Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Django Unchained (film)

Undisclosed

Django Unchained (film)

Always been a great spaghetti western lover (The Great silence being my favourite non-Leone one), so it will come as no surprise I like QT's films a lot. Really looking forward to this one.

Super Moderator

United States
    Oh, yeah! Checked this trailer out last night.

I'm hopeful. I figure I'll let myself get a little hyped, then go to see it in the theaters with 'what if it sucks' rattling around my head and probably either manage to eke some enjoyment out of it, or love it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Definitely up for this one, hopefully it rocks. It will be interesting to see how they use the set from Deadwood in this flick (I recognise Swerengen's place over-the-street from the Hotel in one publicity photo, but clearly they've moved things around a bit and changed the layout). It'll also be interesting to see how this flick cuts together, now that Sally Menke (QT's editor on all his flicks) is sadly no longer with us.

Ireland
    Quentin hasn't made a good film since 1994. So, I'm not holding my breath.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    I tried to watch the first Django movie and it was embarassingly bad.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I tried to watch the first Django movie and it was embarassingly bad.
    Sacrilege!
    Corbucci's films are an acquired taste i guess? One has to have a certain affinity with what most refer to as euro-'trash' but to me the original Django is a bit of a cult favourite.

@ shootem: no love for inglorious basterds or kill bill? I enjoyed every film QT did to some extent. I even liked Death Proof
    Last edited by krisvds; 09-Jun-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm gonna blow shoot's mind right now - I absolutely loved Death Proof. I know it got a lot of hate from some quarters, but I absolutely loved it.

Ireland
    aklsjdvn;odin po\'l;x rg !!!!

mynd bloown...caantt tipe.......

*ugh*

-- -------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    @ shootem: no love for inglorious basterds or kill bill? I enjoyed every film QT did to some extent. I even liked Death Proof
    'Kill Bill Vol 1' was Ok (just ok), but Vol 2 was the pits. However 'Inglorious Basterds' is the moment I stopped giving Tarentino chances.

Here's a review below (if you're interested):

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

'Inglorious Basterds'

I have to say, I'm done with Quentin. I've been giving him numerous chances since the brilliant 'Reservoir Dogs', but besides the decent 'Pulp Fiction' (VASTLY over rated though), he hasn't delivered...not once and this is the latest in a long series of disappointments.

Everything about this film is just irritating. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a parody of WWII (I get that). However, even as a parody, it stinks. It can't seem to get its own head around what it's supposed to be. So, subsequently, the viewer is left with the same fogginess.

In its defence, the first chapter is actually quite entertaining, even if the chapter idea is utterly ridiculous. Unfortunately, the opening sequence with the SS officer Landa and the French farmer is misleading in the extreme. It signals a vastly different film than the one we end up with. It is, for the most part, played entirely straight and with great suspense and it had me hooked for its duration. But, when you couple that scene, with end of the picture, you could be forgiven for thinking that you stepped out of a quality WWII movie and mistakenly stepped into a Mel Brooks comedy. The opening is incredibly deceitful.

The film rapidly descends into farce though, in the second chapter, when we are introduced to the "basterds". The entire scene and rest of the movie marred by Brad Pitt's terrible effort at a Tennessee drawl. "Wun Hunerd natzee skalps!". No sooner are we introduced to the avenging Jewish angels, then we're fast forwarded off to France in 1944, where the Basterds have been "killin' natzees" and their rep has been solidified!

The finale descends into it's obvious absurd conclusion, complete with a Hitler death at the hands of the Jewish soldiers and the abandonment of everything sensible. Even the chilling SS officer Landa is reduced to farce, completely stripped of the menace he oozed in the first chapter.

In short, the film is a series of set pieces, very loosely connected. The better ones being the beginning and the scene in the tavern. But, overall, the film is an absolute mess, pulling in far too many different directions. It's understandable that Tarantino had such a difficult time with the script and it seems that he never got around to ever pulling a truly finished draft. Quentin and his sycophants may think it's "kewl", but I want more than he has to offer.

In the end, like the producers of 'Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus', Quentin Tarantino is desperately hoping to capture the "so bad its good" vibe and is failing to understand that accident has a major part to play in that atmosphere, despite his wealth of knowledge in that area. Like Tarantino, I have a fondness for 70's Spaghetti WWII rip-off's, like the original 'Inglorious Bastards' or 'Five for Hell', but these films are entertaining, not because they set out to be deliberately bad, but because the filmakers just got it so wrong, due to various reasons including budget, schedule, lack of talent etc.

Tarantino has access to incredible amounts of money, schedule and talent...so stop deliberately trying to get things wrong. That doesn't mean, conversely, Tarantino is getting things "right". It just means that he's getting "wrong" wrong.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Thanks for the review. I disagree with it, but I understand why you disliked the film.
    Personally, I'm a huge fan of seventies and eighties (mainly Italian) genre/exploitation films AND the nouvelle vague of Truffaud and Godard. I know that's as eclectic as they come but it is also why I love QT's films so much. It's as if Godard and Leone got together and made a western you know? It's been there ever since Reservoir Dogs but has gotten more blatantly obvious from Kill Bill onwards. I love Kill Bill 2 for what it is; a spaghetti western. With martial arts mixed in, and dialogue to rival anything those French directors came up with in the fifties and sixties. It's a cocktail I find very enjoyable.

Although I can understand how fragmented and disjointed it may come across to some viewers. To me it just mixes up nicely. His films are about film more than they are films if that makes any sense?
    Say what you will of the chaotic nature of these last few films but there's one aspect no one in their right minds can ignore; brilliant photography and editing. His films excell in that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm gonna blow shoot's mind right now - I absolutely loved Death Proof.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

*Right Click, Save As...*

Administrator

England
    Didn't realise Tom Savini was in this!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Definitely up for this one
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Quentin hasn't made a good film
    Fixed for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Didn't realise Tom Savini was in this!
    Hide all PA's & groupies!

Administrator

England
    AICN likes it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60084

There is a great degree of fun to be had watching DJANGO UNCHAINED. You can see the passion Tarantino has for the project in every frame that comes across the screen, and that gets passed down to you as a member of the audience who is sure to be swept away by this simple story he’s put together with strong characters you want to spend nearly three hours of your life with. Don’t be surprised to find DJANGO UNCHAINED high up on my Top 10 list for the year, because this is a great piece of film and another instance where Tarantino takes his best shot at topping his previous works and comes pretty damn close to succeeding.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Nice! Comes across as a little too fall-upon-thy-knees of a review without the details, but I prefer to be spared the details at this point anyway...all the better to enjoy them in the theater!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany