Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Scott commits suicide?

Administrator

England

Tony Scott commits suicide?

The Top Gun director jumped from a bridge...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19314967

The Los Angeles County Coroner's office said Scott's death was being investigated as a suicide.

British-born Scott, brother of Alien director Ridley, shot to fame in the 1980s with a string of action films.

The 68-year-old's films included Crimson Tide, Days of Thunder and True Romance.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement.

The coroner said Scott jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge, which spans San Pedro and Terminal Island in Los Angeles.

Lt Joe Bale, from the coroner's office, said the director was seen parking his car and jumping into the water at about 12:30 (19:30 GMT) on Sunday.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bummer, I was just reading about it this morning. I have always respected Tony Scott. I liked his visual style. As Ron Howard put it... "Sad day, no more Tony Scott films"

agreed Ron, agreed.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    I believe Top Gun 2 is possibly going to happen, with rumours Cruise is out on an air force base researching or something!? Guess Scott won't be around to direct unfortunately!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    That's intense. Such desperate times.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I believe Top Gun 2 is possibly going to happen
    Now I want to hop off a bridge.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What a shame. True Romance is probably my favorite film of his. His late 80's/early 90's run with Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, Days of Thunder, and The Last Boyscout were also great.

Didn't much care for his recent, more "flashy" style edited films like Domino and Man on Fire. Decent films, but the visuals were a bit over the top.
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Aug-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    True Romance is probably my favorite film of his.
    Good point, Bass. True Romance is always worth an honorable mention!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They're saying he had inoperable brain cancer. Maybe he decided to end it himself before suffering?

Super Moderator

UK
    True Romance is indeed an excellent flick, but regarding some of his more recent work, I was very impressed with Unstoppable. You'd think there's not much tension and action to be wrung out of a runaway train, but it was really rather good. Watched it with my Dad and we both really dug it. A streamlined action flick that keeps up the pace and is pleasingly full of tension.

United States
    I'd guess Tony Scott was aware of the pending US inheritance tax rate increase from 35% in 2012 to 55% in 2013.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    [QUOTE=bassman;288079]What a shame. True Romance is probably my favorite film of his. His late 80's/early 90's run with Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, Days of Thunder, and The Last Boyscout were also great.

I like you Bassman, always have, always will.

They're saying he had inoperable brain cancer. Maybe he decided to end it himself before suffering?

If the cancer thing was true, that could be it. Seems like a hell of a way to go though. I think I'd rather wash down a bottle of oxycotton w/ a bottle of Jack, or be humped to death by a 500 pound whore or something than jump off a bridge...
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 20-Aug-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: You're so cool...

United States
    A bridge? Yikes!
    Yeah, I could think of wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better ways.
    Smothered by dead hookers and blow perhaps? Just sayin'...

Super Moderator

UK
    I read that a tourist boat was passing by at the time and they saw the whole thing - no hesitation in jumping, he landed near the boat etc. Blimey - that's a hell of a thing to see on a boat tour!

Administrator

England
    Do you think you have to 'try' to kill yourself with such a jump? ie: I suspect your natural reaction is to land feet first, which surely gives you a chance of survival? But of you go down flat, the impact would knock you out at least for sure?

-- -------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/20/tony-s...-cancer-tumor/

Tony Scott did NOT have inoperable brain cancer, or for that matter brain cancer at all according to Scott's family.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I suppose it's the force of hitting the water. Look at the diving finals in the Olympics - one of the divers really hurt his shoulder from just hitting at the wrong angle from a (relative to that bridge) rather low height. So if you jump off something that high, it's highly likely it'll kill you as it's akin to hitting a wall in a way.

Very sad thing indeed with the discovery of the inoperable brain cancer. I wonder how long he had left. Poor Ridley too - another brother lost - and indeed Tony Scott's family and young sons (only twelve).

*EDIT*

Apparently the "inoperable brain cancer" thing might be a false rumour:
    http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/clues-sou...002157976.html
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Aug-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *EDIT*

Apparently the "inoperable brain cancer" thing might be a false rumour:
    http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/clues-sou...002157976.html
    Look the post of mine you replied too
    -Carl Sagan