Thread: Dead State: Zombie Survival RPG

United Kingdom

Dead State: Zombie Survival RPG

Just thought I'd bring the attention of anyone reading this forum to a game called Dead State that's currently in development.
    It's going to be a turn-based RPG and tactics game the likes of Fallout, X-Com and Jagged Alliance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMl-_9J1gtg

Lots more info the website:
    http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/

For anyone keen on Kickstarter it's currently on its last two days if you want to to chip in.
    Last edited by Craig; 03-Jul-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Messed up video link.

United States
    "Dead State"? Really?

United Kingdom
    It's set in Texas I believe so the name is probably a play on 'Red State'.

Administrator

England
    A turn based tactical zombie game - This is what I've been asking for for ten years!!?!?!? But do you control a single character, or a team!? Can't seem to find out!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    But do you control a single character, or a team!? Can't seem to find out!?
    From the 'about' section on the website:
    -Strategic turn-based gameplay: combines single-player character control with streamlined ally AI management, allowing for innovative party control
    Though what the hell that means is anyones guess! It's looking good though.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Hmmm....

I want to control a group of 3-4 people. I want each to have differing skills/attributes. I want to be able to make two of them defend a door, while 1-2 others get the supplies from inside. I want to be able to send one elsewhere to be a lookout etc etc. I want to be able to send two to help move the survivors we've found from A->B while my other 1-2 characters scout ahead to clear the way...

Etc etc....

AI will not permit this
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    I would think you have some control over your squad members, perhaps with a degree of autonomy for the AI. I mean, I don't really see how a game like this would work otherwise. It's no good if you're out on a scavenging mission and your carefully picked team members are just doing whatever the hell they want.

From the Kickstarter page:
    -Reactive AI that responds realistically to combat situations, player commands, and the state of panic from the presence of zombies.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Fingers crossed!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Looks like it was made 15 years ago.

Anyway, if it's good to play, looks don't matter.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Love me some turn based RPGs. And love me some Zombies. . . .so fingers crossed here as well!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United Kingdom
    Well the Kickstarter is finished and it got just over double the funding initially asked for, which is pretty coo'.

Administrator

England
    Don't get those Kickstarters... The people donating the money don't get any financial recompense?
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Turn based? Hmmm...

I swear these zombie games are SO over complicated....I'm now a full convert to Day Z - simplicity creates it's own natural dramas...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Turn based? Hmmm...

I swear these zombie games are SO over complicated....I'm now a full convert to Day Z - simplicity creates it's own natural dramas...
    DayZ is a FPS...

Turn based will (hopefully) allow tactical play, and a different take on the horror!
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I spose you gotta have a pre-disposition for those sort of games...Day z though could just as easily be a top down type game like this one and still have more balls.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.