Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Night 90 Blu-ray up for Pre-Order

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Shadow View Post
    Shared your pic on my FB page and twitter feeds to warn everyone, and also tagged SAE so they know it exists.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Shadow View Post
    Dear God! That's appalling surely? I'd rather watch the DVD? Just look at the grass for example!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    To all the profiteers who bought up dozens of limited edition copies prior to the release in the hopes of making a bundle on eBay: enjoy your new coasters!
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 30-Sep-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: SOD OFF, I SHOULDN'T NEED TO GIVE A REASON!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, these guys are really bringing BLU-ray to a new level...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Twilight Times, the distributor of the Blu-Ray posted this on their FB page, apparently they have been inundated with emails this morning...

"Just a quick note to those folk disappointed with the Blu-ray transfer of Night of the Living Dead: Today is Sunday, and we won't be able to speak with any of the studio team until tomorrow. However, we are very limited in what we can do. If it is determined that the Blu-ray is exactly what was signed off by the filmmakers and / or, other involved personnel, then we will be sure this accurately reflects everyone's intentions. On the other hand, should it be discovered that some error occurred, somewhere between telecine and master, then that would be another matter. We will know the answer in a matter of days...in the meantime all we can do is have SAE refund consumers who want to return their discs...
    Apologies for any inconvenience."
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 30-Sep-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: ujgdkyzydluflufgjvn
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Administrator

England
    ^^ Did no one f***ing watch the master before they moved on?

Wonder what those folks feel like who have been buying them for $150 on ebay?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Good questions
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Oh dear god, that horrible.

Think I'll just stick with the copy I have. I was gonna buy it on blu ray, but thanks to this thread, I won't bother.

It's amazing how much money this place has saved me over the years lol

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

In my opinion, it is intentional, but by whom? I don't know. The movie starts off looking pretty good during the cemetary scene, but by the time Barbara gets to the farm, it is veiled in darkness and a slight bluish tint.

In a way, I feel that it is more appropriate for the film, but done poorly, and it should've been left as is.

For one thing, a lot of detail is lost and the colors are washed out which is a shame because these outdoor scenes would've sparkled in the Blu Ray format.

Secondly, even though things are darkened quite a bit, there are a few scenes where you can see that the sky is blue with white puffy clouds, and the whole while you hear birds chirping, not a single cricket to be heard. Kind of goes against the whole "dusk" feel revision.

Lastly, in the scenes where you can see through the dark kitchen, and through the open door, you can still see that it was quite bright outside, in contrast to how dark it appears when she exits the house.

England
    I hope this is a genuine error and the real fans get a good version but this smelt fishy from the beginning and I take no pleasure being right in this case. The lesson to be learned is NEVER EVER buy blind. Especially cult movies.

As for the profiteers
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

Germany
    This is what I left on the Screen Archives facebook page last night:

I think you might owe everyone that purchased this a refund. The transfer appears desaturated due to pushing blue which is not how this movie was ever intended to be shown. I saw it in the theater opening night, and the color is way off. Night 90 deserves better than what you have done. The old DVD is superior in every aspect except resolution and that is unacceptable in 2012. Just for the sake of reputation I would issue a recall for all of these discs, take another crack at improving the transfer (don't phone it in this time), and issue new discs to those who paid a premium price and got a sub par product. Otherwise, these limited edition releases you are known for will become known as low quality rip offs that should be avoided.
    Screen Archives said they will likely issue refunds for those that want to return it, and I will be doing so. I would prefer a trade-in program that at the very least removes the blue tint and corrects the brightness issues.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, they weren't kidding when they were issuing a BLU-ray version of this film...

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Good questions
    Gary. You probably know more about this whole process than the rest of us. If this is a mistake, how the hell could it happen? There must be more than 1 person involved with the process from acquiring the print to distributing the release. I don't think that many people could be that incompetent in a row and, from reading peoples comments, I doubt anybody could have viewed the transfer and thought it would be acceptable in the Hi-def format.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Gary. You probably know more about this whole process than the rest of us. If this is a mistake, how the hell could it happen? There must be more than 1 person involved with the process from acquiring the print to distributing the release. I don't think that many people could be that incompetent in a row and, from reading peoples comments, I doubt anybody could have viewed the transfer and thought it would be acceptable in the Hi-def format.

I am not a color correction expert... But it could have been something simple like someone putting the filter over the film, it could have been something a little more complicated like someone accidentally triggered a filter, and didn't catch it. However, I know from having the Deadlands films mastered the engineer would send me a copy and he would take one home to watch, but that is a small studio versus Columbia Pictures aka $ony, who might have just had the original 1999 DVD telecine re-comissioned for the Blu-Ray master and maybe it aged, but from what I can see this looks like a filter with color timing shifted towards a cooler look.

Maybe they were hoping to give it a more apocalyptic feel, but all you really have to do to get that is bring down the saturation by half. It doesn't affect brightness, contrast, just the saturation of color.

This is really out there but maybe there was a glitch in the mastering, but again someone should have QA'd this disc master before ok-ing for replication.

It could also be possible Savini and Romero agreed to this look, but in my honest opinion that is far-fetched. I don't see either of them looking at the final render and saying ok, but I have seen stranger shit happen.

TT said in their response the filmmakers could have approved this, but I don't see Columbia brining Tom or George in since this title didn't make it's budget back via theatrical, and was only a modest hit on VHS and DVD. I am sure Tom and George also would like to get paid for their time and a lot of studios don't want to pay for stuff like that, case in point TROTLD, MGM screwed Dan O'Bannon out of money from the first DVD release of that film, and when it came to doing the 20th Anniversary and Collector's edition DVD's Dan wouldn't participate until he got paid. Even Jewel shepard went on record saying she wouldn't do the interviews or the commentary with the cast because the studio wouldn't even cover travel costs. She was one of the cast who lived outside of LA.

What we do know and a majority of us agree on is that the transfer sucks and something is rotten in the state of denmark, and it ain't Romero's rotting corpses.

Also, For the record... people are also complaining about sound issues with the gunfire, and chambering of rounds. Towards the end credits when cooper runs out of ammo the sound of the gun going click click click because he is out of bullets the click is very faint.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 30-Sep-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Zombies got me
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Maybe this mistake could be attributed to something so simple as somebody feeling a bit BLU over at the color correction facilities of TT?