Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stephen King's IT (film) - 2017

Ireland
    Yeh. What I've heard is that it's grand for the kid actors and 80's nostalgia, but short on actual scares - most of them being the loud noises type.

Like the recent 'Wonder Woman' film, it seems to have hit a vein of popularity that will no doubt be lost on me.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Well, I thought it was pretty good. Some nice visually impressive/inventive scares, and a nice 1980s/90s vibe.

Now, if anyone else goes to see it, please tell me what the opening scene was before the paper boat scene. I turned up to the film 10 minutes after the start time expected another 10-15mins of adverts, and the film had already begun! So I missed some sort of a scene in a basement with a facemask or something?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I haven't seen it yet, but I know

that the opening scene is Georgie having to go down into the basement to get grease to seal his paper boat that Bill is making for him and he's afraid of going down there. Ties in with a scene later on.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but I know

that the opening scene is Georgie having to go down into the basement to get grease to seal his paper boat that Bill is making for him and he's afraid of going down there. Ties in with a scene later on.
    Hmmm... I need some clarity on that then!

Go and see it and explain it to me
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I'm probably going to leave it til the small screen.

Haven't been that impressed by what I've heard so far.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, I thought it was pretty good. Some nice visually impressive/inventive scares, and a nice 1980s/90s vibe.

Now, if anyone else goes to see it, please tell me what the opening scene was before the paper boat scene. I turned up to the film 10 minutes after the start time expected another 10-15mins of adverts, and the film had already begun! So I missed some sort of a scene in a basement with a facemask or something?
    I saw it yesterday.

There's three scenes before Georgi goes out with his boat if I recall correctly. The first scene establishes Bill and Georgies relationship in Bills bedroom. Bill asks Georgi to fetch wax from the basement to waterproof the baot with. The second scene has Georgie descending into the cellar, looking for the wax. It features a faux scare as Georgie thinks he sees two glaring eyes in the darkness, but it turns out to be nothing. Georgie runs back up and then Bill fixes the boat with the wax.

I thought the film was alright. Not really scare, which left me disappointed. We're in such a good place with horror films these days that it really surprised me that this film - of all films - decided to go with such a loud take on horror. The music is all over the place and nothing is ever left to the imagination. We get to see everything to the tune of amped up Psycho strings. Not really unnerving at all. But maybe this horror film is meant for a younger crowd? Like "my first horror film" sorta thing?

The kids were great. I really think they nailed it with them. They manage to carry the film succesfully.

Bill Skarsgård, who plays the clown, is a swedish actor (and yet another son of Stellan Skarsgård). There's been a lot of hype focused on him, but really I don't think he got to do alot. While he's ever present, he either just gets to stand and look menacingly or he leaps out at the kids at which point he's all CGI anyway.
    I think I much prefer Tim Curry's clown.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Late 2019 will see the release of an in-depth documentary on the original IT miniseries, Pennywise: The Story of IT. I’m not exactly a fan of the miniseries, but I’m a sucker for making-of docs and this looks to be quite good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uONgK8_vu0

Last edited by bassman; 25-Feb-2019 at 01:10 AM. Reason: .