Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you say...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The thing with the characters in Fight Club is that they don't particularly like the situation they're in/the world they're living in (e.g. Norton's character's world of Ikea furniture and office drone drudgery), and they don't particularly like themselves. They feel numb to the world, or they feel let down by it, or they feel totally lost - but Fight Club comes along and, as they say in the flick, they find something in themselves and in other people, that they can respond to - everyone's on a level-playing field, and they're exerting the primal male need for violence, or the effects that violence produce inside you.

Then it turns into a sort of revenge plot against modern society that gets out-of-hand.
    Yeah, I suppose I get it, but I just hated that the whole thing was built on this bedrock of upper-middle class, non-specifically dissatisfied, first-world problems bullshit, the characters were either cardboard cutouts (deliberately, I'll grant you) or just plain unlikeable. Ultimately, the movie has no plight I could identify with, no one or nothing I could relate to or care about. If the point of the.film was to make me feel the dissociation and dissatisfaction of Norris character, then that's the only sense in which it worked for me.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 19-Oct-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Yeah, I suppose I get it, but I just hated that the whole thing was built on this bedrock of upper-middle class, non-specifically dissatisfied, first-world problems bullshit, the characters were either cardboard cutouts (deliberately, I'll grant you) or just plain unlikeable. Ultimately, the movie has no plight I could identify with, no one or nothing I could relate to or care about. If the point of the.film was to make me feel the dissociation and dissatisfaction of Norris character, then that's the only sense in which it worked for me.
    I.Hate.Everything. = I identified w/ the plight & the characters just fine!