Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Extremely amateur photography

United States
    Y'know what's weird? I agree with everything you said after reading it (even though I would've never thought of those aspects myself), but I planned literally none of that when I took the pic!

Seriously, I should be thinking more about composition (and I do a little bit), but when you mention, for example, the railing on the pier terminates right in the top right corner - I wasn't even thinking about that when I took it. Most of the time, I think about the rule of thirds first (although, rules are made to be broken, so that's just a 'starting point') - then I compose with that 'sort of' in the back of my mind and start snapping away. I have a general idea of what I want to capture, and I have a (very) general idea of how to get it - but it's usually not until I go home, dump the pics on my computer and start sorting through them that I find some shots are really good, but most suck. I'm usually not aware the 'good ones' are happening in the moment, it's always later when I review them and say "oh wow! That turned out way better than I expected!" In fact, I think most of the pics I've posted on here were like that!

Thanks for that analysis though - it's interesting how outside opinions can make you see clearly when sometimes, on your own, you just 'know' something is ok but you can't quite put your finger on why it's ok.

Just to give you an idea of good shots vs. bad shots: I probably snapped off a good 200 pictures on this vacation (remember, they're in groups of 3 shots per photo since I'm doing HDR) and to be honest, I think I probably had about 10 or so "keepers" and the rest were... not "throwaways" per se, but certainly not stuff I would show anyone else.

BTW: that 'gold' looking photo of the sunset on the water a few posts back? That photo was 100%, completely accidental. I had no idea it was going to turn out in that monochrome yellow/gold color like that. If fact, when I took it and looked at the preview on my camera, I thought "well, that didn't work" - it wasn't until later I looked at it on my computer and thought "hey, it DID work!" And one other tidbit: that's the only photo in these recent vacation pics that was not HDR. That was a single shot on "auto" setting on my K-x.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jul-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Lou - while I've only got a straight forward point-and-click camera (well, it does have a few settings, but it fits in your pocket, so...) - I too just take a bunch of photos and see afterwards what good ones appear. Sometimes I'm just snap happy - like at a party, and I just go mad, but that's usually when you'll get a few really good 'just so' moments ... although, being party shots, most of them are a bit skew-wiff after a few Strongbows.

With holiday snaps, again, just grabbing a bunch of shots and seeing what works after the fact as you say. Usually you don't have the time to, well, take your time, as you've got things to be moving on to, something to see, somewhere to be, or there's a bunch of bloody people all over the place, heh.

United States
    Yeah MZ, I've realized it's best just to take multiple shots of everything you can and sort it all out later. You will find some nice shots within the 100-200 you took, and a few "wow!" shots, too.

Last few...

Another sunset/sand dune pic:

And finally, this is a shot of the courtyard directly behind the hotel we were staying at. It didn't turn out that good (a bit of light 'poisoning' in the sky, due to a really bright light on the hotel next door), but I figured screw it, you can't always bat 1000. In fact, I'm lucky if I bat a 50, much less 1000.

That'll wrap up the Atlantic Beach photos. The ones that were worth showing, anyway.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Thanks, MZ. Interesting story, too.

Yeah, I like piers and boardwalks and all - it adds a bit more 'flavor' to the landscape around the ocean. I get a tad tired of staring at sand, sun, and water all day. That pier was about 2 blocks down from where we were staying, so I figured I'd head over there while taking pictures and see what came out of it.

Now, as an experiment... Which does your eye prefer, the first photo of the pier I posted or this one:

I personally like this 2nd one a tad bit more, but I'll be damned if I can explain why in words. It's really nothing more than a different angle on the thing, but it seems to make a lot of difference to my eyes.

Shame there's not a combination of the two, the length of the second (ie: lots of the peer in shot), with it ending in the middle of the image like the first. If you understand what I mean?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Shame there's not a combination of the two, the length of the second (ie: lots of the peer in shot), with it ending in the middle of the image like the first. If you understand what I mean?

Yes, I know exactly what you mean - and I kinda wish I would've thought about that at the time.. d'oh!

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    A few of mine from one of my favorite places in London... the Southbank Skatepark

You may have to click on them. For some reason, my pictures uploaded on here as thumbnails...

1157499_10152144283223868_1425632918_n.jpg
    945413_10152144284513868_1523395675_n.jpg
    1176335_10152157829608868_116638710_n.jpg

All taken with a Canon 7D and 18-55mm lenses.
    Last edited by Cykotic; 10-Dec-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Super Moderator

UK
    Nice pics Cykotic!

You should do photography for skating magazines/websites.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I have been offered a few paid gigs because of them lol

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post

All taken with a Canon 7D and 18-55mm lenses.
    Nice action shots!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Aaland
    I see this is an old thread, but it's interesting to track the changes in photography.
    Photo editing software became more sophisticated and more expensive as a result. What I mean is Lightroom, and its alternatives like Luminar. Some tools, on the contrary, became free like Nik collection.
    What editors do you use now?