Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UMD's being phased out.

Fiji

UMD's being phased out.

Trying to back track an article.

aparently Sony finally dropped a press release indicating that they are no longer going to be producing UMD's by Q4 2006. and will switch over to stick memory to supply movies to the unit. (i suspect this will tie into their download services). anyways i'm trying to locate the press release or a new article encapsulating it.

anyone seen this?

United States
    I found this article:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060713-7258.html

Hopefully that's what you were looking for .

Fiji
    that'll do. thanks.

Super Moderator

UK
    UMD can kiss my rosy white ass, what an utterly, unbelievably retarded format. Who the hell wants to watch a widescreen, BIG extravaganza like Lord of the Rings on a piffling little screen the size of your palm with speakers the size of peanuts.

Surely it's dumb-dumb obvious (especially with not being able to play the discs on standard DVD players) that in this day and age of home cinemas that UMD was going to be the black sheep of movie disc tech, lol.

$ony - idiots.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i cant say im surprised.

*que image of sony going down to the noise of a plane crashing*

gizmondo anyone?

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    UMD can kiss my rosy white ass, what an utterly, unbelievably retarded format. Who the hell wants to watch a widescreen, BIG extravaganza like Lord of the Rings on a piffling little screen the size of your palm with speakers the size of peanuts.

Surely it's dumb-dumb obvious (especially with not being able to play the discs on standard DVD players) that in this day and age of home cinemas that UMD was going to be the black sheep of movie disc tech, lol.

$ony - idiots.

yes and no. i like the format. the discs a hard as hell to damage, and if you haven't see the screen on a psp in a non-retail enviroment, don't knock it. I'm content with the PSP's price tag just for it's video features. to me the fact it plays games is pure gravy.

in truth what killed the UMD format was A the lack of a home UMD/PSP player, and the overall price. $25-20 bucks for a single video simply wasn't worth it. hence why i buy mine used from Gamestop, or eBay.

Craptacular pics from my cammy phone at werk.

far

close
    Last edited by p2501; 17-Jul-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My buddy's got DOTD 78 for his PSP and, in my opinion, it's really great looking. Colors are great and the clarity is so good on that screen. I guess it's kinda like having a mini HDTV.

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff
    My buddy's got DOTD 78 for his PSP and, in my opinion, it's really great looking. Colors are great and the clarity is so good on that screen. I guess it's kinda like having a mini HDTV.

ahahaha, i'm watching that right now.

look one post up.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

$ony - idiots.
    My thoughts exactly.

DVD's work fine. And on a screen larger than a "Post It" note!

Super Moderator

UK
    hahaha, doing the two most important things you can ever do - watching Dawn and reading MY posts.

It's not the quality of the picture I'm complaining about, it's the dinky size. I want a movie on a big screen, anything less than 20 inches just isn't worth it to me ... lol ... and now the floodgate of penis and/or gay jokes opens...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    anything less than 20 inches just isn't worth it to me ... lol ... and now the floodgate of penis and/or gay jokes opens...
    *raises hand opens gob to speak but decides its better not too*

Fiji
    hahaha, doing the two most important things you can ever do - watching Dawn and reading MY posts.

It's not the quality of the picture I'm complaining about, it's the dinky size. I want a movie on a big screen, anything less than 20 inches just isn't worth it to me ... lol ... and now the floodgate of penis and/or gay jokes opens...

fair point but at 20 inches you loose alot of portability. it's the reason i try not to lug around a laptop with me. so to that end the picture quality and size on the psp is absolutely kick ass.

Canada
    umd always reminded me of beta max, sony and there own formats.

this only gices fuel of a total flash psp down the road and doing away with the umd altogether. also on a side note, if not mistaken the recordable umds sony promised never hit the market.

United States
    Well in the short term UMD disk prices should fall as the stores sell off their inventory. If there are movies like Dawn 78 you want now is a good time to find them.

Fiji
    bingo. i've been waiting for this to happen.

on the flip side the i expect the prices for flash memory to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by general tbag
    umd always reminded me of beta max, sony and there own formats.

this only gices fuel of a total flash psp down the road and doing away with the umd altogether. also on a side note, if not mistaken the recordable umds sony promised never hit the market.
    fair enough. but most companies have their own propritary formats now days. look at digital cameras, how many of them offer cross compatable media?

Propritary fromats are perhaps the weakest way manufacturers lock in customers to their brand.
    Last edited by p2501; 18-Jul-2006 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost