Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Asylum - Yeh, someone is going to (finally) sue their arses off!

Administrator

England

The Asylum - Yeh, someone is going to (finally) sue their arses off!

Their latest film is "Age of the Hobbit"... enough said!

Let's hope they get nailed to a wall over this with spears!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20252820
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    YES!

On the down side, you won't see as many "I have shamed myself..." posts from me (which is probably a good thing for most folks! ).

On the up side: no more Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies, Transmorphers, Sharktopus, or Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus-type flicks.

I see nothing but good things coming from this.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 08-Nov-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    About bloody time. I'm sick of shit rip off movies getting chucked out with terrible acting, direction, scripts, effects, production etc etc etc - all that time, effort and money wasted on dreck, when it could be going to fund good projects by eager filmmakers who struggle to get heard ... heck, some of that money could be used for Deadlands III instead!

I'm stunned that nobody has sought to sue them until now - when you see titles like "The Terminators", with enemies in them that look decidedly familiar, you really have to wonder how they've not been sued before?!

This doesn't mean you can't have a cheesy movie that's just a bit of fun getting made, but the best cheesy movies have been made with the best intentions, and haven't been blatant copycats. There's a big difference between, for example, the stuff Roger Corman put out back in the day, and what The Asylum gets away with.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    heck, some of that money could be used for Deadlands III instead!
    Might I also be so bold as to suggest, perhaps, a full length Zombie Man flick?

Administrator

England
    About bloody time. I'm sick of shit rip off movies getting chucked out with terrible acting, direction, scripts, effects, production etc etc etc - all that time, effort and money wasted on dreck, when it could be going to fund good projects by eager filmmakers who struggle to get heard ... heck, some of that money could be used for Deadlands III instead!

I'm stunned that nobody has sought to sue them until now - when you see titles like "The Terminators", with enemies in them that look decidedly familiar, you really have to wonder how they've not been sued before?!

This doesn't mean you can't have a cheesy movie that's just a bit of fun getting made, but the best cheesy movies have been made with the best intentions, and haven't been blatant copycats. There's a big difference between, for example, the stuff Roger Corman put out back in the day, and what The Asylum gets away with.
    If this legal case goes against them, you never know they may not risk their normal $hit in future, meaning they'll actually - shock horror - have to make original features!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If this legal case goes against them, you never know they may not risk their normal $hit in future, meaning they'll actually - shock horror - have to make original features!
    We can only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Might I also be so bold as to suggest, perhaps, a full length Zombie Man flick?

Here here!

Super Moderator

United States
    People making a product others utilize, pulling in a profit and providing jobs...we must crush zem!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Aces, you got a point, but... Hm. Yeah no, you do.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    People making a product others utilize, pulling in a profit and providing jobs...we must crush zem!
    While ripping off the creators and craftsmen who brought the original product in the first place...

The Asylum don't have to go, but for goodness sake, they should be doing something original - or at the very least not being the magpies of filmmaking, shamelessly stealing the hard work of others and pumping out steaming turds.

Administrator

England
    Parasites living off other peoples talent and hard work, and tricking the public into renting their material instead of the vastly superior originals (stealing their money?)? Yes, we must crush zem!

As MZ just said, and I've said in the past, they clearly have the facilities and know how to make solid original productions. So why not?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Damn, Neil...it was Transmorphers you rented by accident, wasn't it? That's what has you so in a twist over Asylum.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Damn, Neil...it was Transmorphers you rented by accident, wasn't it? That's what has you so in a twist over Asylum.
    Luckily I've never given a cent to them... But there's plenty of stories of people who have got home for a real shock with a digital pile of dog $hit playing onto their TVs...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The Asylum don't have to go, but for goodness sake, they should be doing something original - or at the very least not being the magpies of filmmaking, shamelessly stealing the hard work of others and pumping out steaming turds.

Replace "The Asylum" with "Hollywood" in that sentence and it STILL makes sense with all the remakes as of late. How scary is that?!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Replace "The Asylum" with "Hollywood" in that sentence and it STILL makes sense with all the remakes as of late. How scary is that?!
    *sighs* Let me predict "Age of the Hobbit" will be a truly painful watch. Let me also predict the story resembles the Hobbit, and its cover/posters strangely resemble the Hobbit's too!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    *sighs* Let me predict "Age of the Hobbit" will be a truly painful watch. Let me also predict the story resembles the Hobbit, and its cover/posters strangely resemble the Hobbit's too!
    I'm sure it will be. In fact, I have no doubts.

I wonder why Asylum didn't make their hobbit movie 3 parts too....?