Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia's successful gun ban that the U.S. should follow

Undisclosed

Australia's successful gun ban that the U.S. should follow

After the Port Arthur mass shooting that left 35 dead and 23 wounded, Australia took the brave and correct action of banning all civilian possession of semi-automatic rifles and pump shotguns. It is important that concerned Americans capitalize on the Aurora tragedy and adopt the same common sense and reasonable gun control measures.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    After the Port Arthur mass shooting that left 35 dead and 23 wounded, Australia took the brave and correct action of banning all civilian possession of semi-automatic rifles and pump shotguns. It is important that concerned Americans capitalize on the Aurora tragedy and adopt the same common sense and reasonable gun control measures.

The increased figures are not surprising are they? Law abiding citizens hand their guns in, while some criminals do not. So we now have the lop-sided situation where innocent people are no longer armed, but a large number of criminals most likely are. This large increase isn't suprising too me.

Suspect it'll be ten(s) of years for this to play out though!? We'll only know the true outcome then!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    I am against gun control, sure these crimes are tragic business but lets not forget that both hunting and shooting are legitimate and enjoyable sports. Gun control is just another example of liberal politicians using tragedy to take another bit of fun away from the common man. Im sad australia has taken this measure, its one of the first UK laws id change if i was prime minister and its one thing ive always admired about america. Aslong as you have no criminal record or history of mental illness then i see absolutly no reason why you shouldnt be allowed to own or fire a gun whatsoever.

150 people die from being struck by falling coconuts every year, should we ban them and cut all coconut tree's down?

United States
    Heck, if anything there should be a push for more honest decent folk to get armed up and licensed to carry. Criminals might not be so bold if their victims aren't so... helpless?
    I'd like to see the percentage of licensed gun carriers that commit crimes. I bet it isn't very high compared to the dickheads who would continue to carry them illegally regardless of stricter gun laws. About the only thing I'd be cool with is having to take a course on safety first before being able to buy. Licensed carriers tend to not do stupid schnizz.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    its one of the first UK laws id change if i was prime minister
    You'd liberalise the gun laws in the UK? Wow! We're in the very lucky state of affairs where we do not really have these devices in circulation, and you want to undo this? You want to make it easy for druggies to get hold of them? For angry school kids to get hold of them? For individuals caught in the heat of the moment to get hold of them? For general nutters to get hold of them?

Can you imagine how many Friday night brawls would end in a shooting? Can you imagine how many marital arguments would end in a shooting? Can you imagine how classrooms would get shot up? Can you imaging how many rapes would take place at gun point? Can you imaging how many muggings would take place at gun point? Can you imagine how many burglars would enter gun ready? Can you imagine how many people would die from gun related accidents?

I'm stunned!

Can you not see that most likely throwing these devices, which are aimed at making killing as easy as possible, into general circulation, will allow more people, to kill other people, more easily?

Aslong as you have no criminal record or history of mental illness then i see absolutly no reason why you shouldnt be allowed to own or fire a gun whatsoever.
    Look at the mass shootings that have taken place in the US, or indeed the UK or europe. How many would your careful criteria have stopped. Not many... It only takes someone to go postal once with guns for dozens to die. Better if they don't have the guns to hand when they do.

150 people die from being struck by falling coconuts every year, should we ban them and cut all coconut tree's down?
    If this is a demonstration of the logic within your argument? Not the strongest of points I feel...

using tragedy to take another bit of fun away from the common man.
    I'm afraid that's society for you though isn't it. It's laws passed for the greater good! I'd like to apply my 200 odd hp alot more than I do and drive around at 150mph as much as I can. But strangely society sees this as an unecessary risk, so has introduced speed limits to take some of my fun away. I manage to live with it though.

We're incredibly fortunate in this country to not really have to worry about gun crime... Let's keep it that way. I suspect many Americans will even agree with this for the UK. Of course it won't work in the US, as their culture is very different, and also the genie is already out of the bottle over there. But over here, it's a very different situation and I for one am happy to give up my right to own a gun if it means in doing so the very people I really don't want to have a gun, don't have one.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I agree. Here is an example of the UK implementing a successful "common sense" ban on guns.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Heck, if anything there should be a push for more honest decent folk to get armed up and licensed to carry. Criminals might not be so bold if their victims aren't so... helpless?
    Or alternatively, they'd just shoot you in the back and take your wallet instead.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Or alternatively, they'd just shoot you in the back and take your wallet instead.
    Ok, then I guess a good idea would be to pair up...
    And stay back to back all the time.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I agree. Here is an example of the UK implementing a successful "common sense" ban on guns.

Wow! Talk about an article with an agenda... Almost feels like watching typical mindless Fox News - Where/when is that report from?

When the article started using rhetoric like "without a doubt has failed," you have to question the impartiality of the reporting etc. How do they know the legislation has failed? Where is their evidence? Where is any form of proof of expert opinion, other than a reporter saying it, and an old lady saying she doesn't feel safe at home.

So let's consider the gun crime rates in the UK. Although the trend is upwards, the figures are still minute. The argument that someone needs a gun at home in order to defend themselves is null and void. And if we consider the rise in gun crime say in London, much of it is down to guns being used as 'fashion accessories'. Can you imagine how that trend might look if guns were even more accessible?

So I'll re-iterate. In my life time I expect never to even see a gun out in the 'wild'. And I doubt anyone I know ever will either. I'm so very thankful I live in a country where that is the case. Why allow a device whose primary goal is to kill people as easily as possible into general circulation if you can prevent it?

I fail to see how allowing more guns into the public - at this point in time - can improve matters. If gun crime substantially increases, then maybe we'll reach a time when the public may need their own weapons. But we certainly aren't anywhere near that point, and I do hope we never are.

I'd be fascinated if our US friends don't see the UK's situation as ideal for the UK? Our gun crime is minute and I'd be bemused if they think if dishing out more guns into the public would achieve anything other than to increase those figures.

Note1: The handgun legislation in the UK was brought in on the back of the Dunblane school massacre, where over a dozen kids were shot. If the legislation has stopped one such further event, it's been worth it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

Note2: Our gun crime figures include replica weapons and air rifles. If you look at some of the gun crime stats in the UK, a huge percentage is down to these types of devices. And this ratio has increased. ie: More are down to air rifles. So there's more to the figures - not surprising the above video report didn't go into any detail such as this as it might undermine its agenda.

Note3: None of my opinions on gun legislation in the UK are in anyway aimed at those in the US or Australia who have very different situations.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    You missed my entire point neil, shooting is a fun sport and something id like to do.. i have been shooting a couple of times and enjoyed it but i cant do that becuase our nanny state government says i cant own a gun.

Now what your saying is right in principle and im not arguing that but where it fails is that strict gun control only stops legitimate, sensible and careful gun owners. The type of people you say you want kept away from guns like criminals and druggies still have access becuase theres such a huge black market in the UK. I Knew people in manchester before i moved away that carried guns and could get one at a hours notice.

Im sorry neil but ill never agree with gun control becuase in my view, its pointless. Your taking away from people who want to legally own a registered and tracable gun to use for a recreational sport and your not controlling the rampant black market either, all gun control does is arm the very people who you say you want kept away from guns and take arms away from legitimate users which i might add, in the UK, includes most police officers.

Administrator

England
    You missed my entire point neil, shooting is a fun sport and something id like to do.. i have been shooting a couple of times and enjoyed it but i cant do that becuase our nanny state government says i cant own a gun.
    Confused? "I can't do that" - But you've just said you've been? I've been shooting too. Turned up, armed up, shot... The nanny state government certainly let me shoot.

Now what your saying is right in principle and im not arguing that but where it fails is that strict gun control only stops legitimate, sensible and careful gun owners.
    How do you determine a sensible careful gun owner? Many shootings are carried out by respectable people with clean records. Only takes a moment for a marital dispute to turn nasty and a fit of anger to move a trigger finger. Only takes a moment for an angry school kid to get into dads cabinet and take a hand gun into school. etc etc... For every X guns you put out there, a percentage will be misused. People are not perfect, and can make mistakes, so why help them with a device that makes killing as easy as possible?

I'm sure Derrick Bird fitted this criteria, hence him being allowed to own the guns that killed a dozen people.

The type of people you say you want kept away from guns like criminals and druggies still have access becuase theres such a huge black market in the UK.
    Yes, they have access to them, but it's not easy. Your average druggy would have to go to some lengths to get hold of one. And certainly people in a fit of anger won't go through all the hoops to get one... but if there was a gun in the house?

I Knew people in manchester before i moved away that carried guns and could get one at a hours notice.
    And if more guns were available the numbers of such people would increase, and the time decrease.

Im sorry neil but ill never agree with gun control becuase in my view, its pointless. Your taking away from people who want to legally own a registered and tracable gun to use for a recreational sport and your not controlling the rampant black market either, all gun control does is arm the very people who you say you want kept away from guns and take arms away from legitimate users which i might add, in the UK, includes most police officers.
    Simply don't agree... I'd fear if guns became more freely available, (a) more will get used for the wrong reasons - eg: ending an argument, (b) it will introduce an arms race - the more innocent people have a gun, the more likely criminals will be to carry one.

Anyway, I'm a little unclear as to what your issue is? Handgun not in circulation? Or the existing legislation on shotgun/rifles?
    -Carl Sagan

England

Now what your saying is right in principle and im not arguing that but where it fails is that strict gun control only stops legitimate, sensible and careful gun owners. The type of people you say you want kept away from guns like criminals and druggies still have access becuase theres such a huge black market in the UK. I Knew people in manchester before i moved away that carried guns and could get one at a hours notice.

You can own a gun, you can perfectly legally own shotguns, hunting rifles, air rifles, CO2 rifles, crossbows etc in the UK, you just need to get a form from the police, fill it in, have the background checks, provide a good reason for wanting the guns (sport or pest control mainly) and prove that you can keep them in a secure manner, get character references and signatures from responsible people who have known you for more than 5 years and the guns are yours! The police will come to check on your storage/security once or twice a year and you have to renew your license every so many years, but thats it. The gun control in the UK isnt as strict as people seem to make out, but it does apply common sense and despite one or two nutjobs slipping through the net (Derrick Bird for one), it seems to work pretty well. I'm not anti gun by any means but I'm all for gun control in this manner. Fair enough it doesnt stop the criminals getting illegal guns, but thats no reason to arm the entire population in my opinion.

Administrator

England
    ^^ What he said!

I can't believe anyone would want to unbottle the genie in the UK. We're in a very lucky position at the moment!
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    Shooting is awesome! If I was suddenly unable to go shooting, I would miss it terribly!
    Are there shooting ranges in the UK that you can go to and buy a few boxes of rounds to shoot at paper targets?

I'm very pro-gun and anti-gun control, but I can see where you're coming from Neil with the genie in the bottle thing. I understand the logic behind the idea of less guns=less gun related deaths, i'm not daft or ignorant to your logic. I just can't imagine what it's like to grow up and live a gun free lifestyle. I'm from rural IL, so guns are a central theme. When I was a kid you'd see alot of people with pickup trucks with gun racks in the rear window, Red Dawn style.
    And it seems like after the CO massacre, everywhere around the web all I see are people from outside the US preaching to people from the US about giving up guns, and how bad guns are and how terrible people are for opposing a gun ban. But from my perspective, I don't know anyone who's ever been the victim of gun crime, or anyone who's ever been killed by a gun except a friend who died in Iraq and I know "of" a kid that shot himself in the foot hunting years and years ago.
    So it seems like the concerns and general opinions on guns from others seem so far removed from my own experiences with them. And I think if more people had experience with guns in a responsible way that the opinion of them as "mass death machines" would change. It seems like people who have no or limited exposure to guns regard them in a very fearful way. Which is no way to view anything, IMO.

Anyway, I'm not here to debate gun control. Just wanted to throw that out there...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i won't belabor the point about how sickening i find some of you but in this knee jerk, bleeding heart, whine from the navel world we live in we have forgotten that it is the darkness in the human heart that should worry us and not machines. they are inanimate, completely neutral, have no feelings, no thoughts, and cannot make decisions.

for me the big question is: Why do people do these sorts of things in the first place? it isn't the means used. that is irrelevant completely. it can be a gun, fertilizer used as a bomb (several hundred people were killed in OK City, a large number of them children and no one wanted to ban fertilizer afterwards) , a car being driven through a crowd, Sarin gas, knives, swords, or anything that can be used as a weapon.

it boils down to this simple and inescapable fact: you cannot stop a single determined person from doing harm to a large number of people if they take a notion too. there are simply too many ways to go about it.

some of you really seem to live in a fantasy land. i hope you enjoy it there and i really hope the real world never intrudes on your peaceful paradise, because if it does, you will know horror and madness and then you will die.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."