Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Rear

Administrator

England
    ^^ Interesting! Nice work Lee.

NOTE: I had to go to the interviews page to actually listen to it? - http://eastcoasthorrorgroup.com/category/interviews/

ps: Looking forward to Lee's book!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Listening now!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    Awareness has seemingly been spread to the Trekkies: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Talk:Jim_O'Rear

And a Wiki edit war has resulted in less bullshit on his page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_O'Rear

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Administrator

England
    Nice! We'll have the B5 community checking him out next
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

Undisclosed
    Wow, you guys are pathetic.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Ummm... Sure...
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post
    Wow, you guys are pathetic.
    Please explain. No disrespect but maybe you don't understand the gravity of what this con man is doing.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dying

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Ummm... Sure...
    You've exposed the guy. Why rub dirt into it?
    All I'm saying is to let it go.
    Last edited by major jay; 23-Jun-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post
    You've exposed the guy. Why rub dirt into it?
    All I'm saying is to let it go.
    Fair enough, but to be specific, you didn't say "let it go"... you used the term "pathetic"... Can you understand how that might annoy/offend some people?

And as regards, "let it go," maybe when he, (a) admits he wasn't in the film(s) he says he was in, (b) he stops 'ruining' people's beloved memorablia this might calm down. But at the moment we have some people who are simply interested in seeing this matter through to its logical conclusion...

I see no issue with that personally... And see no reason to "let it go"... Infact I generally pat anyone on the back who get of their backside to do anything positive. It's easier to sit, whine and do nothing!
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Nice! We'll have the B5 community checking him out next
    Anybody in contact with Patricia Tallman? In addition to being an actress, she's also a stunt woman. So if she knows any of the stunt people, and/or coordinators who worked on B5 - maybe they could confirm or deny his claims. I don't speak for Ms. Tallman or anyone in her camp, and I'm not suggesting folks start bugging the woman with this ... just thinking out loud here.

Wayne Z

Administrator

England
    ^^ Hey! I was kidding

But it would be bad if he's signing B5 stuff 'questionably!'
    -Carl Sagan

Aaland

Jim O'Rear gives his side of the story about the "Day of the Dead" controversy

Jim O'Rear was interviewed on "The Megapods" and he talks about many issues including the "Day of the Dead" controversy - http://t.co/aGobKJjVCf

Micah

Super Moderator

United States
    Interesting...will have to give it a listen.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah Ackerman View Post
    Jim O'Rear was interviewed on "The Megapods" and he talks about many issues including the "Day of the Dead" controversy - http://t.co/aGobKJjVCf
    Starts just before a third of the way through. Day of the Dead mentioned half way through - He says he doesn't understand the problem, and mentions Tom Savini said he (Jim O'Rear) was on the set, which of course we know is not really true.

He says he can see supernatural shadow people... which says it all IMHO.
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

United States
    Hello,

On Tuesday 4/29/14 I took a trip to a landmark located in my home state of Ohio. This landmark is known as the Ohio State Reformatory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Reformatory which once served as a correctional institute in the NE part of the state. The prison has been closed since the early 90s and at one point was facing the wrecking ball; however, the producers of the film Shawshank Redemption contacted the Ohio Film Commission and requested that the demolition be delayed because they were interested in using the building for some of the movie's exterior shots. This delay was granted and during this time some locals petitioned to have the site preserved as a historical landmark. This was granted and the structure was preserved.

Anyway, my wife and I are hosting a friend who is on holiday from England and Shawshank happens to be one of his favorite films. We decided to make the 2.5 hour road-trip up north to take a tour of the prison and let him tour the “set” of his favorite movie (like we Dead fans like to do). The place is really quite interesting. While the exterior is very well preserved and recognizable in the film, the interior is mostly decrepit and really sort of “creepy”--poorly lit, paint peeling, rust on the bars, cold, clammy, musty, etc. It is rumored to be “haunted” by the spirits of some of the 200 men who died while incarcerated there (as well as a couple of guards who were killed during an escape).

So yeah, it is a “creepy” environment, but what really creeped me out is what I saw in one of the rooms of the administration wing that had been cleaned up and furnished with glass display cases showcasing the movies that had been filmed on the grounds (Shawshank, Tango & Cash, Air Force One). Additionally, these display cases had an assortment of props that were left behind by the crews once filming was complete as well as publicity photos, lobby posters, etc. As I was examining these bits and pieces of movie history I heard my son say: “Hey, Tom Savini made a movie here”.

I turned around and sure enough, on the wall opposite the display for Shawshank was a promotional poster for a movie called The Dead Matter and, sure enough, Tom Savini was listed in the credits. Now, this isn't the creepy part; this is actually pretty cool—that at least of portion of a film with Savini in it was shot in my home state, even if Savini's scenes were filmed elsewhere and he had never set foot on the prison grounds. What creeped me out was a framed, autographed promotional picture on display in the glass case beneath the poster.

Jim O'Rear.

It looked something like this: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...3_140uroRmbuYj but with his name scrawled across it.

How creepy is this? A proven fraud "actor's" photograph is prominently displayed in a glass case across from notables such as Morgan Freeman, Tim Robbins, Kurt Russel, Sly Stallone, and Harrison Ford and in a state historical site to boot?

Although the film The Dead Matter is not listed in the Wikipedia entry (nor is it listed here: http://www.mrps.org/learn/film-and-television ) I looked up the trailer on YouTube and it is obvious that some of the exterior scenes were filmed at the prison and it appears that Mr. O'Rear is featured at around 1:29 in the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liAifLs_8zk

Further, he is listed in the credits on the IMDB site as a “vampire junkie”, so I'm sure he was actually in the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1055363/ .

This all appears to be legit, but my question is: should a proven fraud of O'Rear's caliber be allowed to be featured in a display case in a state historical preservation site along with respectable professionals? I'm not comfortable with it. On the one hand, he has every right to toot his own horn for something he actually participated in; on the other, he has slurred his own reputation by lying about his participation in other films.

What do others think?

-stray-