Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Rear

Dead

United States
    We might even be looking at it all wrong. He could be totally batshit crazy and actually believe he WAS in the movie. Maybe he sits up all night rewatching Day looking for himself. And he's convinced that it's only a matter of time until he finds himself in there and can make everyone eat their words.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Thanks, Mike. I asked Tom a question about another female involved with the production towards the end of my interview with him.
    Lee, the term "friend" is being used quite a bit in reference to you and Savini. Apart from emails, what personal contact have you had with him? ie: You mention an interview? Anything else? I'm trying to gauge how much meat there is on the bones of this friendship Savini keeps complaining was betrayed?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I really, really hope that this shit storm doesn't harm Lee's career or his ability to get interviews with folks.
    And that's the thing, isn't it? You would think the majority of fans would side with the big fish but no, everyone knows O'Rear is full of shit and the claims of fraud have been whispered around conventions for about two years before this blew up. For Savini to side with O'Rear must have been a slap to Lee's face after all the work he has done in trying to expose a liar and protect a film that Savini still earns money on to this day. I am amazed Lee has kept his cool throughout all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Lee, the term "friend" is being used quite a bit in reference to you and Savini. Apart from emails, what personal contact have you had with him? ie: You mention an interview? Anything else? I'm trying to gauge how much meat there is on the bones of this friendship Savini keeps complaining was betrayed?
    I won't put words in Lee's mouth but I do have knowledge of things like this. When you interview stars and hit it off, it can definitely feel like a friendship. You hang out now and again, contact each other whenever something comes up, and they pull strings for you at events. It is a friendly situation, no doubt, but it is not true friendship.

A true friend would know your surname correctly. A true friend wouldn't lie about something that you work very hard for. A true friend would side with you and not a known liar. A true friend would not threaten to smack you out over something so ridiculous. A true friend would not be mean to you if you have just gone through a bout of cancer. A true friend would be at your bedside when you are suffering from said illness. A true friend would invite you over to their house for a BBQ as a friend and not just when they have something they need promoting. I could go on forever with examples but I think you get the picture.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Ireland
    Maybe the definition of friend is different in the States? Or at least within that type of circle. To me a friend is somebody you would see on a very regular basis and in a social capacity.

Anything else is an aquanintance.

I was thinking the same thing as Neil expressed above.

Either way, this sorry affair is quite ridiculous, to say the least and if Tom Savini thinks it's ok to spout that type content in any forum...well, it's disapointing to see a childhood hero act in such a way. Perhaps it would have been more prudent of Lee to have checked with Savini first, before publishing said material on Facebook, but the whole carry on is being enacted at an incredibly childish level.

Is this O'Rear character really worth all the grief?

I would think not.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    That's a good question, Neil. I think what Brett said about it was pretty accurate. I've known Tom for awhile and like most fans I met him at shows originally. But I got to know him much better when he would come into the theater I managed here in Pittsburgh. Then after working conventions with some of the Romero guests I got to know him even better. BUT, to say that we were close friends would be a lie. We were not. That's why his reaction was so absurd.

Dead

United States
    He's just exploiting the "friend" angle for all it's worth. Acting all butt hurt about it just for the effect it will have on onlookers.
    Even if the original intent behind O'Rears motives for the big lie weren't malicious(assuming it was really just about padding his resume), it's gone too far beyond that now to see it in any sort of neutral manner. At this point he's established himself as an enemy to the fan community as a whole. Not only due to the original offense of signing peoples shit and lying about his affiliation, but now he's got other people working with him on this little censorship campaign of his. I think this whole thing needs to be brought to the attention of the entire horror industry. And I think that's one of O'Rears biggest fears over this is that it's gonna call attention to his entire resume and any claims he makes.
    Because I can't speak for anyone else, but if I were him and considering all that's happened already, i would have a hard time showing my face at future conventions. This dude is public enemy #1 around here. He claims to be an owner at "Allied Horror", this isn't helping to boost the reputation of a fledgling entertainment company. It might be generating publicity, but unless he can substantiate his claims in the long run his company will always have this shadow of deception attached to it. Which will have an effect on business relationships and ultimately the success of the company.

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    I feel you, Ben. This is why I've stopped my Facebook offensive... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I think this whole thing needs to be brought to the attention of the entire horror industry. And I think that's one of O'Rears biggest fears over this is that it's gonna call attention to his entire resume and any claims he makes.
    I personally think it should be brought to the attention of the law. What he's doing has to be illegal, surely?

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I personally think it should be brought to the attention of the law. What he's doing has to be illegal, surely?
    I am not a lawyer, but from what I learned here and there I think someone would have had to be harmed financially for it to be illegal. Unless he was taking monetary compensation through deception and didn't deliver what was agreed upon, I don't think there would be any laws broken. Signing posters for free using deception might not fall under an illegal act.

A few years ago there was an incident involving a woman named Alicia Esteve Head aka Tani Head who was the subject of a book and documentary called "The Woman Who Wasn't There". She had fabricated an elaborate story of surviving the collapse of one of the Twin Towers on 911, including a fictitious husband, education and employment history. She used all of these lies to propel herself to national notoriety becoming the representative of World Trade Center Survivors Network attending meetings with the New York City Mayors and Governor. Even after it was proven that her entire story was made up, she was never brought up on criminal or civil charges as she never benefitted financially from the ruse. What she did was ethically magnitudes worse, but still didn't appear to fit into the definition of a crime.

There has to be a lurker of the site with a law background who could post their opinion about this matter.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post

There has to be a lurker of the site with a law background who could post their opinion about this matter.
    Publius is an actual lawyer. i don't know what his specialty is but he'd be the dude to ask. if this thread was about the excise tax laws on wineries, i could offer volumes of facts about that because that is life at the Alcohol, Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (shortened to TTB). what would i do without the US Treasury dept? oh yeah, i'd have to get a real job.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I am not a lawyer, but from what I learned here and there I think someone would have had to be harmed financially for it to be illegal. Unless he was taking monetary compensation through deception and didn't deliver what was agreed upon, I don't think there would be any laws broken. Signing posters for free using deception might not fall under an illegal act.
    I believe he takes cash exchanges for his signature on Day merch but is willing to sign for free. It has also been said that he has a large Day of the Dead poster behind his table at conventions - that association surely must rake in some cash for him. In fact, I'd go as far to say that outside of this ghost hunting claptrap, Day is probably his bread and butter.
    Last edited by capncnut; 07-Jul-2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Jeez, what's with all the questions? I'm just editing a post here!

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I am a retired Police Officer, far from an attorney, in my state what he is doing could be listed as "Criminal Mischief" 1st thru 4th depending on the value of the property he damaged. If the owner of a valuable collectable was duped into allowing him to deface the item the owner would have the right to file criminal charges.

From what I have been able to gather in this case the "Day of the Dead" Trademark owner would have to send JoR a "Cease and Desist" then file an infringement case against him in Federal Court. Then, have the resulting court order served on him in his home state. THEN,,,,, at each and every trade show, convention, etc..... a representative of the TM owner would have to monitor and notify each event organizer when or if the individual may be in violation of the order. Then that event organizer would have to notify him that he is no longer welcome at the event and ask him to stop/leave the event. THEN,,,, the event organizer can call the local police to remove him from the premises.

It is a long and painful battle for TM owners to protect their property BUT if they don't aggressively protect their TMs courts have been known to allow those rights to slip into the public domain. That is why Disney, Apple, Coke, etc... have armies of attorneys filing and sending "Cease and Desist" notices.

United States
    Notice O'Rear changed his wikipedia page to make himself 4 years older. Too bad his real birthday Jim O'Rear (born 28 September 1970 Cordova, Alabama) is still on the net.

United States
    It has since come out (actually sleuthed by one of the folks at facebook) that Jim is listed in the rosters of an Alaskan high school at the time Day of the Dead was being filmed (along with some of his other claims to fame) which would be consistent with the original date of birth listed on Wikipedia. All quite laughable really since he claims to have also starred in several other films at about that time.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    It has since come out (actually sleuthed by one of the folks at facebook) that Jim is listed in the rosters of an Alaskan high school at the time Day of the Dead was being filmed (along with some of his other claims to fame) which would be consistent with the original date of birth listed on Wikipedia. All quite laughable really since he claims to have also starred in several other films at about that time.
    If he's listed as "alumni 1985 - Jim O'Rear" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimond_High_School

Surely that confirms his DOB as 1966 and not 1970?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    If he's listed as "alumni 1985 - Jim O'Rear" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimond_High_School

Surely that confirms his DOB as 1966 and not 1970?
    so now you guys have Neil looking up a high school in fookin' Alaska of all the god forsaken places on this planet. if this dude is only 4 years older than i am, i find it very hard for him to make an argument that he's been doing anything professionally for "over 30 years." 46-30 = 16.

his wikipedia page reads like something that he wrote himself and just reeks of "desperate to be famous". he also claims uncredited roles in Star Trek IV, Cocoon, Lethal Weapon 3, and Invasion USA.

gee, i'm supposedly in one of the background shots of "fresh horses", an 80s film that was shot about 3 doors down from where i lived. talk about the circus coming to town. anyway, i guess i should start an IMDB page.
    Last edited by Mike70; 17-Jul-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."