Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead: Survival Instincts (video game)

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Day Z has basically taken everything this game wants to be and realised it already - however...this is a proper game, not a mod done by one random Russian genius...there should be LOADS of thought put into this - but the idealogy sounds the same -survival, stealth, etc etc.

The genius about Day Z is it's complete lack of rules - that's the issue that this game will have to overcome (this is of course, if it's a multiplayer game at all). The idea that you start from an arbitrary coastline location with nothing in your pockets, and have to survive your way through the game using stealth and cunning whilst the whole time being threatened with death by disease, starvation, thirst, cold, and of course bandits roaming the map. Then when you do meet a friendly, you're so relieved to have met someone who you can roll with that the game takes on an entirely different meaning.

That's what makes the Walking Dead such a special story, the lack of rules and the survival element with not just zombies to worry about - but a whole raft of social issues - when you get infected and start coughing all over the place, not even friendlies will want to be near you - you'll be outcast!

So in summary, the genius for the game will be taking the Day Z idealogy and applying it to this world - removing the rules and boundaries that game makers instantly go to...and just letting whatever happens, happen. Make it tough, make the players bleed - and don't give 'em anything - not even a gun. That's the real world right there, which TWD is all about
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Some info and a couple of screenshots:

http://dailydead.com/first-screensho...ps-video-game/

FEATURES

An engrossing single player campaign that lets players experience the world of The Walking Dead through the eyes of fan-favorite, Daryl Dixon.

A unique style of gameplay that blends first-person action with resource management for a focus on surviving the undead nightmare.

Authentic character design and frighteningly realistic animations. Walkers look, move and react to sights, sounds and smells just the way that they do in the hit television show.

An emphasis on survival – every threat needs to be assessed and every situation analyzed. Players will choose whether to stay and fight while risking a gruesome death or using stealth to avoid the undead. Resources are scarce and scattered; gamers will have to not only ration supplies, but carefully consider their food, medical needs, ammunition, and other goods as survival in the game is based upon wit and intellect more so than simple, sheer skill.

Decisions matter as Daryl will encounter a slew of characters that can help or hurt him in a variety of ways; whether or not they accompany him is completely up to the player and represents just some of the major decisions that will constantly be made.

Terminal Reality’s using their proprietary Infernal Engine and wealth of experience to create an amazing experience for both fans and newcomers alike.

UK
    lets players experience the world of The Walking Dead through the eyes of fan-favorite, Daryl Dixon.
    Looking forward to that squirrel hunting mini-game then! (hopefully co-op!!)

Nice screen shots though, will be keeping an eye on this.

United States
    Hey, who the hell has been taking pictures of my former residence?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Hey, who the hell has been taking pictures of my former residence?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    If you just want to shoot zombies get yourself one of these

^ What on earth is that? Do we need a third thread for Walking Dead games?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^ What on earth is that? Do we need a third thread for Walking Dead games?
    I get the impression its nothing more than a cash grab Neil using a generic zombie light gun game.
    Kirkman has said that the game this thread is about was pushed forward by AMC themselves and has nothing to do with him and, seeing as AMC announced early on that they wholly owned The Walking Dead, I wouldn't be surprised if this game was rushed out to take advantage of the WD brand by AMC.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...tinct-revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2KdJ--kRVo

For being a "huge fan", that guy seems to get Merle's name wrong quite often...

United States
    color me unimpressed. everything in the gameplay footage looks way too slick and clean. one of those walkers looked like he was wearing lego hair it was so slick and glossy. merle looks like he's got the skin and complexion of a 18 year-old kid, and nothing about that world screams "zombie apocalypse". seriously, i've seen better and more realistic graphics on the psx with resident evil 2's opening scene.

and those fat twitchy fucks discussing the game got on my nerves real quick. had to shut it down after about 5 minutes.

as of now, this just reeks of a "me too!" cash-grab that may be worth picking up in the bargain bin. maybe i'll see something down the road that convinces me otherwise, but as of now, fuck this game, i'm saving my dough for state of decay; now that's gonna be an epic zombie romp.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ The game is still roughly a year from release. It's probably safe to assume the graphics will improve over that time period. Ghostbusters looked quite awesome, if I do say so myself. No reason they can't make TWD look the same.

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I saw a screenshot recently and it had a note on it saying that it wasn't representative of the final quality of the game (same thing happened with the GB game which, I agree, looked good when it was finished). This is definitely in the rough stage at the moment, which makes you wonder why they're pimping it just yet - how about make a trailer/release some screenshots of what the finished game will actually look like before leaping into this sort of thing.

As for the IGN reportage, I skipped all that shite ... the interviewer particularly does my head in. He does a lot of IGN's video reviews of games, and his narration style is god awful. He emphasises too many words (like he's straining out a tough turd), and it always sounds like he's over-excited/shouting but at a normal conversational decibel level. Yeah ... can't be doing with his presenting style at all.

Speaking of the game generally, I'm definitely up for it. Terminal Reality did a spiffing job with the GB game, so I've got reasonably high hopes for this one. They definitely need to tweak it a bit ... some of those walkers looked a bit spry in some shots. Hopefully the finished version of the game looks and plays very well indeed.

*fingers crossed*

United States
    "An emphasis on survival – every threat needs to be assessed and every situation analyzed. Players will choose whether to stay and fight while risking a gruesome death or using stealth to avoid the undead."

So we can cover ourselves with zombie guts and walk amongst the living dead?
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    This is reminding me a lot of the crappy tie in game LOST: via domus the more i see of it..

Administrator

England
    Here are the game's main features:-

An engrossing single player campaign that lets players experience the world of The Walking Dead through the eyes of fan-favorite, Daryl Dixon.

A unique style of gameplay that blends first-person action with resource management for a focus on surviving the undead nightmare.

Authentic character design and frighteningly realistic animations. Norman Reedus (Darryl) and Michael Rooker (Merle) provide the voice of their characters. Walkers look, move and react to sights, sounds and smells just the way that they do in the hit television show.

An emphasis on survival - every threat needs to be assessed and every situation analyzed. Players will choose whether to stay and fight while risking a gruesome death or using stealth to avoid the undead. Resources are scarce and scattered; gamers will have to not only ration supplies, but carefully consider their food, medical needs, ammunition, and other goods as survival in the game is based upon wit and intellect more so than simple, sheer skill.

Decisions matter as Daryl will encounter a slew of characters that can help or hurt him in a variety of ways; whether or not they accompany him is completely up to the player and represents just some of the major decisions that will constantly be made.

Terminal Reality's using their proprietary Infernal Engine and wealth of experience to create an amazing experience for both fans and newcomers alike.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ^ The game is still roughly a year from release. It's probably safe to assume the graphics will improve over that time period.
    That's what I thought as well. I expected it to be released around the season four premiere. Now it appears it will be released in early March meaning that the game is all but finished.
    It 's not looking good to say the least. Most of the zombie models they are using have Ken and Barbie hair!