Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x03 "Walk With Me" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing401 View Post
    But my wife and I do agree that it would certainly be one hell of a twist to have Merle help Michonne and Andrea escape the Governor, since most fans, including us, automatically assumed Merle would be one of the main bad guys in Season 3.
    I thought the same thing. I even had a Darth Vader style daydream where he, at the last moment, grabs the Governor in a bear hug and bellows, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
    And throws him down into a pit with hungry zombehs.

Also:
    Maybe Merle was more sympathetic with Andrea because she was white. Maybe if T Dog would've been in the same situation, and told Merle his brother had been bit, maybe, just maybe he wouldn't have given a rat's ass.
    But, then again, maybe Merle's just a big old softie. Who knows?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    After only one full episode with her? Seriously, man?....
    Yes. The sooner the better.

England
    Don't forget the only time we've seen Merle before he's been coked out of his mind.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    he was also rolling with lots of heisenberg's blue sky....

Dead

United States
    I wonder what it was then that Merle and Milton were working on in the lab? Whatever it was, Merle was helping himself to it. It was their "assignment". And Milton says that "your dog is already eating it".

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I wonder what it was then that Merle and Milton were working on in the lab? Whatever it was, Merle was helping himself to it. It was their "assignment". And Milton says that "your dog is already eating it".
    Maybe they're experimenting with feeding the walkers beef treats? Perhaps Merle doesn't half mind a can of it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm pretty sure the "dog is eating my homework" jab was just picking on Merle because he was getting on Milton's nerves. The assignment was the study of Michonne's pets. Milton also then mentions that Merle was about to light a cigarette, which is a problem for any lab.

So yeah, I don't think it was any hidden agenda. Just the two characters taking jabs at each other and The Governor puts them in their place.

Evilned - Unless they really change it up from the comics, you'd better get used to her. It seems a bit premature to completely hate the character after only one episode, imo. It took nearly two seasons to set up the other characters. Hell, most people hated Daryl Dixon in the first season and now he's a fan favorite.
    Last edited by bassman; 31-Oct-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm with bassman, I remember the groans about Merle and Daryl when they were first introduced, them both written off as one-dimensional redneck stereotypes who were potentially a total danger to the group (Daryl's their guardian angel now). Merle's become a love-to-hate-him legend, and Daryl is utterly indispensible with the fanbase now - he's awesome.

I do agree that Michonne is over-doing the scowling a bit - it's not exactly subtle. When you're weaponless, you'd be wanting to not give away anything, even via facial expressions, regarding your attitude to your new surroundings that are controlled by dozens of other people - total stranges who could be horrible people for all you know. A blanker expression would be more suitable perhaps.

She does feel like comics Michonne in terms of directness though. Michonne often had a scowl on generally as a default setting too (she's very quiet and serious in the comic).

United States
    Even though I spoke early about my dislike of another military incompetance scene in a zombie film. I will absolutely give this show a pass. An advisor would still be a good investment not just on military aspects but on weapon handling in general. I can shoot really good but when I think of scene's like when the prison yard was taken I have to cringe. Head shots on moving targets from a tower with a handgun or through a fence......well its just a tad much. But this is the best television I've ever enjoyed. I believe they have done an amazing job at developing characters. I care much more about this group than our survivors at the Monroeville mall. Heck I hate the Gov, in one episode, more than the antogonist bikers from Dawn.

I really think this series has be come the creme of the crop as far as zombies go. I cant imagine sitting in a theater again and enjoying the zombie apocolypse as its being presented here.

Administrator

England
    I Gotta admit, when i first saw the governor would be played by some David Morrissey, i thought it was a really lame choice because im so familiar with the governor from the comics and novel so i thought, as an actor, he has not got the look or personality to pull this off.. so i went into episode 3 with the bar set pretty low and a expectation for disappointment.

Boy was i wrong! the guy is brilliant as the governor, he nailed it so perfectly! i was surprised and really really enjoyed the episode. i cannot wait to see more of this!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Even though I spoke early about my dislike of another military incompetance scene in a zombie film. I will absolutely give this show a pass. An advisor would still be a good investment not just on military aspects but on weapon handling in general. I can shoot really good but when I think of scene's like when the prison yard was taken I have to cringe. Head shots on moving targets from a tower with a handgun or through a fence......well its just a tad much. But this is the best television I've ever enjoyed. I believe they have done an amazing job at developing characters. I care much more about this group than our survivors at the Monroeville mall. Heck I hate the Gov, in one episode, more than the antogonist bikers from Dawn.

I really think this series has be come the creme of the crop as far as zombies go. I cant imagine sitting in a theater again and enjoying the zombie apocolypse as its being presented here.
    Agreeing with facestabber. A trained military unit that has survived at least as long as the show's main characters would not so easily be outmaneuvered/outflanked by citizen miltia I'd think. With the sound of the first round being fired they'd all hit the deck or otherwise take cover, not just stand there to be slaughtered.

Also agreeing that the Anne Oakley pistol shots from the prison tower was a stretch... a long long stretch.

@MinionZombie: Michonne's skowl is just her normal facial expression much like my current girlfriend's face and also my ex-wife's.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 31-Oct-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Twitching

United States
    Just an aside from a non-comic reader of that version of TWD:
    Sometimes I feel fortunate I never happened upon the comics before TWD made it to the TV screen. Which is weird for me to say, because regarding movies based on books I'm a confirmed "Read the book before you watch the movie" kind of guy 99.9% of the time. However, it just seems like the comparison/contrast of episodes between their comic issue equivalents becomes as much a focus of attention for the comic readers as what actually happens onscreen.

I can totally get the noting differences between the comics and episodes, but the desire to have the show be as close a direct media transfer as possible just seems (to me, which is a bias of my own admittedly) rather confining. Now if one can evaluate a deviation from comics canon in the show for what it is, and judge it based on its own merits or lack thereof all well and good. I got to thinking about this because unlike a 2hour 1-shot movie, a TV show is a much more organic medium that often grows FAR beyond its source material. (Example: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Not pointing it out for its quality, just how radically different it grew than the very shallow movie it was based on.)

It would seem, from my outsider's perspective that comic fans would want the best of both worlds. Beloved character depictions and unique/pivotal events in the story they cherished in its comic media, and the ability to be surprised and thus retaining the pleasure of being able to speculate as to future events. That seems to be how many people view TWD show, I just find it remarkable because I don't understand the view when it comes to the more rigid comparisons of TV episode to comic material, as if the comic was the "One True Way" so to speak.

The third season so far has been incredible as to how they've managed to pack so much detail and nuance into such swiftly paced material. I was very on the fence when it came to the idea of alternating between mainly focusing on Michonne/Andrea Vs. mainly focusing on Rick and Co. at the prison, but its a gamble that seems to be paying off in a big way so far. I just hope that the pacing remains equivalent in both environments, because Woodbury is positively LITTERED with Season 2 Farm-like momentum-slowing potential. For instance, if they were to keep up the Governor's mysterious forays out of Woodbury to do his dirty deeds and then come home and sell his masses his version of events, there would be a great (possible) temptation for writers to want to expand upon (and thus lengthen) the process of Andrea and to a lesser extent Michonne discovering the "True Governor" and acting accordingly.

As much as the drawn out hesitance in the shots of Rick & Lori talking (or rather Lori talking and Rick standing there doing his Spock impersonation) about their relationship has become something of an irritant, if they pace matters too much on the slow side when it comes to pivotal characters discovering what lays beneath the Governor's rice-paper thin facade of gentility it could be a disaster IMHO. Like everyone else I think, I'm hoping it isn't Mid Season 4 before things come to a head between Rick's group and Woodbury.

Just some overall musing after a third viewing of this episode. As always, the mileage of others will of course vary.

Edit/Note: When I say I hope things come to a head between Rick & Co. Vs. The Governor and Co. prior to mid-season 4, I'm not speaking of a RESOLUTION of the conflict between them, but rather the conflict being joined/beginning. I realized after I posted that my prior statement didn't clearly communicate what I was trying to say. Of course such a major conflict is deserving of the time/# of episodes required for it to possess the depth/quality we're all hoping for, I just don't want to be on Episode 3 or 4 of Season *4* and not have both groups well aware of what they're each all about.
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 01-Nov-2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: An Additional Thought

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Wyld man returns!

Wait.....what was that about?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Evilned - Unless they really change it up from the comics, you'd better get used to her. It seems a bit premature to completely hate the character after only one episode, imo. It took nearly two seasons to set up the other characters. Hell, most people hated Daryl Dixon in the first season and now he's a fan favorite.
    How can it be premature to hate something that bugs the hell out of you?

As I said, I hope she gets killed off. Soon.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    The third season so far has been incredible as to how they've managed to pack so much detail and nuance into such swiftly paced material. I was very on the fence when it came to the idea of alternating between mainly focusing on Michonne/Andrea Vs. mainly focusing on Rick and Co. at the prison, but its a gamble that seems to be paying off in a big way so far. I just hope that the pacing remains equivalent in both environments, because Woodbury is positively LITTERED with Season 2 Farm-like momentum-slowing potential. For instance, if they were to keep up the Governor's mysterious forays out of Woodbury to do his dirty deeds and then come home and sell his masses his version of events, there would be a great (possible) temptation for writers to want to expand upon (and thus lengthen) the process of Andrea and to a lesser extent Michonne discovering the "True Governor" and acting accordingly.

As much as the drawn out hesitance in the shots of Rick & Lori talking (or rather Lori talking and Rick standing there doing his Spock impersonation) about their relationship has become something of an irritant, if they pace matters too much on the slow side when it comes to pivotal characters discovering what lays beneath the Governor's rice-paper thin facade of gentility it could be a disaster IMHO. Like everyone else I think, I'm hoping it isn't Mid Season 4 before things come to a head between Rick's group and Woodbury.
    I keep up to date with the trade paperbacks (six issues of the monthly comic in one book), and while vol.17 is yet to come out (which includes issue 100 of the comics), I'm very much enjoying viewing these two versions of the material side-by-side on parallel lines, if you will. The show does surprise me in many ways - events change entirely, or come at totally different times, or are ascribed to different characters, while the general thrust is in the same direction. Andrea and Michonne were never paired off in the comics to encounter Woodbury first and alone together - so that in itself is a totally new dynamic that the showrunners have put in there, and as a reader of the trade paperbacks, it leaves so many options open. You hit a bunch of the same beats, but not necessarily in the same order or in the same way - and I love that - Shane shooting Otis was never in the comics (heck, Shane was dead in issue #6, and the evolution of the love triangle and the bro-down between Rick & Shane was far more satisfying on the show), Dale wasn't killed on the farm, etc, so big shocks are still afforded.

Naturally I knew that Shane was for the chop, I knew that from day one, but it was the journey there that was satisfying. I always knew that by the end of season two he'd be killed off, but it was what happened in getting there that was interesting (especially as the journey was much longer than in the comics). I'm glad they make many departures from the comics in terms of content, while following the main path generally. I get the best of both worlds.

In terms of pace, I agree, I've been amazing by how much they've crammed into these three episodes. While the first episode was light on character introspection, you wouldn't expect to have much of that because of the goals that need to be achieved up front - namely, the processes involved in taking the prison and dealing with new-found survivors. But blimey, the sheer speed of the episodes was a great example of writing - everything drove it forward. Excellent stuff.

I have faith in Mazzara - particularly after all the bitching that the front-seven of season two received regarding pace (yeah, it was a bit slow paced, and the search for Sophia was dragged out too much ... perhaps if they'd been able to have her go missing later into the episodes ... I don't know, because 2x07 had to have the reveal of her in the barn as a mid-season finale gut punch). I don't think Mazzara will allow the show to slow down - he's said numerous times that the pace we've so far seen continues througout the season. You do need episodes that focus more on slower moments too, you can't always be going hell-for-leather (it wouldn't be realistic either), and we should remember also that these are parallel lines of plotting - they're happening simultaneously - so when we cut back to the prison in episode four, if we see nothing of Woodbury, then it's happening at the same time ... or perhaps not yet ... but maybe in future episodes if we get 'exclusive episodes' which don't feature one or t'other groups (by which I mean, it expands time across more episodes, but in-world time is shown twice in two locations ... if that makes sense).

The front-seven of season 2 was over a mere seven days, but because it was shown over seven weeks in our time, it dragged much more in the slower pacing department. When watched in quick succession at your own personal pace, it doesn't drag anywhere near as much as it was perceived to. That doesn't excuse the just-a-bit-too-slow pacing of those episodes, but it is interesting how show time versus our time can change perceptions.