Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Physicists May Have Evidence the Universe is a Computer Simulation

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Yeah, where are my rocket boots and my pet dragon you ass-holes!
    there are pet dragons?? i've wanted one of those for years but Danny convinced me that they weren't real. he's been keeping the dragon trade to himself. a snoopy fist shake in his general direction.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I thought I had good drugs.

England
    Ah, but it's not infinite you see, dear boy.

The universe is finite. It's expanding into nothing and creating something as it goes. For nothing, don't read space, read Nothing. No time, no dimensions, NOTHING. The blast wave of the Big Bang is the act of creation on the move.

Here's the rub. The data suggests that there are many more dimensions than we are aware of - Expressed by the Calabi-Yau shape, pictured. That's the small ones... my mind boggles, so don't worry if yours does too.

On a larger scale, the universe is not infinite because it is governed by the speed of light. Apparently it will run full circle and disappear up its own arrse at some point. A dimensional issue. When it does, time will end. So it has a time budget and a Speed of Light governor.

So. Were you to fly at full pelt until the end of time, the universe would end and so would time. You would be left in a void with no reference points.... effectively right back where you started. Nowhere at all in relation to anywhere else and because time had ended too, you wouldn't have spent any time doing it because time would no longer be a commodity.

The concept of infinity, viewed like this, becomes pretty manageable I think. It's the concept of NOTHING that's the head fuck.

NOTHING exploded with such violence.

Everything you see as 'something' is just energy and will eventually return to that state. 'Nothing'.

And when it becomes nothing it will never have existed. Even if it happens again. Far out, huh?
    Nicked from another forum where I posted that link, makes the head pop!

Super Moderator

Germany
    I love PKD's brand of madness:

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I love PKD's brand of madness...
    I love PKD's stuff, even some of his cheesier super-1950s twilight-zone style stories, like the one where protagonist meets his end in a giant alien frying pan ().

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

Germany
    Hey Ace, do you know what PKD fans call themselves? Dickheads! Awesome.

Super Moderator

United States
    Hey Ace, do you know what PKD fans call themselves? Dickheads! Awesome.
    I do really like some of his stuff, but don't know if I'd go that far...maybe just consider me a Dick enthusiast.

Edit: So sorry for derailing this otherwise interesting thread!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I keep waiting for telekinesis or something else great to show an advancement in the human race but instead we backpedal and acknowledge some retarded hypothesis as a possibility.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I keep waiting for telekinesis or something else great to show an advancement in the human race but instead we backpedal and acknowledge some retarded hypothesis as a possibility.
    I knew we would get one of you out of the woodwork. Welcome to the asylum, Mr. Clean.

United States
    I knew we would get one of you out of the woodwork. Welcome to the asylum, Mr. Clean.
    I went to work yesterday thinking about this majority of the day. I came to the conclusion that if we are really stuck in simulation then our only hope is to force communication with the 3 dimensional printer attached to the computer running this show. It's the only way to escape the simulation and cut ourselves free of our these limits. Now, how we do that may seem to be a difficult or nearly impossible task but I predict that it could be as easy as hitting a nuclear warhead with a hammer. So in theory, the Japanese were the first humans out of this damn simulation and perhaps the very first creature was some a prairie dog or rattlesnake hanging out in the deserts of New Mexico during the first nuclear test.

I believe the diameter of my baldspot just doubled in size.....
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 24-Oct-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: ....

United States
    So wondering, is there more on this than the brief article?

Remember in the Matrix when Neo is set free and mentions to Morpheus about, I believe it was a strain on his eyes or something of that nature, and Morpheus's response is that he's finally seeing the world as it really is?
    Well, I've noticed lately and in the past that my eyes ache at certain times. I don't know. Maybe it's sinuses, or maybe it's my contacts. I don't know. Maybe I'm the one.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Haha, wow... Dude... Like, it's so true... But hey, don't forget... Like, Poe spotted this first, man. 'All that we see or seem, is but a dream, within a dream'.
    Y'know? It's so damn true. I love Poe. He made me an existentialist in fifth grade. Gotta give thanks.
    Anyhow, what does it matter anyway? Enjoy life while you can, for any second it may end.
    My thoughts.

United States
    01010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101 01010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101 0101010
    Last edited by jded; 15-Nov-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: 010101010101010
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

Super Moderator

Germany
    This sounds a lot like what Mike was talking about:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50232422...ience-science/

Administrator

England
    Fascinating stuff isn't it.

But I don't understand how we can determine we're in a simulation!? Indeed, what's to say we're not even a simulation within a simulation etc!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan