Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the best ways to leave a job

United States

One of the best ways to leave a job

Ok, this is funny. I found this email buried in one of my email boxes and I just had to share it.

You must view this post in a full screen window on your computer. It won't make sense otherwise, trust me.

Ok, so, a bit of back story: A good friend of mine I worked for the same biotech company for 10 years. During the end of year 8, we were bought out by a Swiss company who will remain nameless because, well, I hate those sons of bitches. They bought our company and promised us that we would become their "center of operations for the United States" - only to find out a few months later they were shutting us down a year later and kicking 200+ employees to the curb.

On his last day of work, my friend sent this email out to everyone in the company - from the CEO, to the Vice Presidents, the Directors, etc. all the way down to the lowest person on the totem pole. I had to decrease the size of the font to format it properly. Sorry, but necessary.

Take a read:

Sadly, this is my last day as an employee. These past 10 years have given me a lot of good memories. No
    crying, this is not good bye forever, but a see you later. I am sure I will bump into a few of you in the future.
    Remember this time we had together as a road that we shared, but as we all know all roads eventually
    end, and we need to head off onto new adventures. The friendships that were formed over these past years
    will always be remembered. As I swipe my ID card for the last time, the door to [company name] will close but
    you all will be in my thoughts. This reminds me of a quote from George Carlin “There's no present. There's
    only the immediate future and the recent past.”

Until we meet again

Seems like a nice heartfelt letter, right?

Well, there was a hidden message for the "suits" of the company - take another read, and allow me to highlight the important parts....

Sadly, this is my last day as an employee. These past 10 years have given me a lot of good memories. No
    crying, this is not good bye forever, but a see you later. I am sure I will bump into a few of you in the future.
    Remember this time we had together as a road that we shared, but as we all know all roads eventually
    end, and we need to head off onto new adventures. The friendships that were formed over these past years
    will always be remembered. As I swipe my ID card for the last time, the door to [company name] will close but
    you all will be in my thoughts. This reminds me of a quote from George Carlin “There's no present. There's
    only the immediate future and the recent past.”

Until we meet again

Last edited by LouCipherr; 13-Oct-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: .

United States
    genius

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    the best way to leave job say to your boss that u want to learn something else

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvin067 View Post
    the best way to leave job say to your boss that u want to learn something else
    Where's the fun in that?

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    The best way to leave the job stop doing work.

Undisclosed
    I am leaving my job. I gave less than 3 weeks notice yesterday. I may leave that note.
    Last edited by slickwilly13; 29-Mar-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: error

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's all good and fun when you have a job, but when you're unemployed through no fault of your own it's horrible. These days people need to count their employment as a blessing.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's all good and fun when you have a job, but when you're unemployed through no fault of your own it's horrible. These days people need to count their employment as a blessing.
    Man, everyday I'm thankful, and for who knows how much longer? I'm seriously looking into options for second careers and going back to school for a completely new direction, at this point. I can't count on my current employers being around for too much longer.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's pretty much what happened to us. Kicked to the curb after 10 years of employment and promises of being the "hub" for the United States for this Swiss company. I full well intended to stay there until I retired, but nooooooooooooooo... Those bozos had to come in and ruin everything.

Unfortunately, I work in the biotech/biopharma field. This field is notorious for small companies selling out to (or being bought up by) larger ones. In fact, the place I'm working for now is a start-up biotech company which, if things go right with their current product, we will probably be sold to a much larger biopharma company in, I would guesstimate, about 5-10 years. Guess who'll be looking for a job then (again!)? Most of the time, these buyouts and mergers don't allow for the retention of previously employed people.

It sucks, but this is the reality of the situation for people in this field. The worst part is, finding that next job. In my OP, that company kicked 200+ people to the street. Well, all 200 of them are looking for the same positions in the same state at the same time you are, which makes for a LOT of competition. And being in Quality Assurance? In the Biotech field? That is such a narrow field of expertise, it's hard to find another matching position with another company. Many people think that QA can be something that covers 'across the board' from pharmaceuticals to the food industry to anywhere where 'Quality' is essential. Unfortunately, that's not the case. It's a very specialized, narrow field of work. If you work for a biotech company in QA, you're rarely if not ever going to land a job doing QA for, let's say, a food company or a auto manufacturer (unless you have previous experience in these fields). It just doesn't work that way. Different rules & skill sets separate these positions sharply.

Ugh.. i'm not looking forward to that time again. That'll be twice I've been laid off of jobs I would gladly stay at 'till I retire. Not much you can do but bite the bullet and roll with the punches. Something just as good comes along eventually, it's just a matter of if you can handle the amount down-time without employment.

FYI, it took me 13 months to find another job in my field after my layoff described in the original post. Thirteen months.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Mar-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

Unfortunately, I work in the biotech/biopharma field. This field is notorious for small companies selling out to (or being bought up by) larger ones. In fact, the place I'm working for now is a start-up biotech company which, if things go right with their current product, we will probably be sold to a much larger biopharma company in, I would guesstimate, about 5-10 years. Guess who'll be looking for a job then (again!)? Most of the time, these buyouts and mergers don't allow for the retention of previously employed people.
    That sucks, Lou!

And because it's all privately funded start ups they don't even try and pass some small token piece of the pie onto the workers when the original owners sell out, eh? Is buyout severance out of the question in such cases in your field, Lou?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    That sucks, Lou!

And because it's all privately funded start ups they don't even try and pass some small token piece of the pie onto the workers when the original owners are sell out, eh? Is buyout severance out of the question in such cases in your field, Lou?

Yeah, it does suck, but what can you do? Such is life in the biotech/biopharma world. We're always moving around because none of these companies ever stick around for too long. They develop a drug or a production process for a drug, then sell it for mega-bucks to some monster conglomerate company. They make out like bandits and the employees pay the price.

Buyout severance - well, the company in my original post did do something that helped a little. I had been employed there for 10 years, so they offered us this little deal: if we stayed with the company until the day the doors closed, we would get 1 week of pay for every year we worked there, along with some small bonuses supplied by our one remaining client for staying on and finishing their project. I did. I got 10 weeks severance pay as well as a small bonus from said client because I stayed on 'till the last day.

While that's nice and all, 10 weeks of pay doesn't help carry you through for thirteen months of unemployment, which is how long I was out of work. And unemployment in my state is a flippin' joke - the amount they were willing to give me almost couldn't pay the grocery bill in my house every month (4 people living in our house, one 16 year old who could eat us all into the poor house! ). But at least it's something - and that's better than nothing.

There is one shining star in this bleak sky with my current employer. The offer stock options to all employees. Now, if I was smart and had the money, I'd buy all of them up as quickly as I could. We're currently in Clinical Phase III trials (ie: it's being put into people now, and results seems to be very positive) and if this does get approved by the FDA for commercial use, the stock price will jump from less than a dollar a share to possibly $30-50 a share. I could stand to make a really nice profit - but, the problem is, I don't have that kind of $ to invest in the stock options and it's not like you can just buy 20 shares and be done. They offer them in like 1000 share chunks and they have to be purchased all at once or not at all. If I could afford it and bought all of them and the stock went way up when the drug is approved I could retire permanently and live off that $ 'till I croaked. Problem is, that's a LOT of "if's" and I'm not that kind of risk taker, nor do I have that kind of cash flow up front to take those kinds of risks.

Dammit, how come I don't have a rich uncle on the verge of croaking?! It would make things a lot easier!!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Mar-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: corrected spelling atrocities

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    There is one shining star in this bleak sky with my current employer. The offer stock options to all employees. Now, if I was smart and had the money, I'd buy all of them up as quickly as I could. We're currently in Clinical Phase III trials (ie: it's being put into people now, and results seems to be very positive) and if this does get approved by the FDA for commercial use, the stock price will jump from less than a dollar a share to possibly $30-50 a share. I could stand to make a really nice profit - but, the problem is, I don't have that kind of $ to invest in the stock options and it's not like you can just buy 20 shares and be done. They offer them in like 1000 share chunks and they have to be purchased all at once or not at all. If I could afford it and bought all of them and the stock went way up when the drug is approved I could retire permanently and live off that $ 'till I croaked. Problem is, that's a LOT of "if's" and I'm not that kind of risk taker, nor do I have that kind of cash flow up front to take those kinds of risks.

Dammit, how come I don't have a rich uncle on the verge of croaking?! It would make things a lot easier!!
    rich grandparents are better. they are in your direct line of descent. esp. so when you are the oldest male in the next generation of a family that does things the old way.

part of my comfortable existence revolves around stock. i dumped about $10,000 i saved while in the army into Fifth/Third bank, one of the largest banks in this region. then i sat back and watched it fight off two hostile takeover attempts. the stock split like 3 times and when i sold out (to the bank) i had made a nice bundle of money. thank you and goodbye to stock speculation. got away with it once, that probably won't happen again.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    rich grandparents are better. they are in your direct line of descent. esp. so when you are the oldest male in the next generation of a family that does things the old way.
    Well, I hope I have a rich uncle out there that I'm not aware of that's getting ready to leave me his fortune.

Oh, if only...

England
    Best not to burn your bridges when leaving a job...never know when you may have to go crawling back.

That said, if you are totally intent on some bridge burning action, buy a can of that nasty fart spray and totally empty it as you leave the building.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 29-Mar-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Hmm. The old "curl off a shit on my boss's desk" technique has always worked for me.