Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x04 "Killer Within" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

England
    I see the Governor made reference to having a daughter
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Fab episode! The teleporting zombies appearing, and then wondering off as required, are a bit annoying... But apart from that
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

United States
    Eh,
    Purpose-driven or not, the sudden covering of a solid 35 yards of open ground in like 2-4 seconds DID make it seem like that pack of Walkers beamed down or something. It might have been a little more forgivable if a torrent of Walkers didn't flood through the group's C-Cellblock to neatly cut off Lori/Maggie/Carl. Without prey to chase, or having the excuse of just having stopped there like the original prisoner-Walkers had, it just seemed weird they were in maximum-lurching-speed tight pack mode going through at least two doorways where its narrow enough only person can pass through at a time (both ends of the cellblock, to get to where they cut off Lori & Co.)

The outside stuff was supported by Andrew's baiting with meat, and opening gates + baiting...but here again we have flesh-homing guided Walkers. Can you call it nitpicking? Sure, in a way. However, using cheat-ish copouts to put Walkers in position to be grave threats has already diminished the innate sense of danger Walkers pose. One scene there's a trio that are so negligible that Rick waves off Glenn's suggestion that they kill them (while they're moving between the cut fence gap getting firewood, between inside and outside the locked walkway), the next you've got mini-hordes pouring like floods down nearly every conceivable path of escape. Pick a SPECTRUM of Walker behavior, from lackadaisical to most-frenzied and STICK WITH IT. Don't keep reinventing the wheel when it comes to how Walkers behave. This isn't a Romero movie, so we don't need notions of an evolution in zombie behavior to muck up an already-awesome setting.

Aaland
    We didn't see Lori get shot and we didn't see what happened to carol.... Does anyone remember carol cutting open the walker.... If Lori was to survive they sure wouldn't show it in the previews.... I don't think kirkman is stupid enough to kill her off just yet. My two cents

Dead

United States

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by botc View Post
    We didn't see Lori get shot and we didn't see what happened to carol.... Does anyone remember carol cutting open the walker.... If Lori was to survive they sure wouldn't show it in the previews.... I don't think kirkman is stupid enough to kill her off just yet. My two cents
    Lori's dead! Not sure about Carol. But there's no way Lori survived. The Talking Dead had her in the memorial piece. And Carl shot her.
    Last edited by babomb; 05-Nov-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: ..

England
    I disliked this character (despised her actually), I thought I would be overjoyed if she died at some stage...but she died well. Kinda sad now.

R.I.P. Lori & T-Dog
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I think that Merle is more concerned with finding the "...prick that cuffed me to the rooftop".

I reckon the mid season finale nonsense will end with Merle showing up at the prison.
    You could be right, I was considering the same sort of thing myself. With so much blood shed already, we can't really afford to have another big loss (perhaps if T-Dog or Lori hadn't died in this episode, one of them could have been 'saved up' for 3x08) ... a possibility could have been Lori being on the verge for a few episodes, and then zombifying in 3x08 - at which point we could have had a really emotional moment. I think that's something we need to see again - enough time to be spent with a dead loved one, and a really sad encounter with them zombified, to help ground it further that these were once people with families. I know that our group is much more efficient now, but they've not had to face one of their own dying for months.

I guess we'll get a good dose of mourning in 3x05, but I would like to see a face-to-face encounter where it's a real struggle for them (think along the lines of Morgan with his undead wife in his rifle sights).

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I disliked this character (despised her actually), I thought I would be overjoyed if she died at some stage...but she died well. Kinda sad now.

R.I.P. Lori & T-Dog
    I mentioned earlier, but I never had a big problem with Lori - yes, she made some ruddy stupid decisions at times, but I did feel that there was a bit of overkill going on in some quarters of the internet fanbase regarding her character (good that she stood up for Lori at Comic-Con ). It's interesting to see some reactions coming in from people who disliked Lori (or actively hated her) now that she's dead. Like her or loathe her, she made a real impact.

I was watching one of the behind the scenes videos relating to the episode that AMC put up every week, and Callies was talking about that scene where she says goodbye to Carl, and she said that this was a speech that Lori had been rehearsing for months - I'd never even thought of that - and that just gave it even more punch. She wanted to make sure she had the perfect thing to say to her son in what would no doubt be the toughest moment of his life ... there's also a mournful sense of inevitability to that for Lori as well, as if she was constantly and painfully aware that she was going to die, regardless of what Hershel or anyone else assured her of.

@Wyld - good call on Chandler Riggs' acting. While all the adults pulled off excellent performances, it's even more impressive for Riggs who doesn't have the years of experience (in life and in acting) that his colleagues do. His shell-shocked stare was superb. They really got themselves a win with Riggs.

I was watching the final scene again, and just that moment when Rick says "oh no" (in that way he does) when he bends down and looks at Carl's face, man, that moment just kills me. It's hard to explain, but the way he says it is just killer. Looking forward to seeing how Daryl copes with this horrific revelation now that he's Vice President of the Ricktatorship, so-to-speak - I'd imagine this will tie them closer still.

I'm also wondering if we'll have a moment where Rick visits Lori's body - surely we must have that scene - by the looks of the preview he takes revenge upon Andrew's body (this is what I assume, anyway), but it'd be really good to have a really heart-wrenching moment between Rick and his dead wife who he not only wasn't able to fully patch things up with, but he missed the birth of (maybe) his 2nd child, and he wasn't there to save her or put her down himself - or just generally be there to witness her death himself and actually say goodbye.

Mmm ... quite an impactful episode!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't think the mid season break will be Merle at the prison. I doubt the Woodbury residents will get to that point until sometime at the end of this season or the next(they're saying two season for the prison arc). If I were to guess, the mid season finale will be Rick's group attacking Woodbury to ahem....retrieve some things.

Super Moderator

United States
    I think the initial reactions are probably as satisfying as seeing this episode (and not having it spoiled )!

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    Now that was good television!
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    Jesus Christ monkey balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Wow, That'sa Spicy Meatball!
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    Nice!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236 View Post
    God damn, Carl is well hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Well holy shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by zomtom View Post
    WOW!! What the hell was that???
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Holy Jaysis, what an episode that was!
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT. WHAT. THE. HELL?!
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    As I said before best show in the history of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    And guys? We've made it. We've finally made it. The Walking Dead hit the ground running from the series premiere and while it has stumbled a bit here and there, you can't deny it's been picking up speed all season. Feels good, brahs. Feels good.

Hell yeah!

So you guys agree, it was better than Cats?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Ok, for someone who on a regular basis criticised acting/dialogue on this show I found it a not unpleasant surprise to find myself with tears in my eyes during the final few scenes of this episode.
    Hot damb that was awesome television.

Now slow the hell down Mazzara and co. Series runs the risk of losing all emotional impact if they keep up this pace.
    Last edited by krisvds; 06-Nov-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post

Now slow the hell down Mazzara and co. Series runs the risk of losing all emotional impact if they keep up this pace.
    I couldn't agree more with this. Even though I've loved things so far, I said the same thing after last episode and feel even more strongly now. I don't think they need to lock it down like 1st half of season 2 (that would be a mistake), but they need to watch their pacing or risk the show running away from them and becoming a tangled farce with less opportunity for emotional buy-in on the part of the audience.

Anyone think they're trying to get certain storylines in before Carl sprouts up to 6 foot 2 with a full beard?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Anyone think they're trying to get certain storylines in before Carl sprouts up to 6 foot 2 with a full beard?
    Kirkman has said that Carl will definitely grow much older within the TV series compared to where he's currently at in the comic. However, I don't think they're trying to rush the story along for that reason. He'll just be an older Carl and eventually a grown man in the show. Which I think gives them the liberty to.....dare I say it....kill off Rick. Let's face it, no matter how long the comic series has run with the character, TV series often lose their leading man after so many seasons. Not that it will happen anytime soon, but I could see it being a possibility....

United States
    I love how the title "The Killer Within" serves double meaning. Nice touch.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

England
    I don't know about anyone else, but im pulling for Merle now. Now we've seen him when he's not on the marching powder, he's a likeable but tough character who seems very concerned about his brother. I would absolutely love him to betray the Governor and join Ricks group. More Michael Rooker is good by me.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I get the feeling he's only more mellow now because The Governor has put him in his place and he won't dare cross him again. I also can't help but feel that not only does he want to find his brother, but he wants to find Rick to get his revenge.