Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So US folks... Clinton or Trump?

Administrator

England

So US folks... Clinton or Trump?

Still can't believe Trump has got this far!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Neither. This will be the first election in 29 years that I haven't voted in. I can't in good conscience support either. And since there are no other options, I'm done. Unless better choices are presented in future elections, it's unlikely I'll be participating in the future.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Neither. This will be the first election in 29 years that I haven't voted in. I can't in good conscience support either. And since there are no other options, I'm done. Unless better choices are presented in future elections, it's unlikely I'll be participating in the future.
    I think Trump will win for this reason.

People who abstain are more likely to be to the detriment of Clinton, rather than Trump.
    The same goes for the corrupt gerrymandering and conservative attempts at fighting the made up issue of "voter fraud", thus making it harder for minorities and the poor to vote. Both are constituencies who would probably vote Democratic.

Ireland
    It's like asking someone of they want a kick in the left bollock or the right one.

In any case I think Hilary will get this. She's been groomed by the establishment for this position for a long time and I read somewhere a few weeks ago that most observers think that Trump has about a 20% chance of winning. There's part of me that still thinks the Republicans want to throw the fight, because trump is front and centre.

Neither is good for the US. Hilary is too cozied up to be trustworthy (not that President has ever been trustworthy) and Donnie may talk some good yap about "tackling Wall Street", but when in office (like Clinton) he'll do exactly what he's told to do by the businesses that run the country and not have to deliver on a single thing he said in the run up.

It's funny, though. Everybody I know in the US isn't voting. They believe that both candidates are that toxic.

Bottom line...American politics needs more options than just Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee. Lots more.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's funny, though. Everybody I know in the US isn't voting. They believe that both candidates are that toxic.
    People always assume this is going to somehow make it a toss-up. It isn't.
    Less voters mean more chance of Trump winning.

Observers can bite me in the ass, they say the same thing about Brexit. Trump voters aren't staying at home, potential Clinton voters are. Donald Trump WILL win.

Ireland
    I don't think people are assuming that it'll result in a toss up. I think they are rightly not endorsing either candidate and withdrawing their vote.

TBH, I don't blame them, neither are a good option. In fact there's not even a least worst option here.

Sadly, America's bogus two party system nonsense is a rather limited (deliberately so) choice on which side of the coin gets their hands on the tiller for a few years. But nothing really changes. It's an illusion of choice.

Administrator

England
    Obama may not be so keen on Trump - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36958126
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I don't think people are assuming that it'll result in a toss up. I think they are rightly not endorsing either candidate and withdrawing their vote.

TBH, I don't blame them, neither are a good option. In fact there's not even a least worst option here.

Sadly, America's bogus two party system nonsense is a rather limited (deliberately so) choice on which side of the coin gets their hands on the tiller for a few years. But nothing really changes. It's an illusion of choice.
    People are making it out to be as if they withdrawing their vote means anything other than "Trump is going to win" - which he is. Also, there is clearly a less bad option, seeing as Trump is anti-abortion, anti-muslim, overtly racist and makes shit up. Clinton is not great. She lacks charisma. She doesnt lack policies.

Ireland
    Both candidates will end up following what their backers tell them to do.

There is no real difference in the parties over there. They are both conservative Lackies to big business and regardless of the tripe they spout during an election run, they will follow the drill when in power.

None of trump's bullshit will come to pass. His nonsense about "building walls", "shutting down the internet" and "banning Muslim's" won't happen. That's all just shite to appeal to the lowest common denominator in his voter base. He has said and will say anything to get into office.

Clinton, on the other hand, hasn't actually said much of anything at all. She's playing a wiser game and generally keeping schtum. Crap like "Every day America needs a champion and I want to be that champion" means bugger all. Both candidates talk in soundbites, but will generally follow a path that's already been set.

Neither party actually believes in anything any more, except gaining power. I wonder if they ever did.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Would you mind taking this and posting your results?

I'm just curious:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Ireland
    I'm generally middle of the roads, with a left wing bias in certain things and a right wing bias on others.

I've taken that thing before, but I don't really like it. There's no middle ground or gray area on any of the options so it's not truly reflective of anyone's political compass.

Your Political Compass
    Economic Left/Right: -7.0
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Attachment 1401

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Jesus H. Christ, and I thought I was a lefty.

I agree it's not a perfect test, but it's a good indicator.
    I do agree tho that the lack of a middle ground is a major weakness in it.

United States
    I am voting Clinton. . .but honestly voting any kind of Democrat in South Carolina is like pissing in the wind. . . . . My vote is almost always for naught
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Jesus H. Christ, and I thought I was a lefty.

I agree it's not a perfect test, but it's a good indicator.
    I do agree tho that the lack of a middle ground is a major weakness in it.
    You can't determine someone's true political leanings from that site. There's not enough questions for a start. For example I would be fairly right leaning in my opinions on crime and punishment. That's not really represented much in that questionnaire, other than in very simplistic terms.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I am voting Clinton. . .but honestly voting any kind of Democrat in South Carolina is like pissing in the wind. . . . . My vote is almost always for naught
    The electorial system is kinda stupid, that way.