Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scariest Zombie Movies

Dying

United States

Scariest Zombie Movies

What do you feel are the scariest zombie movies ever made? I can't think of any at the moment, so I'll just leave this here for others to chime in.

UK
    Day of the Dead 2: Contagium - It still sends a shiver down the spine to even think about that one, but for all the wrong reasons!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    What do you feel are the scariest zombie movies ever made? I can't think of any at the moment, so I'll just leave this here for others to chime in.
    Going to be either Dawn or Day IMHO... And this is not just for their shock/terror, but more for their undercurrent or tone that seems to stick in your mind long after you've finished watching them. ie: They give you dreams/nightmares!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    The Dead creepy as hell

United States
    As much as Ted Turner gets a bad rap...I watched the original Night on Goodtimes VHS (in living color!) and couldn't sleep for many nights. It still doesn't have the impact but as a kid....it messed me up something fierce!

United States
    for me, it's either night or day.

night traumatized me as a kid, especially since i lived close to a cemetery. it still has a very creepy vibe to it for me, dunno if it's just because it was the original ghoul film and how awesome it was from start to finish, or if it's just nostalgia. the fact that all main characters die by the end was pretty crazy to me upon my first viewing....with the local militia taking charge of the situation by the end of the film, things almost looked under control, however. but as for that night, it was like hell on earth for those in the farmhouse.

as for day, i didn't catch it till much later in my youth, but that film has some teeth, for sure. such a sense of hopelessness and dread throughout. from the abandoned streets of the city fill with the dead, to the palpable tensions between the scientists and soldiers, the onslaught of ghouls at the end, etc. and the effects, music, etc. just fit that film perfectly.

unfortunately, no films since then have really came close for me as far as lasting impact or sense of dread. the walking dead is about the best thing since then, but since it's more of an ongoing series than a film, it's got a lot more time/budget/etc to work with so it doesn't really count.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    as for day, i didn't catch it till much later in my youth, but that film has some teeth, for sure. such a sense of hopelessness and dread throughout. from the abandoned streets of the city fill with the dead, to the palpable tensions between the scientists and soldiers, the onslaught of ghouls at the end, etc. and the effects, music, etc. just fit that film perfectly.
    Amen brother!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    'Day of the Dead' hands down.

Nothing comes close to it. Nothing at all. It's grim, dirty, depressing and hopeless.

Thank christ Romero didn't have the pennies to make the script he wanted and was forced to pare back, because he managed to deliver the greatest item in his whole catalogue.

The idea of being trapped in that silo when the lift is coming down with all the zombies on it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Basically, I agree with the Prof.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    I agree with a lot of the above on Day of the Dead. It's a great and engaging horror film for anyone who gives it a chance and holds up when looked at from several different angles. Even some of the things that I used to think were production detriments (such as the soldiers' acting, for example) when I was a younger, I have since realized were quite a boon to the overall feel of the film. Tension, frustration, fear, so many of the psychological and visceral touchstones of horror, only the barest shred of hope, isolation...I could go on and on.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue is absolutely the scariest zombie film I've seen. It has the sense of darkness and primal fear that the first Night had, and plays the horror in a similarly modern fashion, yet it manages this whilst also keeping one foot firmly in the old-school "Gothic crypts n' foggy moonlight" camp, and the result is something entirely unique.

It also helps that the types of Lake District and Peak District locations used are very familiar to me from childhood holidays in those areas (and don't look a million miles different to some of the locations I grew up in), and I can distinctly remember being eight years old, sitting in the back seat of the car as it wound its way around those kinds of eerily desolate country roads, passing ramshackle old churches, ancient cemeteries and burial grounds, and scaring myself by imagining the dead rising from their tombs to chase us. Happening upon a horror film many year later that played upon the very same locations with that very same idea, well, as you can imagine, it had quite an effect on me.

The movie just manages to combine the outlandish with the (to me) mundane, in such an unsettling way.

United States
    I can't really give a full movie, because I'm not really scared by any of it like I was when I was a kid.
    But...
    There are a few scenes that I feel funky watching alone.
    1. The scene in Reanimator where the bodies rise from the tables. I went to a cousin's anatomy class when I was 13, and would've shat myself silly if anything had twitched.
    2. The first zombie being reanimated in Return of the Living Dead 3. That emaciated guy is one of the best zombies I've ever seen. Not sure I'd do anything more than curl into a ball if that guy was coming at me. I'm pretty sure my shorts would be choked with poo, though.

I will try out a few of these suggestions in the thread. I'd love to see something that could still scare the crap out of me.

United States
    Yeah, no zombie movies really SCARE me any more like when I was younger, but there are some that did that still hold moments of dread & creepyness that are effective. Night, Dawn & Day for sure. Fulci's "Zombie" (Zombi 2, Zombie Flesh Eaters) still has some great moments to it. (Same w/ The Beyond & Gates of Hell. While on Italian ones, Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror has some effective creepy scenes as well. The Spanish Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, as Krackers mentions, fits in here well also.)

The Dead, as mentioned, is one of the best of modern times. The end of of the BBC miniseries Dead Set was pretty edge-of-your-seat stuff for me.

Childern Shouldn't Play With Dead Things also as some good creepy stuff for an older flick.

[REC] would be an appropriate one to mention here as well.

That's all I can think of off the top o' me head for the moment. Have to check de collection to see if there are more. Got burned out on zed flicks for awhile & haven't watched them in a long time.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 30-Nov-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: .

California, but i used to live in Spain since i was born, till now.
    United States
    1 Day of the dead 1985
    2 Lucio Fulci's Zombi 1979
    3 Return of the living dead 1985
    4 Night of the living dead Remake 1990
    5 Dawn of the dead 1978

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    [REC] would be an appropriate one to mention here as well.
    Aye, good call Moon.

The ending of 'REC' was some of the creepiest minutes put into a recent horror film. That night vision thing with that creepy bitch knocking around in the background was well done.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Twitching

United States
    1) Dawn and Day, pretty much a straight tie for grim onslaught and being the ultimate siege models. Eclipsing even Night. (Each gets 4.5 out of 5 skulls for horror, atmosphere and overall impact)

2) The Night remake. I don't know what it is about that film..maybe the color, maybe the far superior zombie appearances/makeup...but I do know that having a Barbara who was the tough, quiet survivor and observer throughout the carnage made it even sadder and more horrifying to me. Sure, the first time you see the house breach in the Original Night has epic punch. Yet Barbara WALKING away from the house, and NUDGING zombies out of her way with the barrel of her revolver while weeping.....It was the first example of a "Not Everyone Dies" zombie movie model that still had a major emotional effect on me. IMO, The Night remake is hands down the best retelling of a great original movie I've ever seen. (4 out of 5 skulls, sadly not because of its quality, but because by definition a remake, however well-done, has lost at least a LITTLE of the original's dread and emotional impact, simple because you've seen it before.

3) The Dead. I JUST got finished watching this on SyFy (which out of respect cut the commercials by at least 2/3), and let me tell you. I THOUGHT I was beyond the tense, heavy ball-in-the-gut anxiousness and general FEAR the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT SHAMBLERS of this movie evoked in me. Add to that the African environment being an AWESOME atmosphere for a slow-zombie film, if for nothing else the amazing use of that environment in keeping the pressure on and the anxiety wired tight to your brainstem. I actually SHIVERED when

Daniel yelled to have the lights turned on, and when they were it was like WHAM, there they all are and you two are five seconds reaction time from being hopelessly mobbed. This scene was heightened for me by their earlier argument over using the water to get the truck running because the dead were all over the place there as well...that time Brian was right and Daniel was wrong. However, come nightfall and the truck wreck, Daniel was right and Brian damned near got them massacred with his "The lights will draw them in" thinking...when the lights going on made it obvious the horde was WELL AWARE of PRECISELY where they were. The back and forth here got to me...as did the rock climbing to get away from the zombies in the Devil's Claw...and the camp with the string-can-rock alarm and all.
    (5 out of 5 Skulls. This movie may actually give me nightmares.)