Thread: Cancer - More good news!

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

Undisclosed

Wow

My father died of melanoma. If you have to get cancer, its one of the not-so-bad ones as surgery can treat it most of the time. If it comes back, you're screwed and that's what happened to him. This is good news
    Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geophyrd View Post
    My father died of melanoma. If you have to get cancer, its one of the not-so-bad ones as surgery can treat it most of the time. If it comes back, you're screwed and that's what happened to him. This is good news
    My friend has had two bouts of it... One growth near her knee then 3-4yrs later it had moved to her lymph node at the top of that leg.

4-5yrs later (this year) she had a brani tumour.

3-4 months on nothing new is showing on her scans so things are taking a good turn for the better. From what the doctors say the first couple of months is when things can reappear in the brain again...

Of course, three encounters with skins cancer, with the third example being infected cells reaching her brain is not great a long term survival prognosis! However, the fact the current scans are clear is a very good start!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm sorry, the title of this topic just cracks me up!

I only know one person who's died from cancer. A friend's mom died from breast cancer a few years ago. That was sad.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its a shame its taken so long to get going, my great grandfather had a melanoma on his hand, it spread to all his internal organs, all form a funny mole that was left untreated.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm sorry, the title of this topic just cracks me up!

I only know one person who's died from cancer. A friend's mom died from breast cancer a few years ago. That was sad.
    OK! That possibly does deserve an award for worst subject line of all time ever
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27674658

The results of two international trials against advanced skin cancer have been hailed as "exciting and striking".

Both treatments, for advanced melanoma, are designed to enable the immune system to recognise and target tumours.

The findings were released at the American Society of Clinical Oncology conference in Chicago.

The experimental drugs, pembrolizumab and nivolumab, block the biological pathway cancers use to disguise themselves from the immune system.

Advanced melanoma - skin cancer which has spread to other organs - has proved very hard to treat.

Until a few years ago average survival was around six months.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    This sounds excellent - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41094990

That first patient had been near to death, but has now been cancer-free for more than five years.

Out of 63 patients treated with CAR-T therapy, 83% were in complete remission within three months and long-term data is still being collected.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Every step forward and breakthrough is great.

I was talking to someone the other day and a friend of theirs had been diagnosed with cancer, but had chosen to not go through treatment (as it was unlikely they'd survive very long), so they wanted to live the rest of their days well - amazingly, the cancer is now in remission (without having been treated)! A huge rarity, of course ... but blimey, the human body is a curious thing.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Sep-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Every step forward and breakthrough is great.

I was talking to someone the other day and a friend of theirs had been diagnosed with cancer, but had chosen to not go through treatment (as it was unlikely they'd survive very long), so they wanted to live the rest of their days well - amazingly, the cancer is now in remission (without having been treated)! A huge rarity, of course ... but blimey, the human body is a curious thing.
    That's great to hear...

And with so many treatments on the way, it may only we bee that the next decade starts to see cancer being seriously kicked in the doodads!
    -Carl Sagan