Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Libyan Consulate Attack; Cairo Embassy Stormed in Protest Over US Film

United States

Libyan Consulate Attack; Cairo Embassy Stormed in Protest Over US Film

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=17215154

By DEAN SCHABNER, ENJOLI FRANCIS and ANTHONY CASTELLANO
    Sept. 12, 2012

An American State Department employee has died in Benghazi, Libya after militants stormed the U.S. consulate, angry about an American made film that depicts Prophet Mohammad as a fraud and womanizer.

Anger over the film that some believe insults the Prophet Muhammad also provoked protests in Cairo Tuesday, where demonstrators climbed the walls of the U.S. embassy, took down the American flag and replaced it with a black flag.

A senior U.S. senior official told ABC News they are on alert throughout the region and fear there is more to come. The American State Department employee likely died of smoke inhalation Tuesday from the fire at the consulate, according to the U.S official. One of the buildings was completely destroyed by fire set by the militants.

There were about 20 attackers with small arms who stormed the consulate. There was a firefight with Libyan security officers guarding the consulate, according to the U.S. official.
    The group that attacked the consulate is called Ansar al Sharia, according to Libyan sources. The group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but did not mention the movie as motivation. The group is close to al Qaeda ideology and exists in east Libya.

"I condemn in the strongest terms the attack on our mission in Benghazi today," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement released Tuesday night. "As we work to secure our personnel and facilities, we have confirmed that one of our State Department officers was killed. We are heartbroken by this terrible loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and those who have suffered in this attack."

Libyan President Mohammed Yussef Magariaf promised to coordinate additional support to protect Americans in the country, condemned the assault on the embassy and pledged his government's full cooperation, Clinton said.

In Cairo, dozens of protesters scaled the embassy walls and took down the flag from a pole in the courtyard. After trying unsuccessfully to burn it, they ripped it apart and replaced it with a black flag bearing Arabic writing. Reports that the black flag was from al Qaeda were not confirmed.

Victoria Nuland, a State Department spokeswoman, said today the United States was working with Egyptian security to restore order.

"This came up pretty quickly," she said. "[It was a] relatively modest group of people and the Egyptian security was caught off guard."

David Linfield, an embassy spokesman, said that no guns were involved.
    "No one fired," he said.

According to The Atlantic and Egyptian media, the movie is called "Mohammed, Prophet of the Muslims" and has been promoted by Terry Jones, the controversial Florida preacher whose Koran burning in March 2010 led to the deadly violence in Afghanistan.

Jones said Tuesday in a statement that the film was actually titled "Innocence of Muslims" and was intended not to attack Muslims but to show the "destructive ideology of Islam."
    "The movie further reveals in a satirical fashion the life of Muhammad," he said.

Egyptian media also reported that two Egyptians from the Christian minority Coptic group had helped with the movie. Clips in Arabic and English have been released on YouTube.
    In a statement Tuesday, the U.S. embassy said it condemned "the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims."

Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, jumped on the embassy's statement with one of his own. "I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi," he said. "It's disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."

Clinton said anger over a movie is no excuse for violence.

"Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet," she said. "The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind."

ABC News' Martha Raddatz and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    All these terrorist shitheads piss me off. Over a f-ing movie? I am quite amused by the fact that they couldn't burn it. Bet that chapped their ass to no ends.

Too bad this didn't happen again.

Speaking of shit...I'd like to say this to a few of them

Administrator

England
    These cultures bemuse me. What is it within them that means they feel they have to attack (kill) other people because of words about a supposed faith? And I say supposed because of course there's not an ounce of proof for any of them.

We even have this over here in the UK:-

Channel 4 has been forced to cancel a screening of the controversial documentary Islam: The Untold Story, after the presenter was threatened with physical violence.

Historian Tom Holland received abusive messages on Twitter and warnings he would come to harm because of the film, in which he suggests that Islam is a 'made-up' religion.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ors_picks=true
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Now it has came to light that the American Ambassador for Libya was murdered during that attack along with 2 others I believe.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=17215154

wtf....

My thoughts and prayers go out to all their families......tragic.......

Super Moderator

United States
    Aside from religious insanity what perplexes me about all this is:

Nearly a dozen Americans were inside the consulate at the time, guarded only by Libyan security. For nearly 20 minutes the Libyan guards exchanged fire with the attackers, who hurled a firebomb inside.
    WTF!? No detachment of the marine security group or any other agency security detail that I had always heard were used for consulate and embassy security? I need more details...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Ah well, that's what ousting Gaddafi has resulted in.

It's only going to get worse.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    10 years ago I would probably have been foaming at the mouth and banging on about how we should carpet bomb them into the stone age etc, but now while I still find it an overreaction on their part, I don't have much sympathy with the west either. The west seems to enjoy poking at the wasps nest and then getting all outraged when we get stung. Insulting Islam is not going to make them give up their beliefs and is only going to make the fanatics dig their heels in and cost us more lives as has been proved yet again here.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    10 years ago I would probably have been foaming at the mouth and banging on about how we should carpet bomb them into the stone age etc, but now while I still find it an overreaction on their part, I don't have much sympathy with the west either. The west seems to enjoy poking at the wasps nest and then getting all outraged when we get stung. Insulting Islam is not going to make them give up their beliefs and is only going to make the fanatics dig their heels in and cost us more lives as has been proved yet again here.
    Exactly. If you look at all of the "uprisings" after Egypt, they have been backed or even financed by western interests. as is now blatantly occuring Syria. Anyone that cannot see how intereference in the internal affairs of soveriegn nations and even worse, the continued unaccountable killings of innocent civilians in drone strikes is leading to this type of reaction has been watching Faux News way too much. All roads lead back to the extremists in Tel Aviv as the cause of almost all of the problems in the middle east and their entrenched minions in the U.S. government wanting Americans to fight and die in wars against Israel's "enemies".

I think this whole "video" thing is a cover story as a diversion for actual cause being the growing anger of the Libyan people having a puppet ruler forced upon them, just like what was happening in post Saddam Hussein Iraq.

Anyone here remember the root cause of the Iranian takeover the U.S. embassy? Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Oh and just to add this: Guess who Nato and the U.S. was helping in the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi and are now being blamed for the killing of the U.S. ambassador?

Libyan rebel commander admits his fighters have al-Qaeda links

In an interview with the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore, Mr al-Hasidi admitted that he had recruited "around 25" men from the Derna area in eastern Libya to fight against coalition troops in Iraq. Some of them, he said, are "today are on the front lines in Adjabiya".

Mr al-Hasidi insisted his fighters "are patriots and good Muslims, not terrorists," but added that the "members of al-Qaeda are also good Muslims and are fighting against the invader".

His revelations came even as Idriss Deby Itno, Chad's president, said al-Qaeda had managed to pillage military arsenals in the Libyan rebel zone and acquired arms, "including surface-to-air missiles, which were then smuggled into their sanctuaries".

Mr al-Hasidi admitted he had earlier fought against "the foreign invasion" in Afghanistan, before being "captured in 2002 in Peshwar, in Pakistan". He was later handed over to the US, and then held in Libya before being released in 2008.

US and British government sources said Mr al-Hasidi was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, or LIFG, which killed dozens of Libyan troops in guerrilla attacks around Derna and Benghazi in 1995 and 1996.

Al-CIA-da
    Last edited by Sammich; 13-Sep-2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: a

United States
    There are photos now of Ambassador Stevens' body being dragged through the streets. One of them his back appears severely bruised.

I'm not going to post the photos but just know that they are out there and that this wasn't a protest gone wrong.

Also, I guess one of the other Americans killed was a Gamer and posted a comment on his forum about dying tonight or something. Appeared as a joke (or maybe not....I'm unsure) but I guess he ended up being correct sadly.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/vilerat/

On Tuesday, Sean Smith, a Foreign Service Information Management Officer
    assigned to the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, typed a message to the director
    of his online gaming guild
    : ”Assuming we don’t die tonight. We saw one of
    our ‘police’ that guard the compound taking pictures.” The consulate was under
    siege, and within hours, a mob would attack, killing Smith along with three
    others, including the U.S. ambassador.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 13-Sep-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: .....

United States
    And now Yemen....these shit for brains are at it again....

Protesters angered by a film they consider blasphemous to Islam have stormed the U.S. Embassy compound in Yemen's capital, Sanaa, in the most recent attack on U.S. diplomatic posts in the Middle East.
    The Associated Press reports the protesters reached the embassy's grounds but did not enter the building housing the offices. Once inside the embassy, the mob tore down the U.S. flag and burned it. Before storming the compound, the demonstrators removed the embassy's sign and set tires on fire.
    It was similar to an attack on the U.S. Embassy in the Egyptian capital of Cairo on Tuesday night. A mob of Libyans also attacked the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi on Tuesday, killing American Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
    In Egypt, protesters were clashing with police near the U.S. Embassy in the capital Cairo for the third day in a row

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09...#ixzz26LJoR0rE

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    There are photos now of Ambassador Stevens' body being dragged through the streets. One of them his back appears severely bruised.
    Yeah, one pic was also on the cover of one of the papers this morning, I was definitely taken aback!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I've read those photos are of individuals trying to get him to a hospital?

Could be the very people being condemned here are trying to save him?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Is the film/video in question is not even about Islam or Mohammed? Appears it's just been dubbed over?

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backc...c-movie-at-all

The online 14-minute clip of a purportedly anti-Islamic movie that sparked protests at the US embassy in Cairo and and the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya is now looking like it could have been ginned up by someone sitting a basement with cheap dubbing software.
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    I saw on the news that the cast in the film are saying they were mislead entirely about the film, and if they'd known what the real nature of the film would be they wouldn't have done it.
    this situation is not on the level. They've wanted to go into Libya for a long time now. Now they have warships moving in along the coast and they'll be getting their war. Coincidence? Nahhh. No way....

Administrator

England
    Was the attack a well planned terrorist attack nothing to do with the video? Indeed were there even protests?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-16210837.html

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...zi-attack.html
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    From what I understand, the ambassador and the others were killed in a 'secret' bunker that was there in the event that the embassy was overrun. If further information comes out backing this, then the attack was indeed planned. Sorry, I just find it too coincidental that a random mob could have discovered a secret bunker without any prior planning. What's been driving me up the wall is that Obama and company appear to be trying to sweep the whole situation under the rug.