Thread: Flight Simulator 2020 (PC game) - This is utterly astonishing!

Administrator

England

Flight Simulator 2020 (PC game) - This is utterly astonishing!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I recently had to downgrade to Windows 10 and one of the biggest decisions was whether of or not to port over my install of FSX to the new hard drive. My FSX folder was humongous, with all the add on airports and cities, planes and skins, etc.

I had no idea that M$ were doing another flight sim and, literally, just found out a couple of days ago. Some of the bids floating around YouTube are magnificent. But, I have to say that also some were just meh. My biggest issue, though, is how this thing will run. FSX was an absolute dog and still is, despite being 14 years old. It had severe issues with how it used memory and far too often would cause problems with textures, making landing at some airports a slideshow, or it would crash (to desktop), and in mid flight across the Atlantic to JFK, that was a right pain in the arse.

This effort seems to be taking map and weather info from the web, so obviously a fast internet connection will be a must. But besides that, I haven't found out any news of what it's like just to run. Hopefully, it runs reasonably well and I've recently bumped up my GPU and I'm think of adding an extra 16gb or RAM to bring things up to 32gb (although for gaming that has a minimal impact).

At over $100, this thing will be expensive and if I do get it, I certainly don't want it running at 3 FPS over Heathrow.

"This is Shootem Airlines, I'm coming in for a Seven, Zero, Niner....

...oh bollox..."
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    "I recently had to downgrade to Windows 10" - Huh?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    7 is better.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    7 is better.
    Hmmm... OK
    -Carl Sagan