Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim (film)

Undisclosed
    many geekgasms ensue.

Looks cool. Del Toro rarely dissapoints. If it's a big hit he might even fund his Lovecraft film which is something I really want to see.
    Untill then giant monsters vs robots will do I guess.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm one of the few that have yet to be impressed by what Del Toro's put up to offer. Although, I haven't seen his best work. But I thought Blade 2 and Hellboy were both pretty shitty (and ugly) and Mimic wasn't that great either. I've missed out on Pan's Labyrinth, so yeah. But I don't like his visual style. He reminds me off a sloppy Terry Gilliam with too much of an affinity for CGI.

Coming from that, this trailer doesn't blow me away. I love big robots, and especially big robots fighting. So I'll see this and I'll enjoy the hell out of every action scene in it. But the trailer itself makes the film seem very flat. Monsters appear. Robots appear. Idris Elba makes one of those really awkward speeches about how the human race will endure (which is so fucking talking out of his ass...) and they fight and I bet that the monsters are beaten. That's maybe my problem with Del Toro. He can't put a spin on his films. It's as if none of his films ever go past a first draft in their scripting, because all he cares about are cool visuals. I predict something similar here.

But -

I love big robots fighting more than I dislike Del Toro. So go figure.

Undisclosed
    Ned. You really should check out Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone. Both are good films and miles ahead of his more regular Hollywood fare.
    This will probably have nothing to do with those two smaller 'horror' fairy tales.
    Last edited by krisvds; 13-Dec-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah....Pan's Labyrinth is amazing. One of my top 5 films of the year it was released. I too don't enjoy Hellboy all that much, but Del Toro made a work of art with PL. Definitely check it out.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I like the simple fact that they explain away the monsters like in the mist with a simple "dimensional window" approach instead of a "they came from the sea" thing like cloverfeild that just made me think "then how the shit does its species go unnoticed and not eat the oceans empty?
    As for the flick i love giant monster flicks and in anime and videogames im a sucker for the giant robo stuff. Honestly im more excited for this than superman, looks like the popcorn sci-fi flick tron legacy was meant to be before it got kind of up its own ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Ned. You really should check out Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone. Both are good films and miles ahead of his more regular Hollywood fare.
    This will probably have nothing to do with those two smaller 'horror' fairy tales.
    yes to both, but especially devils backbone. Pans labyrinth is gorgeous, but the plots a bit generic fantasy and the acting is not so hot. Devils backbone however is a very, very good film not nearly enough people have seen.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I like the simple fact that they explain away the monsters like in the mist with a simple "dimensional window" approach instead of a "they came from the sea" thing like cloverfeild that just made me think "then how the shit does its species go unnoticed and not eat the oceans empty?
    IŽd have to disagree with you there. Not that I loved Cloverfield, but I prefer it when there's an aura of mystery around it. The explanation that there's a dimensional rift at the bottom of the ocean is just dumb. Why even include it? Do we have to explain everything? Especially when it's a lame explanation like that. It's a far more interesting scenario when it's just "We don't know - yet".

Ireland
    'Pans Labyrinth' would have been better if Del Toro had left out the (post) civil war nonsense TBH. It works best when it's focusing simply on the little girl's fantasy. There's a particularly creepy scene that's very well designed.

But, overall, I didn't really enjoy the whole thing.

The same can be said for 'The Devil's Backbone'. Although, I found 'Pans Labyrinth' more enjoyable. Out of the two I'd recommend that.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 14-Dec-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    IŽd have to disagree with you there. Not that I loved Cloverfield, but I prefer it when there's an aura of mystery around it. The explanation that there's a dimensional rift at the bottom of the ocean is just dumb. Why even include it? Do we have to explain everything? Especially when it's a lame explanation like that. It's a far more interesting scenario when it's just "We don't know - yet".
    i think "we dont need an explanation because mystery is better than a pointless explanation" has gone back round the trope wheel to making me want a pointless explanation again. So many films in the last decade relied on "just cus, dont ask why" that im kind of bored by it. Why only shamylan gets shit it i'll never know when its so common place that people think its just how you "be original" now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    i think "we dont need an explanation because mystery is better than a pointless explanation" has gone back round the trope wheel to making me want a pointless explanation again. So many films in the last decade relied on "just cus, dont ask why" that im kind of bored by it. Why only shamylan gets shit it i'll never know when its so common place that people think its just how you "be original" now.
    Well, again, I'd have to disagree with you. The way you write it, "just cus, dont ask why" really simplifies it. By all means, ask it! Have the characters ask it, the plot ask it, but what I don't need is a military officer standing in front of our main characters and explaining some bogus science idea infront of a few projected images in a military briefing room.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Pans Labyrinth' would have been better if Del Toro had left out the (post) civil war nonsense TBH.
    I actually really appreciated that aspect. Gave a real air of menace about the dreary and (seemingly) in-extractable reality the little girl was mired in.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Um...I thought it was rather childish and silly Aces. The Nationalist Captain is such a stupid OTT caricature, I had to roll my eyes back out of my head several times.. It also jars badly with the general flow of the film. It concentrates far too much on how ridiculously bad the Captain is, instead of focusing of Ophelia, where the real story was. The "realistic" parts of the film were just too ham-fisted and interfered with the fantasy parts to a greater extent than they should.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Much talked about footage from WonderCon finally available to the public:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EZ-u457Igo

England
    Is this set in the future? I'm not buying the "giant robots" shtick to be honest.

(I can suspend belief for aliens, dimensional portals and the like because they are created by "the other", I can't buy into super huge mechs created by modern day humans...especially when they move with such speed and power).

I know, I know, I'm a miserable git.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan