Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Scrotum 1990

Australia

Night of the Living Scrotum 1990

Hey gang. I'm trying to solve a mystery here and maybe you can all help me.

I seem to remember that in the 1990 remake of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, when the autopsy zombie makes his appearance and you see him naked from behind, you could make out his scrotum as he stumbles towards the car with Babs in it.

Now, on the DVD and HDTV versions, his balls are definitely not visible. However, its quite a dark, shadowy area down there and they could have been optically painted out quite easily.

The workprints that I have seen are of poor quality and are of little use for checking such a small detail (no offense to the actor).

Anyway, can anyone else confirm that their old VHS version contained a glimpse of the zombie's testicles in this shot?

I'm going off my memory of the old Aussie VHS tape which also featured b&w closing credits, unlike the black&orange/umber ones that the DVD and HDTV versions feature. Perhaps there's a correlation between the two differences?

If anyone from any country could check their old VHS tapes and confirm the presence (or lack) of balls - along with which version of the end credits are featured - it would be greatly appreciated. I need to put this issue to rest.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Griff; 11-Jun-2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: speling
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    In the shot from behind the corpse, the 'gooch' area between balls and anus are definitely visible in the version aired on UK cable around the mid-nineties. Orange hue ending.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Undisclosed
    Man, why do you want to be staring at some dude's junk anyway?

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    In the shot from behind the corpse, the 'gooch' area between balls and anus are definitely visible in the version aired on UK cable around the mid-nineties. Orange hue ending.
    Thanks, capn.

Somebody has just confirmed for me that the autopsy zombie's balls do indeed make a brief cameo in the Australian VHS version and that that version contains the B&W end credits sequence. He compared it against the US DVD and said that the nuts have definitely been obscured in that version (sepia credits).

So, it'd be interesting to get an idea of where and when this little bit of censorship started happening. The Aussie tape was released in Oct of 1992. I also had a bootleg tape of the film just a few months prior to that which was balls-enhanced and had the b&w credits so it can't be the only source.

Check your versions, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    Man, why do you want to be staring at some dude's junk anyway?
    I don't ever recall expressing such a desire...
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    On the R1 dvd release(below), I'm fairly certain his genital area can be seen. I'm not sure if it's his scrotum but there is definitely a hairy area in that shot. Kinda disturbing, but the angle of the shot just begs you to take notice.

This version also ends with the orange-ish credits. This is the first i've heard of a b&w version.

Perhaps all these question would be answered if we ever see the release of the director's cut blu ray that Savini promised ages ago....
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Jun-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: .

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    On the R1 dvd release(below), I'm fairly certain his genital area can be seen. I'm not sure if it's his scrotum but there is definitely a hairy area in that shot. Kinda disturbing, but the angle of the shot just begs you to take notice.

This version also ends with the orange-ish credits. This is the first i've heard of a b&w version.

Yup. I've got that version and there was definitely more "on show" in the old tape I remember.

Perhaps all these question would be answered if we ever see the release of the director's cut blu ray that Savini promised ages ago....
    Twilight Time are releasing this on blu ray in October. They do a limited run of 3000 units, usually with no special features (though they may recycle the DVD ones if we're lucky). They have a 3 year exclusivity contract with Sony so there won't be another edition along anytime soon - not that Sony seem interested in this title if they're farming it out to TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Now, now, Neil. Everybody loves a good mystery - and The Case of the Missing Zombie Scrotum is one of the best!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Twilight Time are releasing this on blu ray in October. They do a limited run of 3000 units, usually with no special features (though they may recycle the DVD ones if we're lucky). They have a 3 year exclusivity contract with Sony so there won't be another edition along anytime soon - not that Sony seem interested in this title if they're farming it out to TT.
    Well that's sad news. A year or two back someone interviewed Savini and he said he was currently working on a director's cut for blu ray....

Undisclosed

United States
    Balls.

UK
    "It is confirmed that the testicles of the recently deceased are returning to life and attacking the living..."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post

I don't ever recall expressing such a desire...
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with looking at mooseknuckles and I fully support you in your quest for 1080p hairy hangers.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I scrolled down this thread REALLY carefully, just like when I used to look at Encyclopedia Dramatica, in the fear that someone might have posted a huge and horrific image halfway down the page.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    "It is confirmed that the testicles of the recently deceased are returning to life and attacking the living..."
    "TEABAGGING the living..."

Great Britain

Would have been an all different Genre