Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Universal Classic Monsters : The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    In time it's out-of-place, but in type it's very much in-place.

If that makes sense?
    are you like the Confucius of horror? MZ say...

i get what you mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

@Mike: Can't believe you're "meh" with the creature!
    to be honest, i have always been surprised too but for some reason that one just doesn't do it for me. i should like the film, maybe not as much as "Son of Frankenstein" or "The Mummy", but i should at least like it. movie tastes are weird sometimes, huh?

you know what is an awesome and quite creepy for its time flick that i don't think i've seen mentioned yet? "The Black Cat" i think that might have been Lugosi and Karloff's first movie together.
    Last edited by Mike70; 01-Oct-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I'm one of the biggest Universal geeks you'll ever meet. those flicks are what got me into horror and have defined it ever since.

I'm quite partial to "Son of Frankenstein", probably me fav of the lot. the original "Mummy" is great, "the Wolfman" is an outstanding film - i could go on for pages but won't.

- - - Updated - - -

it has always seemed that way to me. it was made way after most of the other flicks, is more in line with the 50's sci-fi flicks that were big drive-in faves back then. "Creature" has always been the outsider Universal movie for me. I will hardly ever pass up a chance to watch any of the Universal flicks except for "Creature", i've always been quite meh about it.
    And you did know that the 'Outsider. ' Creature From The Black Lagoon movie has been credited over the years with saving Universal during a studio financial crisis around that time? Yes? So serious props to The Gill Man are required here. He also had the coolest monster suit for the times ( actually for any times ) with Ricou Browning doing some amazing underwater work.
    And naturally there's Julia Adams who ( along with Anne Francis from Forbidden Planet ) seriously informed my libedo during my formative years with her very sexy swimsuit. Yep I got great respect for this film - though the sequels were of diminishing returns.

Wayne Z
    "This ain't no midnight horror flick or creature double feature, babe. "

the story DeadFall; Foreshadow

Ireland
    to be honest, i have always been surprised too but for some reason that one just doesn't do it for me. i should like the film, maybe not as much as "Son of Frankenstein" or "The Mummy", but i should at least like it. movie tastes are weird sometimes, huh?
    Well, there's no accounting for taste. Sure there's people on here that think I like nothing, ever...except 'Day of the Dead'.

Moonsylver...I'm looking at you young man!

you know what is an awesome and quite creepy for its time flick that i don't think i've seen mentioned yet? "The Black Cat" i think that might have been Lugosi and Karloff's first movie together.
    I saw 'The Black Cat' and 'Island of Lost Souls' as a double bill of horror on TV one night as a kid. Can't remember anything about them though, other than not wanting to go to bed until they were over.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Well, there's no accounting for taste. Sure there's people on here that think I like nothing, ever...except 'Day of the Dead'.

I saw 'The Black Cat' and 'Island of Lost Souls' as a double bill of horror on TV one night as a kid. Can't remember anything about them though, other than not wanting to go to bed until they were over.
    I don't remember seeing The Black Cat on TV in seemingly forever - don't have that one in my collection (regrettably ). I recently went on a mini binge with some of my old AMC Halloween Horror tapes. Island of Lost Soul, Bedlam and Isle of The Dead ( almost non horror Val Lewton films ) Creature From The Black Lagoon, a few Frankensteins and of course The Wolfman, followed by Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman.

The double billing I currently missing is House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula ( John Carradine in a top hat - very cool ) with scientist trying to cure vampirism long before John Neville (I Am Legend )came on the scene.

Wayne Z

United States

I don't like that.

Super Moderator

UK
    are you like the Confucius of horror? MZ say...

1)

2) The Black Cat - heard a lot of things about it, and aside from a couple of set pieces that I can appreciate, it bored me rigid. I was surprised by that and let down. Meanwhile my Dad watched it on TV as a kid, or he saw it in a movie theater on a re-run, can't remember which, and he was scared stiff by it.

Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    And you did know that the 'Outsider. ' Creature From The Black Lagoon movie has been credited over the years with saving Universal during a studio financial crisis around that time? Yes? So serious props to The Gill Man are required here. He also had the coolest monster suit for the times ( actually for any times ) with Ricou Browning doing some amazing underwater work.
    And naturally there's Julia Adams who ( along with Anne Francis from Forbidden Planet ) seriously informed my libedo during my formative years with her very sexy swimsuit. Yep I got great respect for this film - though the sequels were of diminishing returns.
    1) An interesting tidbit of info there, cool!

2) While I only saw this movie for the first time very recently, Julia Adams was gorgeous in the flick.

Super Moderator

Germany
    I'll be watching a couple of these blu-rays tonight.

Super Moderator

UK
    Here's a clip of a restoration doc about Dracula...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ucjvu63VfY&hd=1

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    At least, unlike the new Night 1990 bluray release, they won't be able to screw the colouring up
    Hey, ya never know, all these films might end up B&W after the remastering.... y'know, BLUE & WHITE!

In time it's out-of-place, but in type it's very much in-place.

If that makes sense?
    Yes, Confucius....errrr, MZ is correct.

Now THAT is how you remaster (and restore) a film. Do it right or don't do it at all. Some of these other movie companies should take note.

United States
    Turner Classic movies shows the Universal Monster movies every year.

House of Dracula (1945) is on tonight.
    "A mad scientist's experiments attract Dracula, the Wolf Man and the Frankenstein monster."

This year on Halloween they have Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Invisible Man (among others).
    http://www.tcm.com/schedule/october2012.html

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just found out that my local independent theater will be showing many of these throughout the month. Going to see The Mummy this weekend.

United States
    Oddly enough....I still do not have a blue ray player.

Not really sure what I'm waiting on at this point....Orginally, everything was way too expensive but now everything is quite affordable...

Administrator

England
    Wow! And has that been doen to all the films in this collection?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Now THAT is how you remaster (and restore) a film. Do it right or don't do it at all. Some of these other movie companies should take note.
    Darn tootin' ... a fantastic recent example is Jaws - the blu-ray of that looks incredibly good. Absolutely fantastic - but also, just as importantly - they included the original 2.0 audio along with the new 7.1 audio (I prefer the former, personally). Picture wise it's just gorgeous - there's a doc about how they restored it, and it was fascinating to see how they do such a process, and it was great to see the sheer amount of love and attention lavished on the film. A true restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Oddly enough....I still do not have a blue ray player.

Not really sure what I'm waiting on at this point....Orginally, everything was way too expensive but now everything is quite affordable...
    I've been into blu-ray for a couple of years now and have slowly been building my collection. It's a must-move for folks like me who are all about special features, because it's mostly par-for-the-course that the Blu-Ray version has all the extras, while the DVD gets shafted with a couple of things. For example, the up-coming 3-disc Blu-Ray (not the "standard blu-ray") of Prometheus has seven hours of extras, while the DVD only has the deleted scenes.

You can also get some gorgeous restorations, but there are some flicks that just get chucked out there too, but I'm glad I upgraded. I can upscale my large DVD collection, but now also benefit from blu-ray which - as you say - is now at a standard price. Here in the UK you'll find a new release DVD at £10 while the Blu-Ray equivalent will be £15 (sometimes cheaper, sometimes pricier, depending on the situation), so particularly now there's not really the 'premium price' argument going against it anymore. You can even pick up a BR player quite cheap these days too.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow! And has that been doen to all the films in this collection?
    Erm, I assume so. Not specifically informed on that, but follow the Blu-Ray.com link I posted a few posts back and you'll find info on the restoration quality of each flick there.

England
    Just taken the plunge and bought the Limited Edition. Very nice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Cl...9287714&sr=8-2

The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA