Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Season 3 Various News Discussion Thread (Interviews, Trailers, etc)

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    My wife has been looking at the trailers and been reading everything about season 3 and she said something to me which i've been thinking about. She said "Do you think the Governor did the right thing by protecting woodbury but went about it in a fucked up kind of way?"

What do you think?

If we assume seeking security for his people and community was his ultimate goal, then there is an argument for it, but the means were, well...inexcusable. Good reasons grow on trees, but it's the way people go about fulfilling their ends that speaks to their character. I did like the character in the comic, as in I found him compelling. It was clear he did believe in not only his leadership ability, but the inherent power of a well led group. His last few dialogue bubbles are very telling in this regard.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Q&A with TWD cinematographer Ron Schmidt:

http://dailydead.com/the-walking-dea...-rohn-schmidt/

Q: There are two main set-pieces this season: the prison and Woodbury. Which most excites you as a cinematographer?

A: I guess you could say the prison. As a cinematographer and just by nature, it means you’ve got very strong graphics there. Last year, we had Randall tied up in the shed, and it was just this very sharp, angular, graphic, black-and-white lighting, and I kind of saw what the prison was going to look like, so I was looking forward to it.

Q: Do you have any visual tricks for distinguishing the two locations?

A: Yes. I tried to create a contrast between the town of Woodbury, which is kind of like a fantasy world with a dark undercurrent to it. It’s kind of a little bit too pretty, so we’ve been using lower film stock to have less grain and look less gritty and raw. Then when we’re doing the final color for it, we’re adding a little bit more flesh to the skin-tones of the actors… And then that contrasts with the prison world, which is very monochromatic, and it’s still just a little dark and scary there. And the actor’s faces are a little less colorful.

Q: Most of Season 2 was shot on location and outdoors. What’s it like to finally be on a sound stage sometimes?

A: I love being on location. There’s a great kind of energy, and realism and there’s this authenticity there. That’s what I really try to recreate on the sound stage is to just find ways to make things a little bit reckless, to do things that are not so perfect because it feels more real… I might flare the lens or have it a little bit too light or a little bit too dark. But, I have to say, a couple times we’ve been rained out of our exterior locations and now we have a place to go to instead of just shutting down for the day. Or even if it’s just too hot, it’s nice to just have a little relief in the air conditioning.

Q: The barn-burning in the Season 2 Finale seems like it would be a cinematographer’s dream. What was it like to shoot that scene?

A: Fire is always so dramatic and fun to shoot. It’s tricky, it’s dark, and it depends on how you expose it, it can look kind of white and not really threatening, and we certainly wanted a rich, red golden fire there. The way you achieve that on film is you have a very deep stock. It takes a lot of exposure. The scene looks as dark and in shadow as anything, but there’s probably three times more light there. You’d walk up and think, “Oh my gosh, that is absolutely ridiculously bright,” and by the time we exposed it correctly, it came out just right.

Q: This season, we know the walkers are continuing to travel more in herds. Does this change how you shoot them as well?

A: Absolutely… It’s kind of interesting now where they’re becoming kind routine. Like swatting flies almost. Yes, they’re dangerous, but the characters are used to them, they know how to deal with the zombies. It’s more like a chore for them, and we shoot it like that sometimes too. Let’s hack this one, machete this one, and away we go.

Q: What’s the number one photography trick that gives The Walking Dead its creepy, cinematic feel?

A: We try not to be too gimmicky with the photography, and that includes the lighting and the framing of the cameras. By grounding it in familiarity and a reality, then it gets scary because it’s not too pretend. And that said, here’s the contradiction: it is based on a graphic novel, which has really fantastic art in there. So in almost every episode, and hopefully in each scene, I do like to indulge in what I call graphic novel shots — so something that’s a little extreme, the camera’s got a very wide lens or very high light or very low light. We try to use that as a spice, rather than a main dish.

Q: Would you rather be stuck in a prison with walkers or inmates?

A: I think the inmates. I’m very much a man of reason, so I’d rather have someone I could maybe talk with and negotiate with.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm putting this little scoop in spoilers. Comic fans will know this event is coming, but tv-only fans probably won't want to see it.

Looks like Rick is returning home sooner in the TV show than he did in the comic....

Also notice the grey jeep in the background of this pic....

If you recall, this is the jeep Morgan and Duane drove off in 101. Although there's no pics, some reliable sources on another forum have confirmed seeing Lennie James(Morgan) on set. So it looks like Morgan and Duane could very well be back this season.

And the large wooden thing in this picture is reportedly a zombie "trap".

Credit for these photos goes to Daniel Day on TWD Forums.
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Sep-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm putting this little scoop in spoilers. Comic fans will know this event is coming, but tv-only fans probably won't want to see it.

Looks like Rick is returning home sooner in the TV show than he did in the comic....

Also notice the grey jeep in the background of this pic....

If you recall, this is the jeep Morgan and Duane drove off in 101. Although there's no pics, some reliable sources on another forum have confirmed seeing Lennie James(Morgan) on set. So it looks like Morgan and Duane could very well be back this season.

And the large wooden thing in this picture is reportedly a zombie "trap".

Credit for these photos goes to Daniel Day on TWD Forums.
    Nice! Hpotd's greatest detective strikes again!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Super sexy swinging news there bassman - with some tantalising images too.

I was wondering if they'd go into that territory - and if these rumours are true - I'm very pleased.

Super Moderator

UK
    Brief descriptions have been released for episodes one and two - there's nothing spoilery in there so have a gander, if you wish, below, or if you want to go in totally fresh then don't look:

Episode 301 – “SEED”
    With the world growing increasingly more dangerous and Lori’s pregnancy advancing, Rick discovers a potentially safe haven. But first he must secure the premises, pushing his group to its limit.
    Written by: Glen Mazzara
    Directed by: Ernest Dickerson

Episode 302 – “SICK”
    After a traumatic event, a life hangs in the balance. Complicating matters, the group must also deal with a potential threat to their new surroundings.
    Written by: Nichole Beattie
    Directed by: Billy Gierhart

http://dailydead.com/the-walking-dea...sodes-1-and-2/

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just a prediction for "sick"...

Someone gets bit and a limb has to be removed. Likely Hershel or Beth.

Super Moderator

UK
    ^^^

I was thinking the same thing ... not necessarily in terms of who the title pertains to, but certainly the plot point.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not sure if these have already been posted, but here are the episode titles airing in 2012:

Episode 1 – “Seed”
    Episode 2 – “Sick”
    Episode 3 – “Walk with Me”
    Episode 4 – “Killer Within”
    Episode 5 – “Say the Word”
    Episode 6 – “Hounded”
    Episode 7 – “When the Dead Come Knocking”
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Sep-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Not sure if these have already been posted, but here are the episode titles airing in 2012:
    After reading those titles, I may need to break out the boner pants a little earlier this year. All the possibilities that pop into my mind when I see each one, what they might mean.

Also, can anyone believe how fast it seems that they're already into the third season soon? I know that each break in episodes is painfully slowwwwwwww, but it still seems weird to me, if that makes any sense. For all its little occasional faults, I would be a truly sad panda if/when the show ended. I'm also ready for some webisodes, when are they coming?

Super Moderator

UK
    Some sweet-sounding titles there - but what about 3x08? Maybe they're keeping that title under lock-and-key for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    After reading those titles, I may need to break out the boner pants a little earlier this year. All the possibilities that pop into my mind when I see each one, what they might mean.

Also, can anyone believe how fast it seems that they're already into the third season soon? I know that each break in episodes is painfully slowwwwwwww, but it still seems weird to me, if that makes any sense. For all its little occasional faults, I would be a truly sad panda if/when the show ended. I'm also ready for some webisodes, when are they coming?
    I know what you mean. Seems hardly any time since season one aired and there was a torrent of "OMFG WE HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR FOR SEASON TWO?!" spewing forth on the forum. I guess time flies when you're having fun. I'm really amped for season three, we should really be getting into the nitty gritty of the Walking Dead world now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The LA times posted a photo of a call sheet that says Lew Temple(The Devil's Rejects, Halloween) is playing Axel...

"You follow me?"
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Sep-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    The LA times posted a photo of a call sheet that says Lew Temple(The Devil's Rejects, Halloween) is playing Axel...

"You follow me?"
    Interesting. Another shift visually for a TWD character there as Axel was quite big and burly. I wonder if he'll have a great big shock of hair and that massive beard?

Axel was definitely one of my favourite characters introduced in the prison arc. He's a laid back kind of dude who is also quite practical.

England

"You follow me?"
    Awesome. I love this character.

"You follow me? +1
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    It'll be interesting to see what Lew Temple does with the character. Can't wait to hear "You follow me?" for the first time.

Also - some behind the scenes pictures from filming the first episode: