Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's IT (film) - 2017

Administrator

England

Stephen King's IT (film) - 2017

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56290

The best news? IT will be two films instead of one, and hopefully this will allow the story to breathe. I hope Warners goes for the R instead of the PG-13 with this one, and the mind already wonders at the casting. Who should be Pennywise is probably the most obvious question, and I hope that the writers keep it period (1957 and 1985 instead of 1984 and 2012... which makes me realize that It's time is coming around again...).

IT is a sprawling story, with side trips to as far back as the beginning of time, so two movies may not be able to do the book justice. Also, I know of one controversial scene towards the end that probably won't make it in. I'll keep my ears close to the ground on this one. So is there anyone that can come close to Tim Curry's iconic work here? And who should be cast as the Losers? For some reason I can see Tobey Maguire as Ben Hanscomb and Patton Oswalt as Eddie Kaspbrak... anyone else?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'd rather see "It" redone as a miniseries if it has to be remade. i'm not a huge fan of the first one, which i thought suffered from ridiculous casting (aside from tim curry). so, i'm not at all against the idea of revisiting "It." i just think that a 3 part miniseries makes more sense and can cover more ground.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    I wonder how faithful any film can be to the original book. Don't the kids start screwing each other at the end? Can't imaging any hollywood production going that far.

In fairness it's going to be be difficult to top Tim Curry as Pennywise. But, I hope Toby MacGuire is never allowed near another film...ever. Can't stand him.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    In fairness it's going to be be difficult to top Tim Curry as Pennywise.
    This was my very first thought. He is damn near impossible to follow up as an actor.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i'm not a huge fan of the first one, which i thought suffered from ridiculous casting (aside from tim curry). so, i'm not at all against the idea of revisiting "It." i just think that a 3 part miniseries makes more sense and can cover more ground.
    This.

The problem with "IT" - for me - was the book is WAY too fucking bloated (in typical King style). While I love the guy and most of his books, IT was a prime example of things gone wrong in King's writings. I don't need 4 chapters of 'flashback' in one kid's life to get acquainted to him and his relationship to the story. It's unnecessary and it screws the pacing of this book. I made it through it, but man, it wasn't an easy task. Someone needs to tell Stephen that TOO MUCH detail can be worse than NOT ENOUGH.

Regardless, I'd love to see this as a miniseries again (casted and shot properly) - but making it "two movies" - that's going to be a big mistake. Cut out all the unnecessary BS and you could easily cover this in one 2-2.5 hour movie. It's gonna be a bit long, but it will work.

United States
    Yeah, but doing it as a TV miniseries means it'll definitely be more PG. I want movies since they'd be able to gore it up and not cut the balls off it.
    I'm reading the book again, I like it, but it's pretty drawn out at the beginning.
    I'd also like them to redo The Stand, but no miniseries please.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    This.

The problem with "IT" - for me - was the book is WAY too fucking bloated (in typical King style). While I love the guy and most of his books, IT was a prime example of things gone wrong in King's writings. I don't need 4 chapters of 'flashback' in one kid's life to get acquainted to him and his relationship to the story. It's unnecessary and it screws the pacing of this book. I made it through it, but man, it wasn't an easy task. Someone needs to tell Stephen that TOO MUCH detail can be worse than NOT ENOUGH.

Regardless, I'd love to see this as a miniseries again (casted and shot properly) - but making it "two movies" - that's going to be a big mistake. Cut out all the unnecessary BS and you could easily cover this in one 2-2.5 hour movie. It's gonna be a bit long, but it will work.

i'm with you on that. every time i've read one of the man's books, i've thought to myself "does this dude actually have an editor??" there are parts of "It", "the stand", and several other of his books that should've had the red pen of death taken to them. less is always better.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Yeah, but doing it as a TV miniseries means it'll definitely be more PG. I want movies since they'd be able to gore it up and not cut the balls off it.
    I dont know about that nowadays, you've been watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones havent you? Gore and boobs all over the joint!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I dont know about that nowadays, you've been watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones havent you? Gore and boobs all over the joint!
    I think you're right - it just depends on what channel they put the miniseries on.

How about a Showtime or HBO mini-series? THAT would rock. We could get the gore, boobs, and all the language we could handle.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    How about a Showtime or HBO mini-series? THAT would rock. We could get the gore, boobs, and all the language we could handle.
    yes, indeed. i think that either network could do this up right. in fact, i would prefer that something like "It" be done by a cable network. the creepy sexual undertones that are so important to the book could be explored in a way on cable that network tv might be uncomfortable with.
    Last edited by Mike70; 12-Jun-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: d

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Never seen GoT. Is that where the boobage is? Never seen tig ol' bitties on Walking Dead.
    I hear you, though. Leave out any sex and keep the gore and language in there and I'm fine with AMC doing it, but HBO sounds better. Who knows?

Btw, how about Crispin Glover as Pennywise? He's weird as get out.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Never seen GoT. Is that where the boobage is? Never seen tig ol' bitties on Walking Dead.
    I hear you, though. Leave out any sex and keep the gore and language in there and I'm fine with AMC doing it, but HBO sounds better. Who knows?

Btw, how about Crispin Glover as Pennywise? He's weird as get out.
    There is plenty of boobage on GoT, you should definitely watch it, aside from the bloodthirsty gore and nudity its a bloody good series too, immense storytelling!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    yes, indeed. i think that either network could do this up right. in fact, i would prefer that something like "It" be done by a cable network. the creepy sexual undertones that are so important to the book could be explored in a way on cable that network tv might be uncomfortable with.
    True true. But let's not forget HBO turned a fourteen year old GoT character ( the Khaleesi) into a twenty-something because of some graphic sex scenes. Getting It right might prove trickier than we think.
    Also; I love that book to bits.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Also; I love to look at tits.
    Fixed.

Undisclosed
    Fixed.
    Why you ..... How did you ....
    LMAO!