Thread: Night of the Living Dead Washington DC Shooting Location

United States

Night of the Living Dead Washington DC Shooting Location

I am visiting Washington DC for the first time in my life next week. I can not make out the street sign in the scene where GAR is doing the interview in DC on the TV broadcast. Does anyone know exactly where that is? It looks like it is only a block or so from the capital. I would like to go to the exact spot, if possible.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm using a crummy youtube version of the movie and google, but it looks like like they start at this building: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=capito...168.88,,0,0.82

Then walk toward the capital(pan right on google). It's changed quite a bit but I think that's it. Could be wrong...

If this turns out to be correct(which I think it is) , one of the mods should add it to the stickied locations thread.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Aug-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    So is that location used in the film?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So is that location used in the film?
    I believe it is, but hopefully someone else can confirm. If you watch the news broadcast, Romero and the rest start walking at the building in the link above, cross the street toward the Capitol, then get into the car. The street to the Capitol is no longer available for travel, but judging by the building where they start, i'm about 90% sure that's it. Could very well be wrong, though. I'll see if I can get some good screen grabs to confirm.

-- -------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Yeah, that's the right location.

Notice the building in the background of this screen grab:

Then here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=capito...,,1,-7.24&z=18

So the intersection they cross is 1st Street and East Capitol Street: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1st+st...bia+20004&z=18
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Aug-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Yep, that sure looks like the building to me. Thanks bass!

It appears that the building in question is in fact the Library of Congress.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 19-Aug-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: because I love editing!!!!!

Undisclosed
    Be careful if you are going to take pictures or video re-enacting that scene from NOTLD. DHS has whipped the security weenies into so much paranioa that they have harassed and even arrested people for merely taking pictures of federal buildings.

Administrator

England
    Added to the sticky thread... Thanks!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    Be careful if you are going to take pictures or video re-enacting that scene from NOTLD. DHS has whipped the security weenies into so much paranioa that they have harassed and even arrested people for merely taking pictures of federal buildings.
    Dam, I guess I will have to fire my film crew and try to get my deposit back on the limo with little flags in the front...