Thread: XCOM: Enemy Uniknown (video game)

Administrator

England

XCOM: Enemy Uniknown (video game)

You can see some ingame footage in this developer diary:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9r0S77Vh0#!

I really would love to see a zombie survival horror game using this sort of step time approach. ie: Controlling a group of survivors across tactical missions in step time. Getting across areas. Getting supplies. Rescuing people. etc etc...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    used to have the xcom game for psx back in the day. it was fun, but i never really had the patience or time to really get very far with it.

will likely check this one out, much more interested in this compared to the CoD wanna-be FPS name-rape they're also releasing this year.

Administrator

England
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEqjEMG6d_U#!

Again! We need a zombie survival game like this!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    It's seems to be true to the orginal and fun as hell... The "Thin men" aliens crack me up. They remind me of Men in Black.

It's quite funny to me that this came out. It wasn't on my radar and I had started playing the orginal about a month ago for the millionth time. Anyone gets it and wants to do a match in multiplayer...let me know.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow... The demo is a bit nothing... ie: Short!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I had to restart a new game on easy. I orginally started on classic difficulty(less funding...worse odds of hitting a target....lesser health...lesser damage...ect). I was doing GREAT until I lost funding from 3 countries....then the house of cards came tumbling down. I got too focused on research. My second playthrough will be on classic/iron man

Things I've learned so far (tiny spoiler...nothing major)

1) My "standard" issue interceptors couldn't handle the bigger ships within about 10-15 missions. (On classic)
    2) Do NOT sell your corpses or anything on the grey market unless you absolutely need an extra 5 dollars. I say 5 dollars because if you allow yourself more than that you will make a habit of it.
    3) Corpses have use even after they have been studied. They can be spent to create temporary perks for your interceptors(floaters/sectoids) or turned into armor plating (chrysalid)
    4) If you kill aliens....the weapons they drop will explode and turn to weapon shards. If you use the Arc Thrower to stun them. The weapons do not explode.
    5) Keep spare satellites along the ability to send them out. If a country panics right before the monthly council meeting. You lose their funding. If you can add a satellite...it removes two panic bars.
    6) The accuracy of plasma weapons are at least 2x better than the human weapons. If you get your troops to get these weapons, the game gets so much easier.
    7)Smoke grenades are for your soldiers not the enemy. The enemy's accuracy is penalized when shooting at one of your troops in smoke from a smoke grenade.
    8) Mutons make you say "oh damn" (huge Halo brute looking aliens) and Chrysalids make you "shit shit shit".
    9) Have about 6 or 7 saves. When in combat...save after every other turn....minimum. (Unless you play Iron Man mode)
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 14-Oct-2012 at 04:23 AM. Reason: .....

United States
    this game will be priced at $25 at wal-mart on black friday. while i won't brave the insanity, my gf and her mother usually go and catch some good deals. looks like i'm getting this one for christmas!

United States
    Storyline is somewhat short........multiplayer is sorta like a stressful chess game at times. Great game thou.

United States
    found this listed on amazon yesterday for $25, and i think the price is still the same right now...should arrive this week, will be eagerly diving into it sometime next weekend.

United States
    after only a handful of hours with this game, i'm in love. for the price i paid for this, i feel this is the best money i've spent on gaming this year, hands down. it's been over a decade since i played the psx game, but this has a very familiar feel and vibe to it, so it's a worthy reboot/remake/what-have-you.

playing on easy mode now, just getting the feel of it and seeing what it's all about. been naming and customizing all my squad members to resemble my brothers/cousins/co-workers/friends/etc. not looking forward to one of them biting the dust, lol.

i'm really digging the tension and suspense so far, waiting for your next move and hoping the aliens don't light you up in the meantime is intense. rescuing my first civilian was quite the ordeal.

throwing on a pot of coffee and diving right back in. totally recommended for those on the fence.