Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman massacre: People killed at Dark Knight premiere

Administrator

England

Batman massacre: People killed at Dark Knight premiere

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-16187436.html

Local media sources in Colorado are reporting that 10 people have been killed at the premiere of Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises in the suburbs of Denver.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    http://www.zombiemib.com/2012/07/mas...ght-rises.html

These types of incidents are referred to by police as "Active Shooters" and our most dreaded scenario. Eye witnesses said he was wearing body armor, Kevlar Helmet and black combat fatigues.
    There were at least two off duty police officers at the theater. Confirmed 10 dead, 40 wounded. Apparently a young theater employee pulled the fire alarm since the crowd thought the shooting was from the movie on screen. The Active Shooter moved methodically through the theater shooting anyone that stayed or took cover inside. That kid saved dozens of lives tonight.
    http://www.9news.com/video/9newsonline.aspx
    Last edited by rgc2005; 20-Jul-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: additional info

Undisclosed
    So sad. What should be a cause for celebration (one of the very few intelligent blockbuster series premieres!) is seriously overshadowed by such an atrocious act.
    Last edited by krisvds; 20-Jul-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Supposedly "14 people dead, and over 50 are wounded," now...

Horrible...

How the hell were so many people wounded!! If he was shooting them, surely you'd think the casualty rate would be higher. And out of those 50+ people there's probably folks now with life long disfigurements, disabilities etc etc...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Just heard about this. F*cking horrible.

Now for the inevitable political groups trying to co-opt this to push their agendas, as usual...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Horrible news. It will be interesting to hear why it happened.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Horrible news. It will be interesting to hear why it happened.
    It happened because he's a wacko.

For decades as we rationalists have defended screen violence as unlikely to trigger this sort of nonsense in most people, some nut job comes down from his tree bound and determined to prove us wrong. Still I grieve deeply for the loss of life and those injured by this individual.

And on the morning news, let the wild speculations commence.

Way Zim
    Last edited by wayzim; 20-Jul-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: corrected sentence

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Just heard about this. F*cking horrible.

Now for the inevitable political groups trying to co-opt this to push their agendas, as usual...
    Exactly right. The firearms were legal, so I guess we know what that political agenda is gonna be.
    It's strange how the fact that the firearms are legal is a major point in this situation. When the firearms are illegal you really don't hear much about that. It may be reported merely as a fact of the case, but it's not a major point of contention. With this one though they're really driving home the point that these firearms were legal and recently purchased. From what it seems, there was an M4/AR-15 with a drum mag, a Mossberg 12ga with extended mag tube, and a Glock with a hi-cap mag.
    He was also wearing a ballistic vest with neck and groin attachments, gas mask, kevlar helmet. So it's probly a good bet that they're gonna go after the entire get up here. Placing restrictions on citizens having ballistic vests, gas masks, helmets, etc...And drumming up the fear! From this point on, anyone that owns ANYTHING such as vest, gas mask, helmet, well,, he's obviously a "Dark Knight shooter" waiting to happen.

England
    Without getting into the guns debate, is there really any need for civilians to own ballistic vests, gasmasks, helmets etc? When I was between probably about 6 and 15 owning stuff like that was cool, me and my mates used to "play army" in full webbing, combats, helmets etc, but grown men who are neither in the military or police buying up ally kit like that? seems a bit strange to me.
    This nutjob was obviously into collecting similar stuff

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Remember post kickass a bunch of people went around in costumes trying to be IRL heros?

Denver has one. And like 6 months ago someone asked him "dont you think you may just escalate things?" and today told him about the "mass homocide" and he goes "ill look into it"

Theres social commentary here, but i cant make it without making a too soon batman joke...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Without getting into the guns debate, is there really any need for civilians to own ballistic vests, gasmasks, helmets etc? When I was between probably about 6 and 15 owning stuff like that was cool, me and my mates used to "play army" in full webbing, combats, helmets etc, but grown men who are neither in the military or police buying up ally kit like that? seems a bit strange to me.
    Which has been the big thing for the survivalists among us, yes? Especially If you're one to believe it's Big Gov, not flesh eaters which is the problem - or you're into a kick ass game of paint ball?

Still, apparently the nutjob was no slouch when it came to preplanning this thing - including the additional surprises at his apartment which might have taken down alot more people - like one of those MIT pranks gone seriously wrong. It means we can't ever underestimate even the wackos ( and yes, that's a Batman reference )

Way Zim

Undisclosed
    I always thought it pointless to try and have a calm and rational debate on subjects such as the freedom to possess weapons right after a horrifying event like this one.
    Base emotions tend to take over all ratio rendering the debate pointless.
    You see this all the time in the way some politicians react to these things; abusing people's emotions for their own agenda, proposing makeshift laws 'du jour' reacting to an event and not previsaging problems.
    By now most of you know where I stand in this debate but i refuse to bring it into this discusson this soon. It's a slap in the face of both calm and sensible gun owners as well as the more liberal pacifists out there. It is especially tasteless for those involved in the tragedy. Screw politics, fear and nutjobs like this. I'm taking my family to the movies this weekend.
    Damn shame TDKR isn't out untill next wednesday here in Belgium or I'd see that.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    There is being prepared, being ripped off, being ridiculous and worrying the crap out of me levels of personal readiness.

I have ran into some truly scary people in my time but nobody scared me more than a quietly disturbed kid whose dad owned an ATF FFL 3 license. He was running around at night dressed like the guy in the picture above following police to runs for "Back Up".
    It took one phone call to the ATF to have it pulled pending investigation.

In Louisville we have one of the largest independent gun shows in the world. They sell everything a Prepper, Preacher, Pimp, Property Owner could ever dream of for home defense or zombie onslaught.
    The ATF and DEA love it because everybody shows up and they collect more intel in one weekend than they could collect with 100 drones and 1000 wiretaps.

Two pistols, a rifle and a shotgun are not an arsenal. Each has a legitimate sporting use and would never throw a flag up in any system. Smoke grenades are easily available even military grade. They cost a lot but they don't blow up so they are not regulated.

Regarding the comments about all of the combat gear, helmets and bullet proof vests available for civilian use. There is a greater chance of stopping the rain from falling. Almost every bit of combat gear has some sort of civilian equivalent. I can go to the nearest Walmart and buy climbing/biking/football/lacrosse helmets, mechanics overalls, black work boots, work gloves, Camping backpacks, fishermen's knives, etc.... and look just like a SWAT rat to the uneducated eye for less than $200 bucks.

Kevlar, the material that makes vests bullet resistant, is available anywhere from old tire sidewalls to luggage. The Mythbusters do stories about stuff like this all of the time.

If there is a will there is a way. The Perp in Colorado was a PHD student in Neuro-Science. This guy was almost a doctor not some crazy kid or deranged veteran on a mission. Just another highly intelligent whack job that managed to slip through the system unnoticed.
    Last edited by rgc2005; 21-Jul-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: ranting

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Yeah, cuz anything strange to you is wrong, correct??? And if you wouldn't do it, or if you don't understand why someone else would be into that, then there must be no need for it, right?
    Why WOULD anyone want bulletproof vests and gasmasks? It's not like bullets and contaminated air can kill you!? And only the good guys use those against the bad guys, right!?
    For 1 thing, in case you didn't notice, we're living in crazy times. You never know what's gonna happen. Obviously, as per the subject at hand.
    Another thing, even though you don't think so, there are good reasons for citizens to own vest, helmets, and masks. It's strange to me that you would even entertain the idea that these things should not be available to the public. For 1, they save lives, 2 they don't on their own pose any threat to anyone. You can't kill or hurt someone with a helmet, vest or mask. So it's kind of like you're saying that just in the odd chance that the authorities might need to use lethal force against you, you shouldn't be allowed to own things that can protect you from them.
    There are high profile people like celebrities, politicians, witnesses, and people who feel that at some point their lives could be put in danger so they like the piece of mind that protection from these items gives them. It's not up to other people to decide that that's strange or wrong and should therefore be outlawed. Those types of people are civilians, average Joe's. So if you outlaw those things, how would people who really have a use for them be able to get them? How about Bail Bondsmen, and journalists? They aren't law enforcement or military. So should people then apply to be considered a different class of citizen, so they can posses items that other small minded people don't think they need?
    There's also collectors, who like to own things like that just like others collect rocks, comics, stamps. None of these items pose a threat to people, so what would the problem be? What about violent movies and video games? What possible need could people have for those? A conclusion could be drawn that anyone who enjoys violence on screen is just a nutjob waiting to happen. So why not outlaw it? A compelling case could be made in favor of banning it outright. It could really cut down on the amount of violence that occurs in real life.
    The only thing in favor of allowing it is a little thing called freedom. And what's that even worth? I mean, c'mon, safety is so much more important than freedom.
    we should create a list of approved activities. Ya know, things that pose no threat in any way. Things that aren't strange to anyone, things that could never be used in a crime of any sort. Games of any kind are out! Because someone could get upset they lost, and become violent. Or someone could cheat and get something they didn't earn.
    I really hope you were kidding!!!!

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Roll call. Just checking in. Anybody missing?