Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day Z, Arma 2 zombie mod.

England
    The thing with Arma 2 is that the running and walking animations on the soldiers are very realistic and look great, but the civilians who are only really there to either stand around or run away from combat in a panic are a a bit daft looking, and in DayZ they have used the civilian models for the zombies when they would have been far better using the soldiers and re-skinning them into civvy clothes. Its something they can work on though & I'm sure if this is going to get a standalone release they will sort it.

Have any of you who are new to this actually played the milsim game yet then? Its really good, especially if you use some of the explosion & smoke mods that are available. Night combat looks awesome through NVG's!

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Have any of you who are new to this actually played the milsim game yet then?
    I wish! Still waiting for the game to arrive, might well be looking into to that later to see where it's got to... hmm...

Have played the demo missions though and was rather impressed, like the scope it gives you to get the job done. Reminds me (a little), of the original Ghost Recon in that respect, just ten times better.

Like I said, I came for DayZ, but stuck around for the milsim - or at least I will when it arrives!

DayZ article on Eurogamer:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...uture-of-day-z

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I've not played the normal Arma game yet - your recommendation Tricky, is positive - I'll defo give it a play through when I get some time.

I haven't been back to Dayz since last posting - its always the way that when I have mates around, my other mates want to play - when I'm alone, no one's around and when i'm about to go out and see Prometheus, they get in touch demanding my help in DayZ! Godamnit having alternately sociable friends.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    I have been watching Day Z gameplay on the justin tv and it looks interesting.

The difference compared to other shooters is that this is a sneak around and try not to shoot salvage type game. Zombie are pretty easy to avoid if you don't run or make lots of noise. There are the bandits and people known as "stream snipers" who watch people streaming games with the intent of finding what server they are on, ambushing them and stealing all of their stuff.

The gun models look very nice but if you are going solo or in a small group everyone will mostly be using handguns. The game I was watching last night the guy was all happy to find an AK74 but never even shot it once before getting stream sniped 2 hours later.

Unlike most games, Arma 2 performance is highly dependent upon system cpu and not video gpu. This makes me very hesitant in buying the game because I am still running a core 2 quad 2.8ghz and am not sure how it will run. Everyone is recommending and i5 cpu.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I have been watching Day Z gameplay on the justin tv and it looks interesting.

The difference compared to other shooters is that this is a sneak around and try not to shoot salvage type game. Zombie are pretty easy to avoid if you don't run or make lots of noise. There are the bandits and people known as "stream snipers" who watch people streaming games with the intent of finding what server they are on, ambushing them and stealing all of their stuff.

The gun models look very nice but if you are going solo or in a small group everyone will mostly be using handguns. The game I was watching last night the guy was all happy to find an AK74 but never even shot it once before getting stream sniped 2 hours later.

Unlike most games, Arma 2 performance is highly dependent upon system cpu and not video gpu. This makes me very hesitant in buying the game because I am still running a core 2 quad 2.8ghz and am not sure how it will run. Everyone is recommending and i5 cpu.
    ^^ My concern is for people like me coming to the game, there will be to many 'career bandits' making the game frustrating beyond belief!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Don't know if anyone has seen these, but there are some pretty funny videos over on PC Gamer - if you only watch one, watch number 5, it's sooooo bizarre...

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/15/10...ages-and-more/

Undisclosed
    This definitely isn't a game for people accustomed mmo's like world of warcraft. Once you get killed in Day Z, you don't pass go and you don't collect $200. You lose EVERYTHING and have to start all over again. I heard a some guy going into a rage and uninstalling the game after his 2 day old character got rolled by bandits.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    This definitely isn't a game for people accustomed mmo's like world of warcraft. Once you get killed in Day Z, you don't pass go and you don't collect $200. You lose EVERYTHING and have to start all over again. I heard a some guy going into a rage and uninstalling the game after his 2 day old character got rolled by bandits.
    Here's a video of anyother DayZ player...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Here's a video of anyother DayZ player...

lol

that's the genius of the game in a nutshell - emotional investment.

You build survivors relationships, you make enemies - everything tries to kill you. When you finally get plumped up with weapons, ammo, food etc - you feel powerful. And you start to walk into towns and take out all the zombies like proper redneck Romero zombiehunters.

Its because you start out at the coast, so you get further and further in each time, and each time you need different provisions and you take different routes and there's always the threat of meeting a random person - good or bad. Your own adventure is forged - and each time you log on, a different path opens up really.

I'm playing with my friend and we've got to the very north east airfield - we went to Devil's Castle yesterday. We've trekked across country and have nice backpacks, plenty of food, a shitton of ammo - I've got my Makarov and an AKM with about 10 clips - 5 bandages, everything...

Yesterday we spent maybe 6 hours getting to these places - when we got to the airfield, zombie bodies kept popping up - someone was nearby. I found a dude looting the army barracks - here's my dilemma: A) Don't know if he's good or bad B) he's looting stuff...hmmm...c) if I don't shoot first, eventually I'll have to turn my back on him...even if there's two of us...
    At that point I decided that forging an alliance wasn't going to be worth the risk...so I murdered him in cold blood. He wished me to get eaten....lol.

I'm now a bandit! Character's been alive for three days, 78 zombie kills.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    So if you kill one survivor, you become a bandit?
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    So if you kill one survivor, you become a bandit?
    Yeah, but I didn't know if he was a bandit - there's no way to tell...!

I think if I had shot him first, but he'd killed me, that'd make me the bandit and he would get a bandit kill - but as I didn't even give the guy a chance to see me, let alone fire first - I'm the bandit.

My friend logged back in and instead of spawning at the airport she spawned in the "debug" zone - which you're not supposed to get into. Once you're there you can see a load of dead players, and you can't leave the area. So she's had to respawn - and was allegedly trying to get back to the airport last night...

-- -------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

should also add - the servers/game is now updated with additional cruelty!

Aside from a shedload of bugfixes - such as the monkey zombies animation and the hitting through walls bug, the game now starts you on the beach with the following items:

Torch
    Flashlight
    Painkillers...
    and f*ck all else.

So you have to find a gun, you have to find ammo - you literally get nothing.
    Don't know if I like that or not yet - it's hard enough to meet up with mates in the game upon spawning - now it's impossible until all the players at least have a weapon.

It's definitely not a forgiving game....

-- -------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

On the plus side now you can hide from the zeds if you get far away enough....and they can't see you through walls apparently..

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Yeah, but I didn't know if he was a bandit - there's no way to tell...!
    I thought your entire appearance changed?
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I thought your entire appearance changed?
    At first it did, then it became a death match with zombies - so they turned it off so you've no idea who you're really trusting in - which adds a fantastic social element to the game...!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    At first it did, then it became a death match with zombies - so they turned it off so you've no idea who you're really trusting in - which adds a fantastic social element to the game...!
    So what's the penalty in just shooting anyone/everyone you see (to be safe)?
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    So what's the penalty in just shooting anyone/everyone you see (to be safe)?

Good question - there is no penalty, it's a lifestyle choice!

You can become a bandit and hunt your way through the wastelands, killing any human character you see and looting them to death. You run into the following snags:

No friendly will trust a known bandit, you'll get no help if anyone's nearby to your plight.
    You'll probably be alone, making your journey through the wasteland 100 times slower and harder
    People won't think twice about killing you if they know you're a bandit.
    But there's more loot for the lone bandit!

On the friendly side:

You'll find it easier to group up with people (how you gonna group up with other bandits in the area? They're always gonna be bandits and you're just a big target yourself! You don't know them, so you're a victim to them too) -

if you demonstrate your trustworthyness by helping your fellow survivors, they'll have your back in times of a hoard.....thus it's easier to make friends and get into a group that will see you progress 100 times quicker in the game.

On the negative side, you all have to share the loot - well you don't, but who likes a hoarder in their team? No one. share and share alike will certainly take the helm as an idealogy.

However having said all that - I think there's a chance that when you "mouse-over" a character on certain servers, it tells you the type of player they are - but you have to be close-ish and that option needs to be enabled on the server - and there are various differences in configs such as no cursor, no third person view, no mouse over character etc...

also the servers run in real time and reflect the time of day outside of the locale that the server is in - so when you're on a UK server, and it's just getting dark, it starts to get dark in the game - so when you're in the night, you're literally in the night...! And man does that game change COMPLETELY in the nighttime!!