Thread: Microsoft's new super duper 3D environments for XBox 720

Administrator

England

Microsoft's new super duper 3D environments for XBox 720

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-environments/

The possibilities for the combined technologies are unlike anything seen before in interactive entertainment. Players could feasibly fill their rooms with full 360-degree displays, interact with a game world not just on their TV but across the walls around them, and observe 3D holograms within the room through the Kinect Glasses.

The combined devices will, in theory, will provide the most sophisticated tracking data on where the player is standing and looking.

I'm slightly skeptical if only because every time I've seen a Kinect in action I've been very unimpressed!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I'm with you on this one Neil....I don't believe technology is there yet.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Nor I, but hell, in ten years? I'll be up for buying a console when this thing is eventually ready.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I can't help think Microsoft engineers have modelled this whole thing around their own limited experience of the "living room", i.e. the minimalist, airy-white, tennis field-sized living spaces in their own Silicon Valley condos. My living room, on the other hand, is about the size of their garage, has a corner sofa that takes up pretty much all of two walls, a bay window that takes up another wall, the remaining wall has a bookcase and a TV against it, and there are pictures hanging, too. There is not enough floor space for running around blasting bad guys, and certainly not enough free wall space to project an immersive world on to. Bearing in mind that British homes tend to be smaller and have less integrated storage space (hence more furniture required to contain stuff) than American homes, I wonder what effect this will have on the uptake of the technology this side of the pond.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I can't help think Microsoft engineers have modelled this whole thing around their own limited experience of the "living room", i.e. the minimalist, airy-white, tennis field-sized living spaces in their own Silicon Valley condos. My living room, on the other hand, is about the size of their garage, has a corner sofa that takes up pretty much all of two walls, a bay window that takes up another wall, the remaining wall has a bookcase and a TV against it, and there are pictures hanging, too. There is not enough floor space for running around blasting bad guys, and certainly not enough free wall space to project an immersive world on to. Bearing in mind that British homes tend to be smaller and have less integrated storage space (hence more furniture required to contain stuff) than American homes, I wonder what effect this will have on the uptake of the technology this side of the pond.
    Indeed, small rooms, furniture all over the place, pictures on the wall etc - how on earth is this rubbish supposed to work?

Also, I get annoyed by all this tech that wants the player to stand up and jump around - when I play a game I specifically want to be sat on my arse, thank you very much.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Also, I get annoyed by all this tech that wants the player to stand up and jump around - when I play a game I specifically want to be sat on my arse, thank you very much.
    Exactly. And how often, when you play games, are there other people, non-participants, in the room. As it is, I sit and play Skyrim quietly on the PC in the corner, while the OH sits and does her studying or whatever on the laptop. Not sure she'd appreciate frost trolls bursting through the walls and me leaping over the sofa yelling FUS-RO-DAH! instead.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Exactly. And how often, when you play games, are there other people, non-participants, in the room. As it is, I sit and play Skyrim quietly on the PC in the corner, while the OH sits and does her studying or whatever on the laptop. Not sure she'd appreciate frost trolls bursting through the walls and me leaping over the sofa yelling FUS-RO-DAH! instead.

Administrator

England
    Surely a far easier way to achieve this would be just with really good, high quality 3D goggles? You could project what ever you want around the individual (with an LCD screen for each eye), even allowing to look at their own body/arms (computerised) via Kinect type methods.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Like others, I don't believe the technology is there yet. If this turns out to be true, I certainly won't be using it. I have no interest in Kinect, let alone a more advanced version that takes up the entire room. As others have said, how the hell will it work in a room with pictures on the wall, decorations, large windows, etc?

I'll sit my happy ass on the couch to enjoy my games(with the exception of Wii Sports), thank you very much.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Sep-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Like others, I don't believe the technology is there yet. If this turns out to be true, I certainly won't be using it. I have no interest in Kinect, let alone a more advanced version that takes up the entire room. As others have said, how the hell will it work in a room with pictures on the wall, decorations, large windows, etc?

I'll sit my happy ass on the couch to enjoy my games(with the exception of Wii Sports), thank you very much.
    I'm with you on Kinect - I have zero interest in that gimmick. NO INTEREST. Seeing supposed specs for the next Xbox, with Kinect forced upon you, I just groaned with derision. I want no part of Kinect or any of that arm-waving malarky.