Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZombiU for Wii U

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    This game is AWESOME!

It's finally nice to see a game nail it's creepy atmosphere while putting survival horror back in the limelight. If you enjoyed the early Resident Evil games, you're sure to enjoy this.

The gamepad is used in pretty cool ways; when you use your backpack, the game continues on on the background much like Dark Souls, so you have to be wary of zombies shambling up. The voices coming through the speaker on the gamepad is a nice touch too, really draws you in.

Highly recommended overall. I think some of those reviews were expecting another Left 4 Dead, which is great in it's own right, but that's definitely not the gameplay experience you'll get with ZombiU.
    So you've played it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So you've played it?
    For a few hours last night, yeah. My time was split between it and Nintendo Land, which came with the system. I'll try and get another couple hours in tonight but so far, so good.

Undisclosed
    So, American Wii U owners: is this game the killer app worth buying the console for if you are a fan of classic survival horror?

Administrator

England
    ...and is the WiiU controller a gimmick? Or good!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ...and is the WiiU controller a gimmick? Or good!
    To answer krisvids question: I don't believe it's ever worth buying a console for a single game. If you're interested in the Nintendo classics (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc), and enjoy games from (my favorite) developer Platinum, who's bringing the exclusives "The Wonderful 101" and "Bayonetta 2" next year, then yes it's worth it. The future seems pretty bright on the software front.

Playing ZombiU is like playing through a first person Resident Evil. There's a heavy focus on exploration, atmosphere, and surviving zombie encounters by the skin of your teeth. I'm on my 9th survivor after about 6 hours of playing. Lots of nods to Demons/Dark Souls in showing how significant death can be.

Neil, I don't think it's any more of a gimmick than the Wii's original remote and nunchuk - it's all up to how the developer utilizes the gamepad. I foolishly bought a Wii within it's first months because of the whole "Revolution" hype. It ended up being the only console I've ever sold mid-generation.

NintendoLand and ZombiU are probably the best examples of what's possible so far, and I'm more than happy with my purchase.

Administrator

England
    ^^ And of course, you can play all your old/existing Wii games on it. ie: My kids love Wii Sports Resort, so they can keep playing it, and we can sell the old Wii unit.
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I've been a Nintendo fan pretty much all my life and have bought nearly every one of their consoles on their launch day. I'm a sucker for Mario and Zelda games. But this time around I'm not so certain... The last Zelda game felt archaic despite the motion controls and there werent enough really good 'mature' games on the Wii.
    On the other hand: ZombiU looks really good and the new Pikmin and inevitable 3D Mario will undoubtebly be awesome as well.
    Decisions, decisions ... I'll probably wait a few months and keep an eye on their upcoming releases. I don't want another avalanche of casual mini games collections.

From what I hear from local dedicated videogame shops the decision to wait it out has been made by Nintendo for me. I heard that most shops will only be getting two or three of the ZombiU packs and that a lot of people who have preordered the console will have to wait until januari to get theirs...

England
    I get the impression this is like Condemned. Tedious melee combat with puzzles.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    I'm on my 20th survivor now, still slogging my way through the London underground. I recently set off to retrieve my backpack full of supplies and was attacked by half a dozen zombies in broad daylight. I lost just about everything; two different pistols, grenades, Molotovs, flares, an AK-47 and a pump action shotgun went to the wind, and I was crushed.

Kidgloves, using that cricket bat IS tedious, and it makes it all the more thrilling to find a handful of ammo just so you don't have to rely on it's much. I liken the knife in the original RE games; it holds it's own one-on-one, but any more than that and you're better off running away.

I can't recommend this game enough. I'm not sure if it's worth buying an entire console over, but it is damn good.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    I'm on my 20th survivor now, still slogging my way through the London underground. I recently set off to retrieve my backpack full of supplies and was attacked by half a dozen zombies in broad daylight. I lost just about everything; two different pistols, grenades, Molotovs, flares, an AK-47 and a pump action shotgun went to the wind, and I was crushed.

Kidgloves, using that cricket bat IS tedious, and it makes it all the more thrilling to find a handful of ammo just so you don't have to rely on it's much. I liken the knife in the original RE games; it holds it's own one-on-one, but any more than that and you're better off running away.

I can't recommend this game enough. I'm not sure if it's worth buying an entire console over, but it is damn good.
    Great to hear buddy. I take it that its the atmosphere that makes the game good as well.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

Germany
    Looks like there are folks who have beaten ZombiU in Survival Mode (one infection = end of game). I haven't played the game, but I suspect that achievement would be considered impressive.

http://kotaku.com/5963932/zombiu-cre...meone-just-did

Undisclosed
    So yeah, been playing this the last couple of nights after I put the kids to bed and god damn, this is one tense, scary game.

You guys really need to check it out if and when given the chance; play this one late at night with the lights out and the volume up. Finally a videogame that makes zombies scary. Last time that happened for me was with the RE remake back in the Gamecube days.

England
    A port of this is now available on Xbox marketplace called Zombi

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    A port of this is now available on Xbox marketplace called Zombi
    Wonder how the special feature of holding the WiiU's controller over the actual screen is implemented?

Note: Seems it's available on XBox One and PS4 (not Xbox 360 ).
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    This is free on PS4 this month for ps plus members. Pretty excited about it after catching up on this thread.