Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Extremely amateur photography

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    That's funny, I was in North Berwick a few weeks ago. Love your pics. I actually took a fancy-ass long exposure pic of that same island. The details came out kinda soft (probably due to me setting the exposure a bit too high; more time to pick up tiny vibrations of the wind on the tripod, fractionally blurring the image), but I love the smoky water effect.

This one was inland a little bit, just on the other side of North Berwick Law, as we began climbing it:

A couple of nice shots from Cramond, on the other side of Edinburgh from North Berwick. They have a causeway that connects it to Cramond Island at low tide, me and my mate David went at one of the lowest tides of the year, revealing miles of beautiful, deadly mud-flats:

Love the pics kraken.

North Berwick's a great place, isn't it?

The island in question is Craigleith (the other island in another shot that I posted earlier in the thread was The Bass Rock - we went on a boat tour around that, in the rough waters, when I was a kid ... somewhere we've got a picture of me on that little wooden boat, hunkered down within the hull shielding myself from the wind - and in North Berwick, when the wind gets up it's BLOODY COLD. I've never felt wind colder in my entire life. ) ... anyway - excellent picture, I love how the water looks like fog/mist - if you just focus on the rocks at the bottom of the picture it looks like mountains appearing out of the mist or something.

Ah yes, the North Berwick Law - I've been up that a couple of times in my younger years, again I think we've got pics somewhere of that trip, I remember that well. Good times.

I found another picture by someone else, of that rocky outcrop I spoke of before - the rickety metal bridge that I finally dared to cross a couple of years ago after never daring throughout my entire life beforehand:

Now that's an old picture of it (today it's as-seen in my pic - lots of new metal barriers etc - but I do remember a time when it was as the above picture states ... no wonder I never dared to cross it back then!)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Napoli:
    Aces - fantastic pictures! I especially like the Fornese Bull (upper right detail) and that pic of Vesuvius! Sweeeeet.

Just goes to show you, you don't need a dSLR to take good photos.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Love the pics kraken.
    I have to agree. Breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    I found another picture by someone else, of that rocky outcrop I spoke of before - the rickety metal bridge that I finally dared to cross a couple of years ago after never daring throughout my entire life beforehand:

<snip picture>

Now that's an old picture of it (today it's as-seen in my pic - lots of new metal barriers etc - but I do remember a time when it was as the above picture states ... no wonder I never dared to cross it back then!)
    I can see why! I'm not sure I'd cross it either.

Ok, well, this weekend in West Virginia ended up being a "working weekend" for me (lots of yard work to deal with), so not much time for pictures... however - I did manage to snap a picture of this little guy who was on my deck near the end of the day. I didn't have my Pentax with me, so this was shot using the camera phone of my Droid Incredible 2 - and didn't turn out too bad considering:

Creepy looking face on that sucker, isn't it? *shudders*

BTW: I've always heard the old wives tale that these kinds (or a similar kind, I have no idea of the specifics) of caterpillars are supposed to be able to predict the winter based on their color(s). If that's the case, does this one essentially mean WV is screwed this winter (since it's all white)?? I sure hope not! Then again, it's another old wives tale that you can predict the winter by the size of the acorns falling. If that's the case, we are screwed this year because some of the millions of acorns falling on our property are almost the size of golf balls!

***edited to add: I think I identified this one, too. I believe it is the larva stage of the Laugher Moth, a/k/a, "Charadra deridens"

Clicky the linky for more info: http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?s...ridens&guide=1
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 19-Sep-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    That's funny, I was in North Berwick a few weeks ago. Love your pics. I actually took a fancy-ass long exposure pic of that same island. The details came out kinda soft (probably due to me setting the exposure a bit too high; more time to pick up tiny vibrations of the wind on the tripod, fractionally blurring the image), but I love the smoky water effect.

What sort of exposure time was that? Seconds?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Here's a strange picture I took just yesterday. I was standing out in my driveway when my son pointed this little guy hanging out on a branch right behind me:

No idea what it is (other than some sort of caterpillar), but it's creepy as hell looking! *shudders*

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What sort of exposure time was that? Seconds?
    Can't remember offhand, I could check the details in the RAW file when I get home, but I think it was something in the region of 20-30 seconds, hence, as I say, the slight softness of the "solid" features (the island, rocks, etc.) due to the time-accumulated effect of wind and waves hitting the tripod. If the sea was rougher, I could have gone for a much lower exposure, but the sea was calm that day and anything less than that, I wouldn't have caught enough waves to overlap and create the "misty" effect.

I was also using a cheap (well, £40) adjustable ND filter to darken the scene so the image didn't overexpose.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Here's a strange picture I took just yesterday. I was standing out in my driveway when my son pointed this little guy hanging out on a branch right behind me:

No idea what it is (other than some sort of caterpillar), but it's creepy as hell looking! *shudders*
    THE INVASION! IT BEGINS!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Grubs usually freak me out, but that is soooo cool! Nice catch and great color and detail.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    THE INVASION! IT BEGINS!

+1 MZ!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Grubs usually freak me out, but that is soooo cool! Nice catch and great color and detail.
    Thanks, Aces. I'll let you guys in on a little secret: that picture was neither HDR, nor was it taken with my Pentax or any other dSLR

Truth be told, that was taken on a camera phone, a HTC Droid Incredible 2 to be exact. Another example showing that you don't need a high-end dSLR to take really nice photos. I couldn't believe the color and detail of that picture when I pulled it off my phone. I was totally shocked - and pleased!

Administrator

England
    Can't remember offhand, I could check the details in the RAW file when I get home, but I think it was something in the region of 20-30 seconds, hence, as I say, the slight softness of the "solid" features (the island, rocks, etc.) due to the time-accumulated effect of wind and waves hitting the tripod. If the sea was rougher, I could have gone for a much lower exposure, but the sea was calm that day and anything less than that, I wouldn't have caught enough waves to overlap and create the "misty" effect.

I was also using a cheap (well, £40) adjustable ND filter to darken the scene so the image didn't overexpose.
    Couldn't you just have used a very low ISO?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    He could have, yes, but as the saying goes, "Any port in a storm."

Good news (I think?) - I think I identified that green caterpillar as a "Eumorpha pandorus larva" - Whatever the hell that is!

Click here for info and more pictures.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 19-Sep-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: .

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The photo was actually taken at the camera's lowest ISO setting (ISO100), without the filter it would have been a complete white-out at that exposure length.

Apparently you can, sometimes, if you're lucky, get nice results shooting filterless long exposure shots with reduced ISO/aperture at late dusk or early dawn, but whenever I've tried it I've ended up with at least some overexposure and blown highlights. Shooting in the mid-afternoon (as in the above shot), you'd have no chance.

England
    Nothing fancy with this one, just a very flooded York the weekend before last!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    a very flooded York the weekend before last!
    Nice, Tricky! Just curious - did you do any post-processing on that picture, or is that how it came off the camera?

England
    Cheers Lou! Nope, I haven't done anything with that one, its just "as is", I took it with my HTC one X with no effects on :-)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Cheers Lou! Nope, I haven't done anything with that one, its just "as is", I took it with my HTC one X with no effects on :-)
    Wow, it's amazing how good the cameras on our cell phones are getting. I've seen some stellar photographs coming off cell phone cameras recently. Awesome.

I dug through some of my older photographs and will post them soon. Dj - I found the "magazine worthy mustang picture" in my collection - I'll post that one soon too.