Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have shamed myself.... I watched... Snow White & The Huntsman

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i think i've hit rock bottom folks. i watched "Critters" last night - voluntarily. maybe it's billy zane getting ripped apart, maybe it is dee wallace (whom i've always had the hots for), or maybe it is the completely ridiculous nature of the entire production. i keep trying to console myself with the old "but there are worse movies." what's next? i think only a Leprechaun marathon can eliminate this pain i feel.
    I fully expect to see your "I have shamed myself..." post this week, Mike. Especially with Critters and Leprechaun on your list!

I will get one up soon regarding my "CHILLERAMA" experience from last week. Dear jesus, how do people get money to make these kinds of films?!?!!

Super Moderator

UK
    Why would anyone be ashamed of seeing Critters?!?! Yes, without Gremlins there would be no Critters, and Critters 4 was a bit shit and boring, but 1-3 rocked my socks.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Why would anyone be ashamed of seeing Critters?!?! Yes, without Gremlins there would be no Critters, and Critters 4 was a bit shit and boring, but 1-3 rocked my socks.
    Well, lemme ask you this, MZ - have you watched it lately? Does it still hold up?

That might be the answer to your question.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Well, lemme ask you this, MZ - have you watched it lately? Does it still hold up?

That might be the answer to your question.
    I watched all four of them recently, and they still hold up. #1 still rocks but has less Critter action than you remember (they really upped the ante for #2 and #3), but #4 is practically Krite-free, which was shit. They must have blown the cash on the spaceship set and forgot that it's a movie about murderous balls of fur with spikes, claws and sharp teeth.

Both Gremlins movies are "better films" sure, but I love the Critters movies too.

United States
    I watched all four of them recently, and they still hold up.
    Cool! I haven't watched a Critter movie in well over a decade. Perhaps it's time for me to re-visit.

I liked the Gremlins movies, but Critters was a lot more....dark I'd say. Gremlins, at least you had Gizmo being all cute until all hell breaks loose. There's nothing "cute" about the Critters.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Yes, without Gremlins there would be no Critters,
    you know that to this day, the guy who wrote Critters swears up and down that it was written and in development for years before Gremlins came out. he even claims that a lot of Critters had to be rewritten to avoid similiarites between the two. he does not dispute that Gremlins success got him the money to make Critters, he just takes offense to the idea that Critters is little more than a rip off.

-- -------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Why would anyone be ashamed of seeing Critters?!?!
    because it is a movie about furry things from space that eat everything in their path and are being chased by a dude who looks like leif garrett and adam goodman's love child.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    because it is a movie about furry things from space that eat everything in their path and are being chased by a dude who looks like leif garrett and adam goodman's love child.
    He does have a point there, MZ.

Super Moderator

UK
    Cool! I haven't watched a Critter movie in well over a decade. Perhaps it's time for me to re-visit.

I liked the Gremlins movies, but Critters was a lot more....dark I'd say. Gremlins, at least you had Gizmo being all cute until all hell breaks loose. There's nothing "cute" about the Critters.
    Like I say, the 4th one (in space) is a real let-down ... looks good from a production stand-point, but good god, what a bore-fest.

1 is classic, while 2 and 3 are real monster mashes filled with Krites and good old black humour and gore ... and a Playboy centrefold with a giant staple stuck in her belly.

you know that to this day, the guy who wrote Critters swears up and down that it was written and in development for years before Gremlins came out. he even claims that a lot of Critters had to be rewritten to avoid similiarites between the two. he does not dispute that Gremlins success got him the money to make Critters, he just takes offense to the idea that Critters is little more than a rip off.

-- -------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Now that is interesting - I'd never heard that about Critters having been in development prior to Gremlins - fascinating. I've never personally considered Critters a "rip off" by any means, but yes - as the guy said - it certainly helped fund it. Personally though I just enjoyed the hell of it. I've never considered them low-rent or cheesy, but rather they've been hella good fun ... great little monster movies with a slightly harder edge than Gremlins ... I love both Gremlins movies (the second is especially barmy in a fantastic way), but they do go for a mostly cuter and zanier aesthetic (the odd microwaved gremlin or fireside chat with Phoebe Cates aside )

I must re-watch both Gremlins movies again. They keep doing the rounds on TCM, but I keep missing them, but it's annoying that TCM still insist in broadcasting in the incorrect ratio ... that really annoys me. Every other channel can get it right, but TCM and TCM2 are forever broadcasting in the incorrect format (not the programming itself, but rather the feed coming from TCM) and I hate degrading the quality by manually fixing the ratio with my remote (plus it ends up pushing half of the EPG info off screen as a result) ... /rant.

He does have a point there, MZ.
    Point denied!!!

United States
    Point denied!!!
    Denied? He's actually quite right - the "concept" of critters is actually comical and looney. Doesn't mean it wasn't a decent flick, but still, the idea itself? Quite hilarious.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Denied? He's actually quite right - the "concept" of critters is actually comical and looney. Doesn't mean it wasn't a decent flick, but still, the idea itself? Quite hilarious.
    will it be pistols or swords, gentlemen? somebody needs to remember to bring frilly shirts and a hankerchief to drop. no duel is complete without frilly shirts and a hankerchief drop.

Undisclosed
    Thought I'd get into the embarrassment and watched 'Chopping Mall' the other night. If you have ever seen it; it's as hilariously bad as you remember it with 'jokes' so unfunny they are ...
    It deals mainly with a trio of security droids shooting lasers at some youngsters trapped in a mall overnight. Lots of running and screaming and 'POOF' exploding body parts ensue.

Pooof
    Last edited by krisvds; 18-Jul-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: .

United States
    will it be pistols or swords, gentlemen? somebody needs to remember to bring frilly shirts and a hankerchief to drop. no duel is complete without frilly shirts and a hankerchief drop.

Let's do this!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Thought I'd get into the embarrassment and watched 'Chopping Mall' the other night. If you have ever seen it; it's as hilariously bad as you remember it with 'jokes' so unfunny they are ...
    It deals mainly with a trio of security droids shooting lasers at some youngsters trapped in a mall overnight. Lots of running and screaming and 'POOF' exploding body parts ensue.
    url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_5FU5ikcE]Pooof[/url]
    for a second i thought this was the movie with Emilio Estevez where he gets trapped in the mall. that's an anthology called "nightmares" though. i don't remeber "chopping mall" but since i have a soft spot for 80s cheese, i think i might have to find a copy of this.

-- -------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Let's do this!

somebody better warn MZ that you only plan on taking 5 steps instead of 10.

the cat in the blue waistcoat has a determined and rather devilish gleam in his eye. the cat in the tan one has a rather resigned yet heroic look, as if he is has accepted his fate but is determined to face it through to the end.
    Last edited by Mike70; 18-Jul-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: d

Super Moderator

UK

the cat in the blue waistcoat has a determined and rather devilish gleam in his eye. the cat in the tan one has a rather resigned yet heroic look, as if he is has accepted his fate but is determined to face it through to the end.
    1) That Lou, he's an underhanded rapscallion...

2)

You could just wait for your opponent to shoot first, most likely miss, then charge at him and shoot when your gun is pointed right in his face ... take that Mister 5 Steps Instead of 10.

United States

You could just wait for your opponent to shoot first, most likely miss, then charge at him and shoot when your gun is pointed right in his face ... take that Mister 5 Steps Instead of 10.
    Dammit, my plans FOILED AGAIN!

MZ - I could always do what Simon Pegg did to Duane (Peter Serafinowicz) in Spaced when they were playing paintball...

"It's not a bed set... It's a FLAT!"

<boom>

Right in the nuts!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 18-Jul-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: .