Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Elite: Dangerous (PC game) - Successor to "Elite"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    This is coming to the Xbone
    Indeed... Looks like some Arena game play modes too?

But is there the suggestion of content coming to the XBone before the PC? Prepare for the pitch forks given the game is only here because of the PC community kickstarting it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5J5hCAC4c
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    You guys might enjoy this. Came after the Elite Dangerous announcement.

https://youtu.be/XWK_WCSR_vk
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    So Elite Dangerous: Horizons announced. This is basically planetary landings on objects with no atmostphere etc. Scheduled to be released around the end of the year...

Personally unless it adds more/deeper mechanics I can't see it helping the game myself, which is in desperate need of deeper more varied stuff to do, and ideally deeper mechanics to start giving birth to emergent gameplay.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Et5Ivi_yIg
    [STARTS AT 8 MINUTES IN]

They had a Livestream last night showing off some of what to expect with (no atmosphere) planetary surfaces in the forthcoming V2 ("Horizons") in a few months...

A very interesting watch IMHO.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well, here's my "Distant Disc" mission video and notes... I believe I have reached the most distant systems from the core... It's my farewell nod to the game for a while I suspect...

Missions notes - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...1416&p=3548585

Note: This video will not play on a mobile device, or if you are in Germany! Sorry! It's because of the backing track I used...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQejIcCgpTA
    If you simply cannot watch the above version (on a PC) for some reason, here's an alternative with free music from youtube which therefore has no limitations on access - [click]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    For those of us who don't play Elite, what's a distant disc and the significance of it?

No Man's Sky is released in 3 months I believe. I wish some aspects of this game and that game would mix.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    For those of us who don't play Elite, what's a distant disc and the significance of it?

No Man's Sky is released in 3 months I believe. I wish some aspects of this game and that game would mix.
    "The Distant Disc" is my attempt to reach the most distant systems from the galactic core...

I believe I achieved it

Read the missions notes if you want more a full run down of it - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...1416&p=3548585

NMS will be interesting to see...
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well I'd have to say the latest 2.1 release hasn't been very successful. While it has improves some areas, its corner stone new gameplay, "The Engineers", IMHO is an over-bloated random-grind-fest introducing no real gameplay, but instead inane almost cynical new mechanics. It's actually driven me to stop playing!

In truth, in the last year this game has moved forwards very little...

Worrying!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Been about a year since I last played. Can't see myself getting too bothered to try again TBH, unless something spectacular happens.

Still think 'Star Citizen' is going to destroy this in short order.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Been about a year since I last played. Can't see myself getting too bothered to try again TBH, unless something spectacular happens.

Still think 'Star Citizen' is going to destroy this in short order.
    They just keep seeming to add more non-content? ie: Nothing that actually makes things deeper or more involved.

The latest Engineers mechanics are basically a random-inane-click fest!

They had a chance ot make a truly great game, slowly building and improving it... But they're blowing it!

I don't know if it's the management or designers at fault... But someone is making bad bad choices!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    So... Six years after release...

So, will the new "space legs" create enough worthwhile gameplay value for the huge development effort going into it? Or will it create a novely/niche feature most CMDRs will bother with? And/or a whole new bunch of gameplay mechanics and balancing issues for Frontier to struggle with?

And will the plant life mentioned by clevery procedurally generated on a plethora of scientically sensible values, or just be half a dozen hard coded/artist generated variations? Because, IMHO if these plants are not being created by a solid/clever procedural engine, then they are almost a waste of effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpe7ULtkYbU
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I've been meaning to jump back into Elite for a wee while. Was playing again for a bit a year ago, but little had changed. It was still just all about the grind and I dropped out again pretty quickly.

The space legs thing that's been rumoured for years looks like an ok idea. But there still needs to be something to do, which in Elite, there's not much of really.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 19-Aug-2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I've been meaning to jump back into Elite for a wee while. Was playing again for a bit a year ago, but little had changed. It was still just all about the grind and I dropped out again pretty quickly.

The space legs thing that's been rumoured for years looks like an ok idea. But there still needs to be something to do, which in Elite, there's not much of really.
    The question with Space Legs is how much gameplay will it bring. Risk is it will be as pooly considered and engaging as Multicrew, which was an appalling waste of time!
    -Carl Sagan