Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Season 3 Various News Discussion Thread (Interviews, Trailers, etc)

Super Moderator

UK

Season 3 Various News Discussion Thread (Interviews, Trailers, etc)

I figured we should have a dedicated thread to gather together all the general season 3 talk and news - first up, this:

http://dailydead.com/dallas-roberts-...dead-season-3/

Dallas Roberts joins season 3 cast as "Milton":

Half of the 16-episode third season of The Walking Dead has already filmed, so we’re surprised that new casting announcements have remained a mystery for so long. We expect plenty of new actors to join the cast, but we can now tell you at least one person who you’ll see in the town of Woodbury.

Dallas Roberts (Rubicon, The Grey) is playing a brand new character named Milton. According to EW, he’s a resident of Woodbury and they have some additional details on the character from Robert Kirkman:

“Milton is the details guy… He’s the guy that works with the Governor, who is monitoring all situations and is trying to help the Governor make sense of this world that they’re living in. He’s not exactly a scientist, but he’s a smart guy that is trying to find out how zombies behave. Watching him do his little experiments is going to be a lot of fun.”

Glen Mazzara also talked about how the character adds heart and humanity to Woodbury: “We were examining, ‘How do people survive in this apocalyptic world, and what can people contribute?’… And we didn’t think it was plausible that every single character we meet is an efficient zombie killer. We just didn’t buy that everyone we know would be active and deft enough to kill every walker. We wanted to show how other people survive, and Dallas has come in and helped us establish that character. He just adds a lot of heart and humanity to Woodbury, which further complicates what that is. That is a real town with real people and real survivors. It’s not necessarily a group of bad guys.”

Don’t worry if you read the comics and can’t place Milton, because he’s an original character created just for the TV series. The photo used above is an actual still of Milton from The Walking Dead Season 3, so we now know what he’ll look like as well.
    Sounds pretty spiffing to me. I dig what Mazzara is selling here - it does indeed make sense that not everyone is going to be an effective killing machine. What about the smart folks who aren't much for athletics, survivalism, and/or walker wasting? Sounds like this could be a very interesting new addition to the show.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Nov-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Any word on the schedule for UK airings of season 3? I assume it'll be a similar delay between the US and UK airings, but it's nice to hope. Nothing worse than that delay and the automatic increase in the possibility of spoilers slipping out for members.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Any word on the schedule for UK airings of season 3? I assume it'll be a similar delay between the US and UK airings, but it's nice to hope. Nothing worse than that delay and the automatic increase in the possibility of spoilers slipping out for members.
    No word yet, but I'd assume it'll be the same Sunday-in-America-on-AMC, following-Friday-in-the-UK-on-FX situation. It'd be cool if we could have it the night-after it airs in the US, but Mondays aren't all that big a night for TV in some respects. Friday is often considered one of the big days for TV, plus there's no work the following day for office jockeys etc, folks have that "Friday feeling" and all that stuff ... so it'll probably be Fridays again for us Brits.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I really liked that guy in 3:10 to Yuma, so i'm looking forward to him joining the cast.

Undisclosed
    I hope Mazzara isn't lying when stating that they are trying to set up Woodsbury as more than a group of 'evil' people. It's the moral ambiguity that is one of the great strenghts in this show.
    That and the zombies.

Super Moderator

UK
    Here's a new Q&A with Mazzara:

http://dailydead.com/the-walking-dea...-glen-mazzara/

Via AMC- Q: What new tricks have you come up with this year to scare the be-jeezus out of us?

A: The show is very adrenalized in Season 3… All these horrible things are being thrown at our characters at such a relentless pace that the audience won’t be able to catch their breath and figure out what’s going on. So I think it’s just the idea that you are immersed in this apocalypse, and there really is no escape.

Q: In the Season 2 Finale, you established the “Ricktatorship.” Now that you’ve plotted out Season 3, how would you characterize Rick’s reign?

A: Rick’s reign is initially successful in the fact that they do discover this prison and that proves at first that Rick was right that there’s a place out there that perhaps they can be safe. The question becomes how far can he push the group? What is the breaking point? And Rick will certainly have to deal with how far can he push himself and what is his breaking point.

Q: Do you also think of your new locations, the prison and Woodbury, as characters?

A: Without a doubt. Woodbury and the prison have always been conceived as characters. And believe it or not they have arcs. Just yesterday the writers and I sat down and came up with this big sort of plot twist for both that occurs in the middle of the season.

Q: What’s it like to write for a character like The Governor? Do you see him as a clear-cut villain, or can you find his humanity?

A: Part of the attraction of The Walking Dead for our fans is that it feels real, and that means that The Governor has to feel real. He needs to be a person who has a real soul and has a depth and intelligence, and he’s not just a cardboard arch-villain who’s going to play as a foil to our characters. I think David Morrissey is doing a phenomenal job finding the humanity in that character and by having that humanity so prevalent when he commits atrocious acts, I think they’ll be that much more horrifying.

Q: Now that we know Michonne and The Governor are making an appearance, is there any other character from the comic you’re excited about introducing next?

A: There are a lot of fantastic characters throughout Robert Kirkman’s book that we’re dying to bring to life. Some will be introduced in this season and some will be introduced in later seasons. It’s our intention to bring all those major characters to life.

-- -------- Post added 05-Sep-2012 at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-Sep-2012 at 05:58 PM ----------

Here's a spiffing new poster:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Must. Have.

Undisclosed
    What a great image!

Still: don't shoot that gun Rick! You'll just draw them towards us ....

Super Moderator

UK
    It's a pretty spiffing image, isn't it?

I liked the one for season two, but this one definitely trumps it - it's all about promising arse-kicking to come.

Super Moderator

United States
    Iconic and badass!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Am I the only one that gets excited like a little kid when reading the "Fight the dead, fear the living" tagline? A perfect tagline for what's to come and what I've been waiting on since day one.

I think in most comic fans' eyes this is where the story of TWD truly settles into it's groove.
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Sep-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Am I the only one that gets excited like a little kid when reading the "Fight the dead, fear the living" tagline? A perfect tagline for what's to come and what I've been waiting on since day one.

I think in most comic fans' eyes this is where the story of TWD truly settles into it's groove.
    Aye, I'm with you on that bassman - I think TWD has got into it's groove as a show now, as evidenced by the back-six of season 2, but in terms of TWD generally, I'm sure season 3 will really be where the iconic TWD content finally comes to the fore, where the show becomes what we know the comics to be. Of course, even the comics had to have a couple of set-up volumes before it-too hit its stride with volume 3 and the prison arc.

Exciting tidbits dribbling in from the makers too - they intend to include all the iconic characters at some point (so we could very well see Tyreese come in at some point then - I just imagine that they're hanging back on some of them until the current cast has been whittled down a smidge, particularly as we're getting new characters off-the-bat), and Mazzara speaking of the relentless pace sounds great. I still can't understand why TWD got the reputation as being "the slow show" ... I absolutely adore Mad Men, but that's really more 'the slow show' as it's all about the intricacies of the characters interacting. You don't have car crashes, headshots, zombies goring people, herds, and so on in Mad Men, and heck, even Breaking Bad has some slow episodes and a generally 'slower' pace to it ... I never understood that criticism being levelled at TWD at all. Sometime you wonder what on earth some TWD fans are thinking, but then again, when bloody old what's-his-name who had invested 14 hours of his precious life into the show count themselves as 'fans' of the show, then it's hardly surprising some of these non-sensical criticisms crop up.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I still can't understand why TWD got the reputation as being "the slow show" ...
    To be fair, I feel the show has had some pacing issues in season 1 and definitely the first half of season 2. Of course, now I'm hoping they don't go too far in the other direction for season 3, but I'm sure it's a hell of a balancing act when looking at a season and contrasting episode plots to larger story arcs (let's hope they pay attention to this).

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    To be fair, I feel the show has had some pacing in season 1 and definitely the first half of season 2. Of course, now I'm hoping they don't go too far in the other direction for season 3, but I'm sure it's a hell of a balancing act when looking at a season and contrasting episode plots to larger story arcs (let's hope they pay attention to this).
    Yeah, some pacing issues here and there (although season one was so brief that there isn't much room for pacing issues, I think it was just - for me anyway - 1x04 "Vatos", that proved a bit on the slower side, but only for part of it) ... the front-seven of season two, sure, a few softer patches dotted around, but - in my view at least - nothing to truly warrant "the slow show" moniker from prats like thingymy-from-that-band.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    My wife has been looking at the trailers and been reading everything about season 3 and she said something to me which i've been thinking about. She said "Do you think the Governor did the right thing by protecting woodbury but went about it in a fucked up kind of way?"

What do you think?