UK

The War Z (video game)

Okay, who ordered the bandwagon?!!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/19/th...lels-to-day-z/

Here’s a breakdown of features, taken verbatim from the press release:

Big open worlds to explore between 200 to 400 square kilometers
    Two modes of play: Normal and Hardcore
    Combination of first-person and third-person perspectives
    Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
    Strong Role Playing Elements
    Multiple playable characters with customizable features
    Unique social elements, including bounties, help requests, trap setting, etc.
    Safe settlements where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
    Dozens of unique skills that can be learned and improved
    Up to 250 players per game server
    New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
    Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
    Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
    Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions

From this, I think it’s fair to speculate that The War Z won’t share Day Z’s emphasis on realism and experimentation. Some of its systems seem more in-line with what we’d expect from conventional RPGs or MMOs: a skill system, customizable characters, item selling, and bounty-setting, which I actually love the idea of (my death to Pokerguy33 in Day Z still goes unavenged). Promising larger player capacity than Day Z (although this is something the mod’s creator, Dean “Rocket” Hall, continues to pursue) is also something of a surprise, especially if The War Z will be able to accommodate all of those players in a single instance.

What’s totally unclear is what kind of shooter The War Z could be. The release makes no mention of real-life ballistics modeling or what form its combat mechanics will take, leaving me to imagine it might strive for accessibility.

Great Britain
    Interview on IGN saying that they started making the game last December before DayZ

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/1...val-experience

Super Moderator

United States
    Hell, it's all cashing in on the same upswing that's been going on for years anyway. As long as it's a fun game, I don't care

Fingers crossed.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    It'll be interesting to see where they go with it, I do like the five years in time frame (happens after LAND and before DAY right? ). Perhaps the thing that concerns me most is that it's been in development since last December and yet they're planning on an autumn release date? That's an awfully short dev time for an MMO surely? Hopefully it won't be a rush job just to cash in on DayZ, it does look rather tasty from the screen shots and it would be nice if they get it right.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Thanks for posting this dude - really excited about this
    Don't forget DayZ is still in Alpha - and is a mod, so really it's not even a proper game (yet) - so to get a fully realised version would be awesomes
    Its just one dude and a few hands working on DayZ - apparently Bohemia are holding back on support too...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...o-announced/2/
    http://www.thewarz.com/
    "Retail copies of The War Z will be available for PC, priced at $29.99, according to Titov, which will include regular content updates. There will also be a micropayment-based store, but no subscription fee.

At present, I would file this one under “interesting, but unproven”. The laundry list of features is a little overwhelming, and the background of the team delivering it currently opaque. Quest-driven MMOs are tricky - and they need to fund their ongoing content without making the game so little fun for non-paying players that they drop out before they can be monetizombied.

I mean monetized.

Zombies."

Administrator

England
    Well, if it's Day Z, but done properly ( ie: not a shoe horned in mod) sounds promising!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    even though Day Z is imo, the best zombie game made yet.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    even though Day Z is imo, the best zombie game made yet.
    RE DayZ - From what I've seen the zombies are (a) runners, (b) sort of run/attack oddly?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    LOL they are gammy runners...!

the animation SUCKS...it's sooo alpha. They break into instant sprints, they go to hit you then stand there swiping the air, they run in zig zags, they are rubbish....it's so forgivable though, the actual gameplay and idealogy far exceeds it's actual performance.....

-- -------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I mean to put it this way - it's the only game I've played where you have an actual adventure....like a true adventure in the most honest of ways...in a zombie world....making allegiances, banditry, looting towns, cities, villages, building vehicles...every time you log on, a different zombie adventure ocurrs and it has all the elements of the actual movies, except not scripted....trust, betrayal, assistance, loyalty, desperation for supplies, fortifying buildings/towns, becoming self sufficient (hunting animals for food) - the game scripts nothing, and the player creates the adventure.

I think my friend is bored of it though, so I may be lone wolf from now on...!

UK
    New interview and a few new screenshots to cast your peepers over:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/27/th...tems-ambition/

If this thing has anything like the atmosphere of DayZ, and providing they can deliver on most of their ideas, then it sounds like it should be a nice addition to the zombie gaming universe. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Administrator

England
    ^^ That article has made me more excited!!!
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ That article has made me more excited!!!
    This might too - the website is up with plenty of info and stuff to rummage through. I'm beginning to hope they don't balls this up, it's starting to look seriously interesting...

http://www.thewarz.com/index.html

UK
    Some actual gameplay footage on Gamespy. Looks to be more of an FPS with added survival elements. Still, seems oddly familiar though...

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1225949p1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UwpLOVTjLU

UK
    New 20 minute video with dev commemtary. Seems it's still early days yet, but the world they've built looks pretty nice.

Oh and zombies can only be killed with headshots!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/2...-for-the-war-z