Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Extremely amateur photography

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Great shots, guys!

^ Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland, North-East Englandshire. The "dice" in the foreground are coastal defenses to stop the tides from eroding the dunes, upon which some local character has painted dots. (I might have gone a little bit overboard in lightening the shaded areas in Lightroom).

^ Looking out to sea from the same beach. I like the symmetry in this shot.

^ Sometimes you see pretty shots in the least likely places. Like the gutter. I wish I'd used a higher (narrower) f-stop to get the details of the road at the same sharpness as the steeple, but otherwise I like this shot. (CTRL and roll down on your mousewheel to zoom out a bit and see the whole thing at once if you have to scroll to see it all)
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 22-Dec-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: .

Being Attacked

Aaland
    some really amazing pictures! Really like the on of cattails ! And tracy you have some great talent of photography as all your shots are well appreciable

Super Moderator

UK
    Some beautiful shots there kraken. I love the black & white shot - a gorgeous looking shot with just lovely composition.

United States
    kraken - awesome shots! Love all of them, but that reflection in the water pic is some really interesting composition.

England
    I went for a wander round York city walls again today and snapped this one of the minster. I took it with my phone and used one of the effects filters to make it look a bit moody.

IMAG1039_2.jpg

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

^ Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland, North-East Englandshire. The "dice" in the foreground are coastal defenses to stop the tides from eroding the dunes, upon which some local character has painted dots. (I might have gone a little bit overboard in lightening the shaded areas in Lightroom).
    Love the contrast in textures and colours etc!

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

^ Looking out to sea from the same beach. I like the symmetry in this shot.
    You know I'm tempted to put my hand over the left third of the image to block the headland, leaving just the people, the sea and the beach?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You know I'm tempted to put my hand over the left third of the image to block the headland, leaving just the people, the sea and the beach?
    I see what you mean. It would make the difference between a "classical" landscape and a more striking minimalist image. It's cool to think about the difference such changes make - focuses the mind on the importance of framing, and the concept that, with modern computer editing techniques, one photograph can have a hundred possible images come out of it. Bear in mind that pic is already a crop from a bigger picture too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I went for a wander round York city walls again today and snapped this one of the minster. I took it with my phone and used one of the effects filters to make it look a bit moody.
    York is a stunning town. I was there a few years back, before I was interested in photography, but man I'd love to go back with my camera and a wide angle lens. I like that pic. Really reminds me of being there, looking over the city on a moody, overcast day. The contrast makes it vaguely threatening. Shows you don't need a £1000 camera setup to take evocative pics.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 14-Jan-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: .

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If the image was mirrored it wouldn't be like that. Composition should have the darker parts to the left. But the eye gravitates to the right in that image because of the people, and your mind wants to ignore the left part of the image. It's definitely a great image though! Is it a panoramic? I don't see any of the tell tale signs of a panoramic. So if it is, great job stitching it.
    Last edited by babomb; 16-Jan-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: .

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    If the image was mirrored it wouldn't be like that. Composition should have the darker parts to the left. But the eye gravitates to the right in that image because of the people, and your mind wants to ignore the left part of the image. It's definitely a great image though! Is it a panoramic? I don't see any of the tell tale signs of a panoramic. So if it is, great job stitching it.
    Thanks, man. Nah, it's not panoramic; it was taken from far, far away and I just cropped out the top and bottom thirds of the image.

United States
    *sits back with a smile and stares in awe at the posted photos*

We have some damn good photographers here. I haven't pulled out my camera for quite a while (it's been nasty and cold around here, not to mention I've been very busy at home), but hopefully soon I can start flooding us with more eye candy.

'till then, please keep posting your photos. I, as well as everyone else, are thoroughly enjoying 'em.

Kraken - I keep staring at that B&W beach photo - that is awesome.

United States
    Here's one I took in West Virginia this weekend. Not really 'special' in any way, but this one's post-processing turned out some interesting results...

Last edited by LouCipherr; 08-Feb-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

Coming in 2013 - "The House By The Pond That Dripped Blood In The Snow!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Coming in 2013 - "The House By The Pond That Dripped Blood In The Snow!"
    It does look like something out of a weird horror movie, doesn't it?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    *sits back with a smile and stares in awe at the posted photos*

We have some damn good photographers here. I haven't pulled out my camera for quite a while (it's been nasty and cold around here, not to mention I've been very busy at home), but hopefully soon I can start flooding us with more eye candy.

'till then, please keep posting your photos. I, as well as everyone else, are thoroughly enjoying 'em.

I am setting up a Mustang Photo shoot in Philly if you want to put your Camara to good use

Kraken - I keep staring at that B&W beach photo - that is awesome.
    I am setting up a Mustang Photo shoot in Philly if you want to put your Camara to good use
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I will, if you bring it to Maryland.