Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Elite: Dangerous (PC game) - Successor to "Elite"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Just got my new machine last week. An i7 4790K with a GeForce 770 GTX and 16gb of RAM.

So, I can't wait for this thing to come out.

Should run as smooth as silk.
    My 6yr old machine (with 1yr GFX card) struggles a little at time, but generally it runs it 40-60fps, which is perfectly playable.

My plan is to upgrade next year onto Intel's new hardware and Micro$oft's new OS.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I've just "upgraded" to Windows 7 after being with XP for 10 years or more.

I can see the same thing happening.

I avoided Vista (wife's laptop) and was forced to have 8 on my laptop. Neither of which I like(d).

To be honest, I'm getting sick of the rapidity with which Micro$oft releases operating systems. It's a pain in the arse for the consumer generally, transfering everything over. It's taken me the better part of a week to get the new machine up and running the way I want.

There's absolutely no need for it except financial gain.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Well Beta 2 hasn't been received that well by some. For some reason they changed the flight model/mechanics from the previous version, and many think it's for the worse.

I think I agree too. They've trying forcing the ships to fly like planes in space, and all the nerfs and odd behaviours they've done to try and force this means the combat feels "flattened" and less interesting.

There's talk of them dialing it back, but I fear we'll never see the lovely flight model that was in Beta 1 again
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Utter genius!

Frontier Developments release this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6peGu2yG6o

Meanwhile... - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZeO-4F45WM
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Still not sure wether to buy this or not.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Still not sure wether to buy this or not.
    If you're a dip in/out and play sort of guy... No.

If you don't mind dedicating a lot of time to a learning curve and income grind, then consider it...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Hey Neil,

In your honest opinion, is this game worth getting at the moment? Or does it need a few more months in the pot. BTW, I was a big fan of 'Elite' when I was a kid.

Administrator

England
    Hey Neil,

In your honest opinion, is this game worth getting at the moment? Or does it need a few more months in the pot. BTW, I was a big fan of 'Elite' when I was a kid.
    If you haven't got it yet, I'd say wait to see how it pans out. There lots of talk about potential but I'm slightly concerned it might all just be "potential".

My concern is a lot of the talk might be akin to the Generation Ships in the original Elite. Remember how those were mentioned in the manual, and how you always hoped to bump into one... and they never existed?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If you're a dip in/out and play sort of guy... No.

If you don't mind dedicating a lot of time to a learning curve and income grind, then consider it...
    I think I've decided to wait at least until "No Mans Sky" is released. At which point I'll take a look at both and pick one to buy. Right now, it's leaning towards No Man's Sky.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I think I've decided to wait at least until "No Mans Sky" is released. At which point I'll take a look at both and pick one to buy. Right now, it's leaning towards No Man's Sky.
    I think waiting (for ED) is the right move.

As for NMS, I've no idea at all what the gameplay actually is! It might be a wonderful sandbox box but there's nothing to really do in it!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If you haven't got it yet, I'd say wait to see how it pans out. There lots of talk about potential but I'm slightly concerned it might all just be "potential".

My concern is a lot of the talk might be akin to the Generation Ships in the original Elite. Remember how those were mentioned in the manual, and how you always hoped to bump into one... and they never existed?
    Ah right. I might hold off and see what happens with it then.

Looks great though.

Administrator

England
    Well this is good news I feel. So far from ramping development down...

To make this happen we’re expanding the team working on the game so that we can maintain a regular schedule of updates as well as working on paid expansions.

We’ll also be having beta test periods for these major updates and access to these will be open to players who already have beta access for the game. More details on this will be revealed in the coming weeks.
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Have you played any more of the released game?

Have the dev team added anything more to it?

Administrator

England
    Have you played any more of the released game?

Have the dev team added anything more to it?
    I'm playing regularly

The next major update will be in 2-3 weeks when amongst other things they'll be adding "Wings" which is a means of allowing groups of people (friends) to fly/play togethor. How much this will add, and what else will be in that 1.1 update I do not know.

But there other things in there too - eg: They're beefing up the graphics for gas giants too.

I'm done with exploring until there's enough been added to make the experience more "interesting"...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I'm thinking of having a punt on it soon. Might wait til after the next patch.

The price is still pretty hefty at the moment, but the more I read, the more I like.