Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A prequel to "The Shining"?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i did take that from wikipedia, so there is about a 55% chance that 65% of it is bullshit.
    Thanks for clarifying. Even that being said, I'm not so sure about this. Sometimes things are just better off left the hell alone. This might be one of those cases.

i will admit that i haven't read much of his new work 'cause it seems like he's just rehasing old ideas or recycling other peoples.
    I don't know, after Lisey's Story, I felt he kinda lost his way, but recently, Just After Sunset had some decent stories in it ("A Very Tight Place" being the highlight for me), as well as Under The Dome was pretty awesome in an almost "The Stand" kind of way. It was long, but a great cast of people (unfortunately, the ending was kinda "meh" to say the least, but any SK fan knows the endings aren't what to look forward to).

I have to admit, though, I have not read Duma Key. I'd like to, but I don't have time for a novel that big right now. I'll get to it eventually. I mean, "everything's eventual" right?

for example: "kingdom hospital." stick with the Danish original "Riget", it's much better and werid in ways that only lars von trier can pull off.
    Oh dear jesus, I am one of the biggest SK fans on the planet, but that Kingdom Hospital thing was one of the biggest pieces of shit ever put on television, period.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

Oh dear jesus, I am one of the biggest SK fans on the planet, but that Kingdom Hospital thing was one of the biggest pieces of shit ever put on television, period.
    the original is quite interesting and like i said, weird as fook.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Strange. I never felt the supernatural tone of Kubrick's film was vague. Danny 'shines', the hotel 'frees' Jack Nicholson's character from that food storage etc ... No rational explanation in those parts of the film ... It still creeps me out.

I'm with you here. Plus the whole bit with photograph at the end (with that music playing, with the camera creeping through the empty hotel) - man alive, that's some chilling imagery right there.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Aug-2012 at 07:03 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    the hotel 'frees' Jack Nicholson's character from that food storage etc ... No rational explanation in those parts of the film ... It still creeps me out.
    The hotel does a lot more things that now creep me out thanks to what Danny pointed out in a thread a while back: http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...hlight=shining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUIxXCCFWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfJ8rK7eJeQ

I haven't been able to see the film the same ever since. Some of them seem as though they could be goofs, but most of it seems intentional.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Aug-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Meh. I'm not "gaga" over Kubrick's version, but I do like it. Is the book better? Yes. But maybe not by a whole lot for me.

I too never found the supernatural elements in the film version "vague". It seems pretty obvious too me.

Sure he doesn't really overstate how "evil" the Overlook is, but that's really more of a limitation of the medium (film) than of the director "not getting it" IMO. A lot of how King fleshes out the true nature of the hotel is through back story, exposition, etc. Elements that don't always translate well to film.

And as for "Dr. Sleep": that sounds terrible. But I haven't read much King for awhile now.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 08-Aug-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: meh

Super Moderator

UK
    Excellent finds Danny, and thanks for reposting Bassman (I never saw the original thread).

Like you, I'll never be able to see The Shining the same way again - but in this instance, it might not necessarily be a bad thing. The Overlook Hotel always had a strange sense to it - and clearly this is part of the reason why - but I think, for me at least, Kubrick's hypnotically controlled style managed to hide these intentional set design choices from my conscious mind. Subconsciously I've spotted them, and have become disorientated by them, but consciously I'm focused on the dialogue, the characters, and the general style and feel of the film.

Fascinating stuff!

Undisclosed
    Those Youtube vids are fascinating indeed! Given what a total control freak Kubrick was most of this must be intentional. I once went to an exhibition on the director that ran as a part of the Ghent filmfestival and saw some of his notes on the shining, some storyboards as well. He planned out every movie he did in great detail ...

Also:I'm with Mike on this: Von Trier's Riget is really, really good. It also has some quirky humour long lost in recent Von Trier offerings but at the same time can be very frightening and tense. Great stuff!
    Last edited by krisvds; 09-Aug-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Strangely, Kubrick's 'The Shining' has grown on me over the years, while King's work has faded. I've always sort of thought of him as a better short story writer anyway. His collections are now the only stuff that I can get through these days and his new work has been getting generally bad press.

Although, I remember seeing 'The Shining' as a kid and was left in a wonder at why exactly everyone was mad about it. It's certainly one of those films that gets better with repeated viewings.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The hotel does a lot more things that now creep me out thanks to what Danny pointed out in a thread a while back: http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...hlight=shining

MIND=BLOWN

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

MIND=BLOWN

Yeah....that's how I felt when I first saw those videos. And as MZ pointed out, Kubrick always paid serious attention to detail, so it almost certainly has to be intended. An extra layer of awesomeness to an already awesome movie, imo.

United States
    Holy shit, man - I used to think Kubrick was just a mental case but now I've found a whole new layer of genius to the man. I had no idea he was putting that kind of detail into his flicks.

I sat down and watched this last night and I could not believe what I was seeing. There is no way all of that was not done intentionally. Like you said, there's one or two things that might have been "oops" moments, but overall, that had to be completely intentional and I can't believe I've been watching that film for over 30 years and never noticed ANY of this.

My mind is indeed freakin' blown.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 10-Aug-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Holy shit, man - I used to think Kubrick was just a mental case but now I've found a whole new layer of genius to the man. I had no idea he was putting that kind of detail into his flicks.

I sat down and watched this last night and I could not believe what I was seeing. There is no way all of that was not done intentionally. Like you said, there's one or two things that might have been "oops" moments, but overall, that had to be completely intentional and I can't believe I've been watching that film for over 30 years and never noticed ANY of this.

My mind is indeed freakin' blown.
    I think that video has been blowing minds from here to Timbuktu, Lou.

I do recall thinking once or twice, that when Danny enters room 237 (217 in the book), and we see how far it extends, "what about the space for the rooms next door?" but quickly didn't think too much of it consciously (even I'd been subconsciously twigging on to these deliberate set design quirks) as the film continued with it's strange and unsettled creepiness. Going to have to give it another spin.

This just sprang to mind, something disconnected, but here in the UK, TCM frequently show the movie (as do other channels), but TCM cut this really cool advert together for the film to a Radiohead song, but I can't remember which one (one of their most recognisable tracks, because I knew who it was even though I don't listen to Radiohead) ... anyway, it was a really cool advert and that song mixed well with the footage that they showed which focused more on the calm before the storm, rather than, IIRC, showing off all the best shocks. Any fellow Brits know of the advertisement on TCM that I'm talking about?

I'd really like to see the 23 minutes (or however much it is) that is in the US version, but not the international version. They have showed it on Sky Movies at least once, but they almost always show our version rather than the extended version. I'd love to see that footage (which wasn't even included on our home video releases as deleted scenes or anything like that).

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think that video has been blowing minds from here to Timbuktu, Lou.
    Well, that was the ultimate mindfuck for me, 'cause I never noticed any of that shit going on over the past 30 years of viewing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    I'd really like to see the 23 minutes (or however much it is) that is in the US version, but not the international version.
    I was wondering about that when the guy narrating said he got a hold of the US version with "23 more minutes" - wtf could they have possibly cut out in the UK version? and 23 minutes? Of what?!?!

That one had me scratching my head.

Super Moderator

UK
    I was wondering about that when the guy narrating said he got a hold of the US version with "23 more minutes" - wtf could they have possibly cut out in the UK version? and 23 minutes? Of what?!?!

That one had me scratching my head.
    You sought answers, and ye shall receive them...

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1215

The bulk seems to be early on (before they get to the hotel, then being introduced to the hotel), but there are numerous scenes throughout. Some connecting tissue (like with Hallorann on the plane, then getting the snowcat) ... however there seem to be some scenes I wish had been in our version of the flick (e.g. Wendy's vision of the skeletons), but also some other little moments (like Jack speaking about his feelings for the hotel, culminating in a little joke - which would have provided, for we international folks, a little more of a glimpse into the nice side of the Torrence family life).

By the way, Movie-Censorship.com is an excellent website for comparing the different cuts of movies - full details, timecodes, and pictorial representations.

Now, having read the differences, I'd like to know what you think of that Lou - and indeed any of our American chums - what do you make of the scenes that were cut out for international audiences? Anything that you'd not miss, anything that you would really miss, and anything that you think should never have been removed from the flick at all?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-Aug-2012 at 06:53 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The bulk seems to be early on (before they get to the hotel, then being introduced to the hotel), but there are numerous scenes throughout. Some connecting tissue (like with Hallorann on the plane, then getting the snowcat) ... however there seem to be some scenes I wish had been in our version of the flick (e.g. Wendy's vision of the skeletons), but also some other little moments (like Jack speaking about his feelings for the hotel, culminating in a little joke - which would have provided, for we international folks, a little more of a glimpse into the nice side of the Torrence family life).
    It makes no sense to me whatsoever that any of this was cut out for the UK version.

I'll take a peek at that website (thanks for that!) and see exactly the parts cut and get back to your question.