Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Universal Classic Monsters : The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Oddly enough....I still do not have a blue ray player.

Not really sure what I'm waiting on at this point....Orginally, everything was way too expensive but now everything is quite affordable...
    To be honest Clean, unless you have a tele that's over 40", you probably won't notice that much difference between a Blu and a DVD.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Just found out that my local independent theater will be showing many of these throughout the month. Going to see The Mummy this weekend.

please take this as the kind hearted gesture it is: fuck you, man and your local theatre, the horse they rode in on, the dude who trained the horse and the guy who bred the horse.

that's sheer jealousy talking there. seems like every other month that place has something uber cool. we used to have a place like that and now we don't so
    Last edited by Mike70; 03-Oct-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: f
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Darn tootin' ... a fantastic recent example is Jaws - the blu-ray of that looks incredibly good. Absolutely fantastic - but also, just as importantly - they included the original 2.0 audio along with the new 7.1 audio (I prefer the former, personally). Picture wise it's just gorgeous - there's a doc about how they restored it, and it was fascinating to see how they do such a process, and it was great to see the sheer amount of love and attention lavished on the film. A true restoration.
    Yes, that is a prime example of how a restoration/remastering for HD should be done. I've seen FAR too many standard def DVD masters just get slapped onto BR discs and they call it "high def"

Yeah, ok.

Hence why I will never just go out and buy a BR disc until I've either seen it myself or read a glowing review about the transfer (no so worried about their review of the movie).

PS - The shark is still working!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 03-Oct-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Oddly enough....I still do not have a blue ray player.

Not really sure what I'm waiting on at this point....Orginally, everything was way too expensive but now everything is quite affordable...
    Only reason's I bought one was
    A) the players can be had for under $100 now,
    B) to take advantage of all the deals that pop up on Blu discs (just scored "Hatchet II" for $7.50 the other night at Walmart! Same w/ "House of 1000 Corpses" & "Devils Rejects" a few months back)
    C) Revenge. One more step on my long road of total "fuck you" to the ex, since I can afford one & she can't.

Administrator

England
    This is only £36 at Amazon Uk at the moment - Very tempted!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    This is only £36 at Amazon Uk at the moment - Very tempted!
    Thats the standard edition Neil. Go for it.

Started working my way through this with the Dracula blu first. The PQ is phenomenal for the age of the movie and to put it into context this was made not long after silent movies were being phased out and "talkies" were being introduced. Been through Dracula twice. Once with commentary and without. The commentary is great. Very matter of fact but is full of info. Gonna watch the Spanish version tonight which was shot at the same time using the same set and is supposed to be the superior movie.
    A great set.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    ^^ My treat (to myself) as a young kid, was to go upto bed, and stay up late to watch these old B&W horror movies on BBC2 in my bedroom! Loved them!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    just a heads up: "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein" are being shown as a double feature weds. night at 7pm. cinemas all over the country are having showings. It is sponsored by TCM.

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics...FegWMgodIDAAaQ

there is a link on this page to places in each state that are showing the double feature.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    just a heads up: "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein" are being shown as a double feature weds. night at 7pm. cinemas all over the country are having showings. It is sponsored by TCM.

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics...FegWMgodIDAAaQ

there is a link on this page to places in each state that are showing the double feature.
    Yep, taking my family to see it on Wednesday. Should be a blast.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Yep, taking my family to see it on Wednesday. Should be a blast.
    Last night was great. TCM did an excellent job with the whole thing.

the old saying that a you've never seen a movie until you've seen it on the big screen is true as ever. I've seen "Frankenstein" a million times on tiv but last night i actually saw it for the first time. great performances jump off the screen. the intensity of Colin Clive and Boris Karloff's performances are both revealed in ways the tv cannot convey. the other thing lost on tv is the cinematography and the way that it is used to make the monster look huge on the screen. the iconic scene where the monster backs into the room, turns and is revealed for the first time has a much greater impact because of the way it was shot to overwhelm the screen. i could go on and on but won't.

"Bride" was a blast too. much lighter in tone than the first movie.

Administrator

England
    I'm getting so many flash backs to my childhood here. I LOVED going to bed on a Saturday night knowing a few hours later they'd be showing one or two of these classic old films. I'd wait in my bedroom, passing the time, until around midnight the film(s) would start and I'd secretly watch them on the TV in my room... loving every minute of them!

Happy times!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Last night was great. TCM did an excellent job with the whole thing.

the old saying that a you've never seen a movie until you've seen it on the big screen is true as ever. I've seen "Frankenstein" a million times on tiv but last night i actually saw it for the first time. great performances jump off the screen. the intensity of Colin Clive and Boris Karloff's performances are both revealed in ways the tv cannot convey. the other thing lost on tv is the cinematography and the way that it is used to make the monster look huge on the screen. the iconic scene where the monster backs into the room, turns and is revealed for the first time has a much greater impact because of the way it was shot to overwhelm the screen. i could go on and on but won't.

"Bride" was a blast too. much lighter in tone than the first movie.
    Agreed, TCM did a great job. We really enjoyed both movies. Although I couldn't help but giggle during the blind hermit scene in Bride because I couldn't get Gene Hackman's spoof in Young Frankenstein out of my mind.

England
    I don't know if anyone here has watched Dracula recently but its a very very rough movie. There were rumours that the director was drunk/absent at the helm and it shows. The step up in quality to Frankenstein is remarkable when you watch one after the other.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I don't know if anyone here has watched Dracula recently but its a very very rough movie. There were rumours that the director was drunk/absent at the helm and it shows. The step up in quality to Frankenstein is remarkable when you watch one after the other.
    Aye, I didn't get around to Dracula for a good while (but I'd seen the likes of Frankenstein years prior), and once I'd seen it I thought "this is what all the fuss was about?!" - there's numerous good parts to the movie, but overall it's pretty shonky. James Whale's a ruddy master of the universal monster movies. I'm in agreement with you about the step-up in quality when Frankenstein rolled around.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Best part of Dracula?

"Dracula is in the house!"

[Chorus]"In the house!?"