I'm also not a fan of shiny leather.

Undisclosed
    I don't have a CCW so I don't have any IWBs, so for regular holsters I use Bladetech which is made from a molded polymer called kydex. They may be a bit expensive but are worth it. They usually run about $50-60.

IMO, stay away from Fobus as they are cheap soft plastic. I bought one that was on sale for $10 and it held the gun so tight I could not draw from it.

Blackhawk is another lower priced brand and has it's detractors who have issues with the retention system. It uses as lever in the trigger guard which is released by the index finger. 2 issues that have come up with this system. One is if dirt, snow or other debris in sufficient quantities finds it's way under the lever, it becomes impossible to release the gun from the holster. The other is the possibility of an accidental discharge due to the motion and location of the index finger on the release lever as the gun is drawn.

The best way to find a holster is to go to a gun show and try them for fit and comfort before you buy.