Thread: Night 90 Blu-ray up for Pre-Order

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ORDERED... 2 copies. =O)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

England
    Madness to blind buy this. No mention of any restoration and only a commentary as a special feature worthwhile mentioning.
    Stinks of a money grab.
    Buy the rights for a certain figure.
    Calculate how much money you want to make and then limit the release to a number of copies at a certain price.
    No thanks.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Madness to blind buy this. No mention of any restoration and only a commentary as a special feature worthwhile mentioning.
    Stinks of a money grab.
    Buy the rights for a certain figure.
    Calculate how much money you want to make and then limit the release to a number of copies at a certain price.
    No thanks.
    Agreed, but once they're gone... they're gone, and I can sell my 2nd copy for a nice profit that will pay for both copies.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

Germany
    You will make your money back easy, DJ. Probably much more if you hold on to it a year.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's now sold out.

....and already selling for ridiculous prices on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Of-The...item27cac32116

Sad I had to miss out on this but with a lack of special features and restoration confirmation, I can wait until it rears it's head again. Considering how fast it sold, I imagine they'll do another run before long.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Sep-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Just tell yourself the difference between your DVD and the blu-ray would have probably been negligible due to the quality of the original and probably quality of any transfer job done. Even if it's not the truth (I couldn't say for certain), the DVD is pretty damn good, as is, though still woefully short on special features.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's now sold out.

....and already selling for ridiculous prices on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Of-The...item27cac32116

Sad I had to miss out on this but with a lack of special features and restoration confirmation, I can wait until it rears it's head again. Considering how fast it sold, I imagine they'll do another run before long.
    Wow! Numpties are paying $150? Wow!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Just got a notice that the disc has shipped! Since it is shipping from VA to MD I could have it by Saturday. I'll let you know how it looks as soon as I can screen it.

United States
    Mine arrived today in the mail. I'll watch it tonight and report back. Hopefully Johnny's rubber head to the grave shot doesn't look any worse in high definition!

Super Moderator

Germany
    Got mine too. I'll be watching it on my projector blown up to 100".

- - - Updated - - -

On facebook DJ is saying the transfer blows. Too bad. I'll check it out tonight anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Got mine, here are my thoughts...

No offense to the filmmakers, but the Night of the Living Dead (1990) Blu-Ray sucks ass.

The picture has a blu-ish tint, like someone forgot to White Balance the camera. I have to spend 20 minutes tuning my television to get it to where I like it, and believe me it wasn't worth it.

There is massive amounts of Grain and Noise Reduction which makes everyone look waxy.

The Audio sounds muddy. this film was shot in Ultra Stereo sound, a defunct sound format absorbed by DTS later on.

Special features, BLAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, The Commentary is recycled. The original featurette on the DVD is non-existent. Trust me this is a joke. You get the original trailer and that is it.

There is a nice little booklet in the BR case that gives you a little backstory about the film, but nothing spectacular.

Tis a shame this is listed as a Limited Edition... no wait, what am I saying, be glad it is limited in print because something this bad looking doesn't deserve to be on Blu-Ray.

Still one of the best remakes of the original 68 Romero film, it is a shame it got such a shitty blu-ray treatment.

PQ 2.5 stars
    AQ 2.5 stars
    Special Features 1 star

Recommendation - Wait for a better release.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 30-Sep-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Fuck you
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Ugh....horrible transfer. I too had to mess with my colors and the best is still too dark. Didn't anyone view this from Twilight Times?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just wrote the following letter to SAE about this mediocre transfer...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to lodge a complaint about the NOTLD 1990 remake Blu-Ray release from your organziation via Twilight Times.

The color timing is set very unevenly resulting in a blu-tint across the entire spectrum that was not present in the films original theatrical, VHS or DVD release. After having my Plasma professionally calibrated when it was installed, I was very upset to have to play with my tuning in order to actually watch this film without cringing about the poor transfer, and the color timing by your studio.

Did no one proof the transfer prior to release? It actually looks as if no one actually white balanced the 35MM camera system when shooting the film, yes that is how bad it looks.

While this may not be a huge deal to you organization because of the films limited pressing, for those of us who put up good money for such a mediocre product we ask Twilight Times to actually sit down and watch the film and ask yourself, do you consider this a top notch transfer? I bet the answer would be NO.

Considering the limited amount of copies, but the premium price each individual paid for a copy, we feel as though Twilight and SAE should either provide refunds or re-do the transfer and re-release the film to those with the original 3000 unit pressings.

My contact information is below, and I hope to hear back from you in the immediate future.

Sincerely

Gary Ugarek

- - - Updated - - -

Screen Archives email and facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/screenarchives

email: info@screenarchives.com

I urge you all who are let down by this Blu-ray release to send an email and complain.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 30-Sep-2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: mnmnmnmnmnmnm
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    The blue shift seems to be strongly present in the natural light scenes (scenes with daylight or moonlight) almost like the person timing maybe thought he was adding some sort of stylistic input... Oddly it does not appear to be noticieable in the final daylight sequence or the very begining. I found it to be strongly noticeable from the car wreck and on and at first thought my projector bulb was going out.

Aside from the odd blue shift i found it looked
    pretty nice on my new 120" screen, i didnt find the dts transer lacking but at a premium price with no new or really any features to speak to be unforgiviable.

Premium price with poor color timing is a joke.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 30-Sep-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: .
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Undisclosed
    Attached Images