Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When one door closes, another opens...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

When one door closes, another opens...

I'm going back to school (again) and am going to pursue another of my passions. whether that will be geology or astronomy yet, i haven't decided. but i'm out of here (the Treasury Dept.) and to be honest, in my heart i was only marking time here anyway waiting for that change in the wind that i feel about every 7-10 years or so. well, the winds not just changed its blowing at hurricane force.

i can no longer work in a system where mediocrity is the measure of success and independent, creative thinking is shouted down or avoided. some of the other group supervisors and I (the other 3 with imaginations, critical thinking skills and don't feel the need to hold Washington's balls) find ourselves literally at war most of the time here. i'm sick of it. I thought that taking this job would help serve the Republic further as I did while in the military. it has led to nothing but frustration, anger, and complete disillusionment with the Federal govt. and has pushed me even farther into the State's Rights camp.

so it is either volcanology or interferometry (particular the search for new planets) for me. maybe if do go into astronomy and start helping to find other worlds i'll name one them Homepageofthedeadia. i don't think the IAU would go for that but it would be funny.
    Last edited by Mike70; 11-Oct-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Congrats on the change up, Mike. Definitely keep us up to date on what you're thinking of doing, annnnd if you go Vulcanologist, try and give us a tip off when that Yellowstone super volcano is about to go.

Also, pics of any hot co-eds you meet along your educational journey are much appreciated

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Good luck with it Mike! I'm feeling exactly the same myself at the moment, desperate for a change of job. I'm currently appealing the medical barring me from entry to the forces so hopefully if that goes through it will open several doors for me.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I'm going back to school (again) and am going to pursue another of my passions. whether that will be geology or astronomy yet, i haven't decided.
    Well, you seem to have a thing for protecting copper and pennies, so I think that makes your choice clear...

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    if you go Vulcanologist, try and give us a tip off when that Yellowstone super volcano is about to go.
    ^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Also, pics of any hot co-eds you meet along your educational journey are much appreciated
    ^ This too!!

United States
    Good luck bro. Glad to see somebody take the plunge at moving into something they love. I think astronomy would be a good fit just based on what I know about you. Plus this planet is fooked, so someone needs to find us a bail out! Also, I want a planet named "MoonSylvicus" or "Planet of The Kinky Nympho Space Sex Kittens". Thank you.

Ireland
    Good luck lad, never settle, life's too bloody short...

...I can't help but think of a Rob Schneider film though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    I'd love to change career, but unfortunately I need to ensure I bring the £££££ ($$$$$) in
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'd love to change career, but unfortunately I need to ensure I bring the £££££ ($$$$$) in
    for a variety of reasons, i really don't have to worry about that. thanks grandpa!

anyway, i'm getting disability from the VA now and they are going to pay for most of the cost of going back to school.

so, i've left the zoo at the federal bldg. and am going to enjoy day time tv until the next semester starts.

Undisclosed
    Best of luck to you. Brave move. Too many people end up in a rut and are scared to make changes.
    To say it with Bowie: turn and face the strange.

Courage!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Don't we all. That's why it's so exciting when someone can actually DO it. Now if Mikey can just start banging Super Models then we can all live vicariously through him.

enjoy day time tv
    Those words don't belong together.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Don't we all. That's why it's so exciting when someone can actually DO it. Now if Mikey can just start banging Super Models then we can all live vicariously through him.
    nah. it's not like that. it's about being able to have more choices. i hate the social class i was born into with a passion - all of them that i don't share a last name with can go to hell and be tormented by driders forever as far as i'm concerned.

i rather enjoy the genetic side of it though. we age very slowly and live forever. i'm 42 and am regularly mistaken for someone much younger. i also feel much younger and recuperate very fast from things. we hardly ever get sick either. people regularly trip 90 or even triple digits in my father's family. i've had 5 people in family live past 100. one of my aunts lived in 3 different centuries for frak's sake (1898-2002). so on the downside, it looks like i'm probably stuck here for a bit longer.

i guess that's why i've always been drawn to the Numenoreans in Lord of the Rings.

Undisclosed
    it looks like i'm probably stuck here for a bit longer.

i guess that's why i've always been drawn to the Numenoreans in Lord of the Rings.
    Watch out for Hubris man!

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    "The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing."

United States
    Awesome Mike!! Good luck and hit those books!!

And if the grades slip at all you could always just sleep with the professor. . . .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    "The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing."

great quote. that's fucking outstanding. "when they come, form a circle with our backs to one another."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    arrogance has already cost me enough in this life. i think i've learned that lesson. humility before nature is the way i live now.

i could be run over by a drunk driver tonight and that would be that. nothing is guaranteed.

if the large hawk that lives in a tree in my backyard (squirrels cross my yard at their peril) ever flies away in disgust, i'll know i've fucked up. sorry, but i don't have an eagle living near me. you got to be deep Lord of the Rings folk to get that one.